recording bass, guitar and vox

daryl

i wanna record bass, guitar and vocal tracks. planning to mic up the amps. will be recording them separately. i dont need top quaility stuff, something decent will do. what do i need? is audacity a good enough software? haha i know thay are very general questions but i know nothing about recording so please help!

how are you going to get the sound into the computer? what gears do you currently have?

thats what im asking! like what mics do i need, a mixer or something?, cables? i have a gibson sg and a peavey 5150 and planning to get a fender bass and an amp. thing is i dont know how to record properly. i currently use a 10dollar com mike to record everything using audacity.

"planning to get a fender bass and an amp" and you use a 10 dollar mike?

thats more than half the battle lost when it comes to recording..

90¢ worth.

daryl, if u are recording at home, just plan to get 1 do-it-all condenser mic and a decent mixer and you are set to record your bass, vocals and guitars.. i'm not familiar with the specific models of microphones but i think if u pop down to hung brother's at simlim on a weekday when its not so crowded and look for genghis or douglas, i'm sure they can point u to the correct stuff.. think a decent condenser is like $500 nowadays? Decent mixer brands include mackie and yamaha, behringer if u are on a low budget.

The other way is to just get a shure SM57 for the instrument amp mic-up and maybe an SM58 for vocals. This is a better option also if your room acoustics are not so great. they retail for $100+ each..

cheers.

thanks indigo blues, most useful reply i've gotten. since i'll be recording the stuff separately, it'll be enough for me to get 1 mic to share between the guitar and bass amps right?

so for your 'otherway' i'll just need to buy the various mics and record using audacity.. no need for a mixer right? sorry im really a beginner

indigo : he mentioned he doesn't know how to record properly.

i'm thinking he's using a cheap mic with a earphone jack, plugged into his soundcard into audacity.

he'll need

[mic (sm57/58 whatever] > [preamp] > [soundcard]

which the option that probably I'd go with is using a presonus firebox.
http://www.presonus.com/firebox.html

mic > presonus firebox > computer (make sure your computer have firewire)

yah. ok.

Daryl, what's your computer like? Can u describe it to us first? What soundcard do you have? All these are important considerations.

ill check the specs of my com when i get back home. thanks for helping. my com doesnt have firewire but i have a com in the other room which i could use.

If you can afford to spend $300+, I recommend Line6's Toneport, UX2. It's got amp modelling for guitars and bass and separate mic in for vocals. It also doubles up as a soundcard for your computer and it works with lots of software. If you don't need too many tracks or can make do with 6 or less then head on over to www.acidmusic.com to download their freebie software which offers 6 tracks.

Good luck
RoRK

hmm yah, but i think daryl intends to record his peavey 5150.. so this would probably not be what he's looking at..

still its an option cause mic-ing an amp can be a real headache to get a 'nice' sound from. More variables to control.

hm... oh yeah the line 6 thing sounds good. for only 300 plus. and it sounds relatively foolproof haha. should be good for me.

i do intend to mic up my 5150 but i'll probably need to spend more, no? with the mics and the mixer. i'll go check out the line 6 thingy thanks rork!

Miking the amp isn't an easy thing to do. You still need a good mic. If you have the budget, just head to City Music and give the Toneport a try. Just make sure that input levels aren't too high or the unit will simply shut off automatically. Other than that it's really value for money.

Cheers
RoRK

My opinions differ from the rest of you guys...
For guitar amp, that is very important, without that, guitars really sound dull. Line in on guitars is worse than using a $10 mic. I feel you need to get a guitar amp as it's more practical. Than get a SM57 (many others can be used too) to mic the amp.
Get a USB mixer for your inputs, toneport ain't very worthy as it only has 2 inputs and cost pretty much. Get a USB mixer from Yamaha or M-audio, that will really solve your problems on inputing to the pc.
For bass, just get a DI box, they cost roughly $200.
The SM57 can be used for vocals, though not fantastic. You can start with that first if you are really tight. Ultimately, a good condenser would be worthy of choice, find one that fits your voice well....

well i'm a guy who prefers mic up amps than direct line in. but toneport isn't that bad, I do really think that in comparison with nice amp + $10 mic VS toneport DI. toneport would win. besides toneport has 2 mic pre amps, so the option of miking up an amp later is still there. but of course this boils down to personal preference.

Back