Recommendations for Audio Recording Inferface for Acoustic Guitar & Vocals?

Well, I could only say the effect and sim amp can be done inside the DAWs....example: Guitar Gig,Amplitube.....

what about DAW? does line6 pod studio ux2 comes with any? or you intend to get reaper?

presonus would be known for "better preamps" than line6 i believe. but check out what each one throws in and how you would fully utilize your funds fully. upgradability would be up to any stereo recording until you decide to do multitrack drums recording or stick to midi e-drums etc.

if you're on a laptop you can drop by citymusic and with installed drivers and give it a test run, as that's what i did before I bought my Zoom R16. I did latency/multi track recording on the spot haha.

HEY FELLOW SOFTIES!

I've FINALLY gotten my gear! And they are as follows:

Line 6 Pod Studio UX2
Audio Technica AT2035 Condenser Mic
Mic Stand + Pop filter
Beats Solo HD Headphones (with 3.5mm stereo heads, i.e. with 2 black lines right?)
Some existing mono guitar cables (i.e. with only 1 black line, right?)
Converter (male 3.5mm stereo, female 1/4")

My Pod Studio comes with the following softwares:
POD Farm 2
Ableton Live Lite
Riffworks
Reason Adapted 4 (Line 6 Edition)

I tried setting it up with my ASUS K43SV laptop, but I ran into some problems, and have spent the last 2 days trying to figure out the stuff, but every minute seems to make me more and more confused >.<

These are my problems:
1. When I plug in my Pod Studio, for some reason I cannot use the laptop speakers for its output.
It seems like the only way for me to hear myself would be to plug in my headphones (headphones > 3.5mm - 1/4" converter > 1/4" mono guitar cable > UX2). That however, presents another 2 problems.

2. During RECORDING, the sound comes out from the laptop speakers. However, during PLAYBACK, the sound comes out from the headphones. ALSO, the sound is only coming out from the left side of the headphones (although its playing both left & right side sounds).

3. During recording, it sounds very soft for both mic and instrument inputs. For the mic input, it only becomes louder when I turn up the Mic Gain knob past the midway point.

4. I'm not exactly sure how does the POD Farm work, but somehow, i can only activate any 2 out of the 4 available inputs (2 mic, 2 instrument) via the Line 6 Settings thingy on the control panel.

I tried the above with Audacity, if that helps. I've read some of the user manuals provided by the Line 6 website but i'm still pretty clueless about this whole thing.

Would anyone be able to shed some light here?? I'm pretty desperate to get it up and running!! :(
Appreciate the help! :)

1-The POD farm's only output is the UX2 so you can only hear it through headphones or monitors you hook up to the UX2. You MAY be able to get the output to be your laptop speakers IF you change the deafult audio device to the UX2 but I doubt that is the case and I've never tried it.

2-Check your settings for the recording software you're using, which I'm guessing is ableton. In the control panel, check that you have the right audio I/O tailored to your needs.

3-Your vol can be affected by, guitar vol, mic gain, output vol, headphone vol, your voice/your playing style. Check which one of these you wanna increase. Also, in your recording software, you can also increase the vol in the EQ.

4-Sorry but POD farm only has dual channels so even though UX2 has 4 ins, you only get to use 2.

Hope this helps and have fun with your UX2 as much as I'm having, though I'd reccomend you change the recording software. I've switched back to Cubase and I've never been happier.

Wow thanks XLayaR for the quick reply!

Ohhh that clears some smoke... But for your first point, i've switched the setting here and there, and for some of it, I don't even get ANY sound at all!

And i've tried the Ableton Live Lite, but that kinda added more chaos to my already confused head. Hahaha!

I'm VERY new to this stuff and if you don't mind, would you be able to guide me through the whole process of setting up the UX2 to starting my first proper recording?? I guess a fresh restart would be clearer than troubleshooting the process as I cannot remember what di I do exactly... That's 2 days worth of meddling around with the stuff, so i might have messed up some stuff here and there >.<

Also, for the sound coming out on only the left side of my headphones, could it be because the guitar cable that I'm using to connect my headphones to the "Phones" jack on the UX2 is a mono cable while the jacks on both my headphones and the UX2 are stereo?
I'm thinking of getting a custom stereo 3.5mm - 2x Mono 1/4" cable from Luthermusic so that I can plug it into the 2 jacks on the rear-right side of the UX2. Would that solve that problem? :p

fauxfire: what operating system are you using?
and where did you get it from? citymusic? because I think they should have trained staff to at least get you on the right track with their display-set-DAWs..

