Question for sound engineers - mastering keyboard/softsynth ONLY mix

Cheez

Posing question to sound engineers. How would you go about mastering a track/tracks with ONLY keyboard/softsynth/softsamplers sounds? The challange is this - softsamples are recorded by different sound engineers, each with their own "sweet" spot for different samples. Pre-amps and probably some mastering of individual samples were already done. When we use different sample libraries, how would you go about getting it "right"?

Would you prefer people sending you sampling tracks in separate multiple audio tracks for each instrument (is that necessary?) or already mixed into stereo?

2 cents

For mixing, I like to separate them - especially sampled drums and orchestration pieces. Even more so if it's experimental stuff... I get to go radical! Yay!

For mastering, I just deal with stereo or 5.1. Unless I'm requested to do creative stuff... but that brings us back to mixing.

I meant both mixing and mastering. Some engineers may want to play with the mix first before mixing down.

The problem with samples is that I usually do in 30+ midi channels (can be up to 50+) - each channel = one instrument. So having 30-50 AUDIO TRACKS is simply too taxing for the CPU. How to give 30-50 tracks to the sound engineer? And obviously I cannot give the midi tracks since they triggers my sample library which they engineers don't have. And bringing my entire PC (+/- keyboard if sounds from the keyboard are used) down to the studio doesn't make sense either.

I remember sending a final stereo mix before. And the engineer isn't too happy because there's little that can be done to it. And obviously my mixing skills isn't to his liking.

This would be tough on your side just to make it easier for the engineer.

You'll have to bounce out all your MIDI tracks start till end to audio in realtime - woah... , properly naming each track.

Bounce your submixes to stems. 1st violins, 2nd violins etc.

Finally your stereo mix.

I'll pack them into different folders so the engineer can quickly find what he needs, then import what's required into the mix.

I can't find or think of a shortcut to this. Anybody?

Cheez,

Maybe you could tell us what are the things that the mastering engineer were unhappy about in details?

And if he did complete the mastering without you sending him another mix. Are you happy with the final result?

Frozen tracks might work here. Some sequencers allow frozen tracks to be loaded on other machines that don't have the same plugins. Some sequencers let you pan, change the levels and add new effects on frozen tracks. Check if your host supports this (Ableton supports this).

Screen captures (alt-printscreen) of the arrangement window are handy also.

Seems there is confusion of who's job it is to do what here. Shouldn't you be directing the mixing engineer and mastering engineer, not the other way around.

That project was not directed by me. I was only contracted to get the music arranged. They added vocals on their own and I was not part of the process. The person in charge later told me the problem the engineer had with the instrumental audio tracks. He didn't go into detail. That was some time ago when I was using really simple hardware. But it did make me think what a sound engineer will require in this situation.

Exporting all the tracks can be tough. Rendering into 30-40 audio tracks is HUGE even if it's just in 16 bit. I've seen how mastering done by a pro can make a huge difference to the end product. So I wouldn't want to bypass that, even though I can mix and master the whole thing by myself. I'm an arranger and composer, not a sound engineer. There must be tricks that I don't know...

Ok. I think everyone should know that the process in studio is basically - Record -> Mixdown -> Master.

The practice in making an album is pretty much different in US and in Sg. The practice here in Sg is normally that the whole entire album is made in one studio and one engineer. But in US, bands normally record their songs in different studios, and not to mention that their recording engineers and mixing engineers are normally different person. And because of that, the basic Mastering mission is to make all those songs sound as if they were recorded in one studio, and thus, sound as an album and not compilation.
But other things such as deciding the sequence of the play list, creating dynamics between each song to give consumer a "roller-coaster" experience as one listen through the whole album, and making sure that it is up to the Red Book standard. Once again, mastering is mostly done in another mastering studio by an mastering engineer.
Overall, you can say that mastering is the process of getting the "master" ready for CD pressing factory to duplication. And this is why mastering are done in the last process.

There will be event where the mastering engineer will send a mix back to the mixing engineer to do certain changes to the mix of the song if the mix is either overly-done, or poorly done. Experienced mixing engineer will know what to give the mastering engineer. From this, you should be aware that mastering is mostly done after the song is being mixed down to stereo. Individual instruments mixing are done in the mixing stage rather than the mastering stage.
And there is a big mis-conception by many pple that mastering can make a poorly-mixed song into a "wow". And there is also a big mis-conception by many pple that mixing can make a poorly-recorded material into "wow". Hence, we always emphasize that the recording stage is the most crucial stage.

So if mastering is bascially to make all those songs sound as if they were recorded in one studios, and thus, sound as an album and not compilation, well, then here in Sg, due to the small market, recording, mixing, and mastering are mostly done by one studio and by one person or two, mastering is seldom needed, or you can say that mastering is already done during the process of recording and mixing. Hence, you don't really see a mastering studio here specially doing mastering only.

For your problem Cheez, arranger normally knows some basic principals in mixing. And in Sg, most composers and arrangers are sound engineers themselves. But still, the engineers are mostly the ones doing the mixing. If the sound engineer that you are referring to is the mastering engineer, then he is probably saying that something is wrong with your mix, either overly-done, or poorly done. But however, if the sound engineer that you are referring to is doing the mixing, then it would be good that you give him all the separate audio files of each individual instruments without too much EQ-ing and etc..
If your arrangement is done in MIDI sequences, then you probably got to record each track into audio files for him import into DAW to mix.

Alternatively, if you have a notebook with an audio interface that supports multi-track digital I/O, then you can simply bring your session over to his studio and record your arrangement into his DAW via the multi-track digital I/O.

P.S. if your composition is meant for local TV programs, then the composer/arranger usually mixdown the music themselves. Scoring and Mixing for albums and scoring & mixing for motion pictures are different. Try to leave "rooms" for dialog and SFX when scoring & mixing for motion picture. But if it's meant for featured film, then usually the music engineer will do the mixdown.

Last edited:
Actually , u're not exactly right, at the end of the day it boils down to budget

When i was working in australia i had to do a lot of DIY mastering myself because of a lack of budget . I have a friend who used to work in the American market and he too did a lot of his own mastering.

if youre not a mixing engineer dont attempt to mix. Might you consider calling the engineer and telling him your problem. Think he will appreciate it and may even drop by your place if he wants stem mixes. If he has a strong mix system like a protools hd3, many tracks no problem..let him consolidate.

Back