recording drum tracks

confused

hi,i just want to know whether it is possible to record the guitar and bass first then the drums?i'm trying to record a demo trough my comp.tanx

you can do it any way you prefer. that's the most important. no right or wrong way.

only thing to take note of is the constant tempo and accent. best if you have all the parts written out on paper. all the syncopation and phrasing.

Confused.

you should be a guitarist or bassist right? Most poeple who choose to do it this way are guitar players. Like what soft said, there is neither right nor wrong. Just the way you prefer. How are you doing the drums? Sequencing? Just need to be careful that your rythmn grooves the same way as your guitar / bass.

Regards
Robin

well i used to do this.

record guitar/bass/vocals at home. (macam acoustic) then convert into walkman/cassette (as a guide).

drummer listens to walkman/cassette player and drums. while my MD recorder (the old school Sharp one.) records.

then bring home convert MD > wav and sync manually. but thats the old school days. there're more recording methods but it'll cost a little more i guess.

hehe.yeah,we are doing it the old skool way.no budget.i thought of recording the drums using a mic connected to a laptop.

mic > laptop , mic > mp3 player , mic > md , mic > handphone voicemail etc etc. heheh either way , as long as it's a portable recording medium.

cheers.

You can do that... however, drums and bass is the sense of groove and rhythm. Timing will be out in the sense... It really depends on the genre you are doing. For a simple demo for reference, it's ok!! But if you plan to push it out, you need that sense of timing and groove. I suggest you sequence some drums and bass out first and play your guitars over it.
If the genre is funk, drum&bass or those that the drums and bass form a large part, you have to start of with drums and bass...

Back