I'm on a Windows 7 Home Premium OS!
Well, I've been clicking around with the Sound Options around to see if i can get the sound to come out the right way, but nothing seems to work. I guess i'm doing it all wrong..?

Currently, I have the latest Pod Farm 2 and its drivers installed, together with 3 different DAWs (Ableton Live Lite, Audacity & Acoustica Mixcraft 4.5). Any idea how to set it up properly? I'm looking around the net to see if I can get my hands on a Cubase since that's what recommended by a lot of people. :D

And yea i got it from CityMusic. I actually intended to go down this evening to get an adaptor, so I can also shun bian ask them about it.

Geezz... Setting the gear up is more complicated than I thought. >.<

you can only purchase cubase or get it together with the audio interface via Cubase LE.

ask the citymusic guys first. I can't help you now cos I gotta prepare for recording.

Hey all!

I've got down to citymusic and the nice guys there have helped me set up my UX2 already.
So i've got both signals in and out no problem.

However, i'm faced with new problems now! Hope u guys can help me!
The first thing is, the headphones that i'm using currently are the Beats Solo HD by Dr. Dre.
It comes with a 3.5mm stereo cable, but the output jack on the UX2 is a 1/4" stereo jack.
So I got an adaptor and plugged in my headphones.
Yea, I could hear stuff, but I kept hearing weird "click", "punk" and "tink" sounds from it.
This problem only persisted with the guitar plugged in.
So, could this be a problem with the headphones (meaning that i should get a dedicated pair of headphones for monitoring?),
or the cable (due to the adaptor and all, hence I should get a proper cable)?

The second problem is when I have my guitar plugged in.
There seems to be a delay in the recording and playback.
I checked all settings to make sure there are no echo or delay effects on, but it was still like that.
Any ideas about this?

Appreciate all the help! :D

"click", "punk" and "tink" sounds" , sounds like "Beats" literally alright sorry j/k.

the adaptor is fine, I do that as well. maybe you can record "click/tink/punkrock" mp3s and upload for us to check it out? if not try other headphones or another adapter. may be poor connection.

if i'm not wrong, the delay is caused by "latency"

because I don't have Line6, but most audio interfaces operate similar.
1) there should be an audio interface setup control panel or something after you installed your drivers. try play around with the buffer size etc.
2) in your DAW , there'll be another setup to adjust priorities or whatever.
3) just a side note : disable your wireless LAN or LAN internet connection before recording it does improve performance hehe.

just remember, the latency is caused by either poor performance or poor settings.
either your com cannot make it and you set your settings is set as if it can.
or your com actually can make it, but you set your settings as if it can't.

dropouts / latency can also happen if you stack too many cpu intensive plugins. or if you got too many things running on in the background.

if your com cannot make it and your settings cannot also, then it shouldn't be a DAW to start with. but that shouldn't apply to you since you're using Win7 hehe.

gd luck!

Meaning the problem come when plug in the guitar? If normal playback have no problem, then the audio interface is fine.
Search your DAW for latency setting. Put as low as possible for recording. Then set it high when you done recording and start to edit and putting effects.

Hi Fauxfire,

There is another way to go about doing DIY recording apart from getting audio interface and getting stuck with your laptop or computer all the time.

It might be slightly out of your budget but if you can hunt a 2nd hand unit or wait for the year end city music sale, maybe you can consider the Zoom H4n

http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/h4n

In essence, it is an audio recorder. But apart from being able to directly record through it’s inbuilt mic, it is a portable audio interface that can be used with or without being connected to the computer. The inbuilt microphones are actually quite good themselves, so you can actually avoid getting extra microphones, but if you wish to, you could connect up 2 two mics and record them simultaneously.

You can check out the website for more info, and do search HD videos of this product on youtube to get an idea of what the audio quality is like. I’ve mainly used them to record live gigs so for, but from all the diy acoustic sets done on youtube, I think it will be a very useful tool for your needs.

edit: eh paiseh, i didn't read your latest post when i replied. the line 6 ux is a great choice

Last edited:
Blueprintstudios & Kongwee:

Woooo thanks guys! I followed some of your suggestions, and it turns out that the delay effect is persistent not only when the guitar is plugged in, but also when the mic and my iphone(i'm using it for drums for now) line in as well!

I tried lowering the latency, but the problem still persisted, so I did a little more searching on the net and someone suggested muting the UX2 option when you open up the sound options. And it worked! The delay is gone now, but what i'm puzzled about is that this feels like i'm just avoiding the problem and not solving it. Any ideas anyone?

