Proof of Evolution

I get it predz23, I get it now. I guess we all know which extreme camp he/she stands in, don't we?

Anyway, here is my understanding of evolution. Evolution is simply the change in the gene pool over time. I have a unique set of genes, you have a another unique set, and different people will have their own unique set of genes. When 100 people come together in a room, a pool of genetic resources is formed. As long as nobody leaves the room or no extra person enters the room, the gene pool will remain undisturbed. If these 100 people inter-marry among themselves and have offsprings, albeit the individual offsprings are different from their parents, the overall gene pool of all the offspings should be similar to that of their parents. As long as the total time derivative of the gene pool remains unchanged, there is no evolution of the specie.

If we extend this idea to the 6 billion people on this planet, we will have a very large gene pool. For evolution to occur, there should be a significant change in the gene pool and its composition.

So what are the kind of changes that can affect the gene pool? There are many things that can affect the gene pool. Mutations, selection pressure, segregation, eugenics, survival of the fittest, genocide, or a combination of these items etc, or anything that can cause a change in the gene pool, can potentially cause an evolution of the specie over time. But as discussed earlier, there are also many other mechanisms that resist or buffer for these changes, such as degeneracy of the genetic code, dominancy of the alleles, silent mutation, absense of a environment stimulus to favor mutation, etc.

There are 6 billions of us, and the chances that any of us carry a silent mutation and pass it on to our children, is quite likely. Eugenics and genocides happened before, and large-scale selection pressure like plagues, also happened before. In view of this, it is very likely that the gene pool of humans have undegone significant changes from what it was before, maybe 200 years ago. In a sense, we have evolved.

Now, for speciation to occur, then the change in the gene pool must be so drastic and exclusive that there is a new gene pool emerging or a reclassification of the gene pool. Note, the change must be drastic. Such drastic changes, in tandem with suitable environmental factors, are not very common, but may require many many years for successful speciation to occur.

I think that the mechanisms proposed by evolutionists are valid explanations to how evolution can occur, and I think that it is reasonable to say that evolution has occured and we are still evolving. But what I cannot accept is that some experts have proposed the idea that all humans, animals and plants, could have evolved from a single common ancenstal. Well, this apect of evolution, is to me, too far-fetched. Because, like what taypeng81 mentioned, a drastic change, coupled with suitable external factors, are not common and will take many many years. It will take many many successive speciation and evolution at so many different levels, in order to map an ancestral pathway from a single-cell amoeba to a multicellular organism like humans. This is mathematically improbable. There may be a chance that there is such a lineage, but I feel it is highly unlikely.

Discovery of a prehistoric fossil that share similar traits or DNA as humans, is not necessarily an evident that we are derived from a common ancestor. It could be an independent specie that share similar traits to humans. You may argue that this traits interestingly occur in some sort of a pattern, hence lending weight to evidence for evolution, but I may also argue that across the globe, there are overlapping and continuous variation in traits from one organism to another. Example: Uncanny similarities from man-ape-monkey. One can interpret this as man descended from monkeys. Another can interpret this as there are overlapping and continuous variations in traits from one monkey to man.

Science, in my opinion, works like religion. However hard scientists try to hypothesize and theorize, you will find something you can't prove and make sense of. Sounds familiar?

Darwin's theory of evolution is a theory. If you haven't been listening in science classes, theories are not totally validated or proven truths of our world.

You might want to believe in Darwin, but (wake-up) you're really just like a Bible-believer.

Science, in my opinion, works like religion. However hard scientists try to hypothesize and theorize, you will find something you can't prove and make sense of. Sounds familiar?

Darwin's theory of evolution is a theory. If you haven't been listening in science classes, theories are not totally validated or proven truths of our world.

You might want to believe in Darwin, but (wake-up) you're really just like a Bible-believer.

Good point.

In fact, as long as you have seen and touched the evidence for yourself, what you are really doing anyway is believe the theory in faith. Faith in the accounts of others, yes, but still faith.

