recommend pickups?

fibredrive

hi all;

wondering if anyone can recommend me some humbucker pickups. well, really don't know much abt these things so treat me as a relative newbie.
am looking for lead sounds like van halen (am i asking too much??) and rhythm sounds like Creed or the like. play mostly barr chord straight on strumming kinda stuff i suppose...:)
pardon me if its a silly question, just wondering if changing my pickups will make a lot of diff in my sound actually? :oops:
am playing a simple Samick artists edition LP copy. all stock config nothing changed. yep.
all advice / tips will be much appreciated!

thks!

p.s. how much will it normally cost?

and yes i know its the player that makes the diff not so much the equipment. but puttin that debate aside, any tips?
:D
cheers,

pickups

if you're looking for hard rocking pickups u can check out EMG 81s. They give a really heavy crunch, like creed. Kirk Hammett and James Hetfield of Metallica uses them as well. I have 2 of these humbuckers from hell installed on my guitar, It's total madness I tell u. Combine them with Radial's Tonebone and you get a rollercoaster ride into hell and back!

hehe. rollercoaster ride into hell and back. very vivid. think i'll stick to earth for now. :)
but EMG's are actives aren't they, so what kind of mods am i talking abt on my guit? how abt the dimarzio evolutions? any good?

what i think is that, evolutions are more for erm, solo kind of stuffs. if you want those rythm stuffs, and have that 'jeng jeng' feel, try seymour duncans.

i recommend JB and 59`. Both Seymour Duncans.

ur wanna immitate Van Halen solo tone and Creed kinda rhythm tone?
interesting, well Van Halen "brown" sound is kinda diff to nail...
Creed i think is simpler... to get those its a combination of pickups and ur guitar effects setting...
JB is loud but raw (not much bass)
59 has a smooth tone
Super distortion its as loud as JB i think more midrage attack..

Well u can go for any pickups mention above, what abt the neck pickup?
humbucker from hell, air norton or paf pro would go well with superdistortion,
while if u choose a JB/Duncan Distortion would go well with the 59...
thats all i have to say...but its all depends on u..bro..
u the player...

try Dimarzio Steve's Special on d bridge and Evolution neck model on d neck... i tink shd serve ur purpose manz... of not.. get a seyour duncan 59 on d bridge and a Jazz humbucker bridge model for the neck... works well!!
hehe :lol:

try Dimarzio Steve's Special on d bridge and Evolution neck model on d neck... i tink shd serve ur purpose manz... of not.. get a seyour duncan 59 on d bridge and a Jazz humbucker bridge model for the neck... works well!!
hehe

I personally feel that the Steve's special sounds pretty good in the bridge position of the les paul, it takes a way a bit of midrange away from the already midrange heavy les paul. Quite powerful, harmonics respond well. You might wanna give it a go. Trial and error on the most part i suppose.

wow. thansk folks for all the suggestions! seems like the preferred combi right now is either a 59, JB, or steve's special. and yes, i suppose its inevitable that its trial and error, and suppose alot of other things will contribute to the tone. hmm, anybody can give me a rough estimate how much these items will cost?
yeah, i love VH tone, who doesn't right? i think its amazing. am basically just discovering EVH believe it or not! haha. never quite got down to listening to him until recently i bought his best of both worlds double disc and fell in love with his songs. cool stuff.
and as an aside, anybody got any other bands to recommend along the same lines as him? :D
cheers

wah piangz. gotta go so many places. okie thanks man!
actually no need lah if i getting only the dimarzios...keke.

haha. dats de whole point. id gif myself an excuse to go out de whole day cos i gotta go to every guitar shop til i find sumthing i wan. who says guys dun shop? haha. enjoy.

haha true true. i work at city hall area so every lunch time very convenient to go look look see see at all the major stores located in my area. Guitar 77, Guitar workshop, swee lee, davis, maestro, guitar connection etc and sometimes even go citymusic and esden all nearby. keke.
erm, steve's special and the evos are like $60USD each, are they abt the same price here? after exchange that is..

if you are interested in any Dimarzio pickups, Swee Lee has recently replenished the stock. be quick, coz some of the models are already sold out...

Latest posts

Back