Also, the crackling sound that I mentioned earlier seems to be coming from my Beats headphones itself and not from the sound/signal coming out from the UX2. I've gotten a pair of dedicated headphones for monitoring and it works fine, so could it be the adaptor problem or just that the Beats Solo HDs are just not for monitoring purposes?

Anyhow, my gear is up and running now, so maybe when I'm able to record some stuff i'll post it up here? Hope to receive some constructive comments then! :)

Madwerewolfboy:
Hey! Thanks for the suggestion! When the time comes for me to expand my range of equipments, I'll have that in mind!

To all:
I found out while playing around with the Pod Farm 2 that some of the preset are not totally available!

Some setups have a few components "translucent"-ed, saying something about that particular piece of "equipment" is not available or suitable.
Does this mean that there is something like an "In-app purchase" kinda thing in the POD Farm 2, or just that they just won't work with an acoustic guitar plugged in?

Thanks for all the help!

It should work regardless of whatever the input is (be it guitar vocals bass). Its probably because you don't have the model packs required for that particular preset, but if I'm not wrong you should be able to access all the model packs with a purchase of the hardware, unless you're using an older model.

Are you using a Tonepod or a Pod Studio, if so, how old is it?

Either way, check your authorizations in L6 Monkey, see if your applications are authorized and the model packs are there. Also are you using Pod Farm 2 or 2.5, DON'T upgrade to 2.5 as its buggy as hell. Heck I'm still using my Pod Farm 1 that was with my X3 Live years back.

Hey there xfigox! Thanks for the swift reply!

Hmmn... I'm using a Pod Studio UX2 which i just got from CityMusic about a week ago.
The POD Farm 2 comes with it, so does that count as purchasing it?

And yea! When I first set it up, i updated EVERYTHING with the Line6 Monkey, and NOTHING worked.
So I followed Blueprintstudio's advice and brought all my stuff down to CityMusic for them to set it up for me.
In the end, they re-installed my drivers and all and told me not to update to 2.5 as well.
Also, I'm very sure I have authorised both the laptop and the UX2.

Hmmn... How do we check the model packs??
And does Line 6 release some free model packs every now and then for download?

Oh I assume you use the POD Farm too right? Did you encounter the delay problem that I mentioned?

:)

To check your model packs you have to run line6 License Manager, you can get to there using the Monkey->Optional Add Ons and run the program from there. Once in the program, they will prompt you to login, then check your devices at the left, check if your Pod Studio has all the expansion packs:
Bass Expansions
Collector Classics
FX Junkie
Metal Shop
Power Pack
Also check if your computer is authorized, don't mess around too much with the authorization thingy, lots of people has been locked out because they ran out of authorizations. Line 6 is pretty darn inefficient in handling their software stuff.

Since you've bought your UX2 a week ago, it should come with all the model packs and you should be able to use all of the modules and stuff in the pod farm.

They only release model packs or new stuff like once in a blue moon. There was only 1 update that gave us X3 users more effects to use, 1 in like 2 years +?? So don't expect lots of freebies from them :p

Regarding the latency, I don't have any noticeable ones if I'm running a few instances of pod farm in my DAW (I can't use the standalone cause I'm not authorized to). However, if I'm working on a project file with like tonnes of tracks,plugins and soft synths then the delay from the input monitoring will kick in.

Ohhh alright! I'll go check once i'm off work today. :)
Just wished that they could at least sort out the different presets according to different tone styles, i.e. Acoustic, Distortion, Overdrive, etc etc...
Beats having to scroll up and down trying out the countless number of presets. :p

Hmmn... So how do u solve the delay issue? I can't seem to find a proper solution online... >.<
Btw, I chanced upon this phrase, something about installing POD Farm as an VST plugin for the DAW...
What does that mean..?

Well my delay issue isn't really an issue but its a limitation of the processing power required to run all the plugins thus causing the delay (that's what I think is the problem for me).

POD farm allows you to load pod farm up as a effect plugin in your DAW. So that way you can add the effects in POD farm onto a dry signal (vocal,guitar bass etc.) on a audio track.

If you need more help I can assist you in teamviewer after your work if you want, just drop me a PM or something.

Ohhhh kinda like the effects in Audacity, am I right?

Haha yea i'll appreciate that! I'll certainly do when I need some help!
Thanks loads! :D

Yes indeed, the good thing about this is that if you only want to use, say a particular amp head in Pod Farm but don't want to use its cabinet simulation in it, you can load up pod farm as an effect in your audio track and put a 3rd party plugin that does the cabinet simulation after the pod farm in the signal chain. This way you can mix and match different modules instead of just sticking to POD Farm alone.

No problem, just feel free to drop me a PM, I MIGHT be able to help with your latency issue.

Back