Of course, I could talk about how seeing and touching is also faith in your own senses, but let's not get too Descartes here.

Well said. Guess once you're in one camp, its hard to convince you otherwise as well

There is NO evidence for creation, their "evidence" comes from gaps in evolution. like I've said before creationists look at whats missing instead of whats there. And again like I've said before if we discover Species A, C, D and F, the creationists will argue that because Species B and E have not been discovered evolution is false. Even though we've discovered Species A, C, D and F. They will ignore the evidence that IS there and focus on the evidence that ISN'T there. Youtube will provide a lot of explanation for evolution and debunk common creationist claims. or you could visit talkorigins.org

that's such a bold statement. you totally ignored my statement. i understand what you mean, but that's just an evolutionist way of avoiding the question. by assuming that we're not gonna accept your reasoning and therefore not giving an argument at all, is not good debating etiquette. our problem is not that there are no species B and E. the problem is that A is a snail, C is a fish, D is a fish, F is a lizard. we want to see a snail that has fins or a snail that has gills, and a fish that has a lizard-like tail, or a fish that has lizard tongue. you're just giving us 4 species of animals and expect us to believe that they evolved from each other? and then blame us for expecting more from it, it's nonsense really.

and is YouTube really the most credible source? you can find a lot of creationist debunking ideas, and likewise I can also find a lot of evolutionist debunking ideas. we can go to talkorigins but we'll still come out not knowing anything new, if we enter with a close mind such as yours.

creationist look at evidence that IS there. I see a tree and how it fits into the carbon cycle, and the water cycle and i think, "hmmm, organized systems don't come out of nothing..." likewise if i see a chair in the middle of the road, i wouldn't assume it appeared out of a big explosion. someone must have made it.

Evolution is a complex interaction of genetic and environmental variables.

Theres too much talk about the genetic variables, but there seems to be too little attention on the environmental variables

The changing climate, physical geography, ecosystem, they all give rise to new selection pressures hence new traits/genotypes will eventually be selected. The original article did mention a extreme environmental event - a drought, that could serve as environmental trigger to turn on/off certain genes...

as a theory, evolution has a lot of applications in the other disciplines of science like psychology and sociology.
Evolutionary applications and theories in these sciences are based on testable hypotheses , most of which are empirically validated.

wikipedia/youtube/google (with the exception of google scholar) should not be used as 'evidence'. The accuracy and validity of scientific information is questionable, these internet sources are widely discouraged for use at the tertiary level of education.

the problem with "environmental variables" is that the point is adaptation of species. which is totally in line with the creationist model as well. but what evolution does is to say, "look at this bird, over the years it's species grew bigger beaks because some fruits that grow on this island require more beak power to extract the fruit. therefore it is logical that if birds' beaks can change in size, they can grow dog legs." they assume all this without observation, tests, or repetition of said experiments. which is against the "code of science". in order to say something is true, you have to be able to observe, test and repeat it. however this is not the case in evolution.

The rest of what idea? The creation story? Isn't reducing the origins of the universe, the planet earth and all the life on earth to two chapters of Genesis is a bit narrow?

how is it a bit narrow? you refuse to take into account the creationist idea just because it has the word God in it. evolutionists believe in the big bang because they have no other choice, despite it defying almost all possible logic and proper science. new theories have to keep being invented, and unsubstantiated just to support the BIG BANG THEORY. and people take all of this as fact..and they disregard creationists for being narrow-minded? seriously..

Has SOFT recently turned into a battleground between the religious believers and the non-religious believers?

Let me tell you something. Neither science nor religion tells you the truth.

So, stop the debate and get on with life. :/ That's so much more to do.

this is the ignorant speaking. i'm not trying to be offensive, but this IS life. there's not really much more to do? you live your life enslaved to the government, paying off your HDB flat (a space in the sky) that doesn't even belong to you. you believe whatever you read in the newspapers, that HDB is losing money. seriously? singapore housing costs almost 50x more than housing in other countries. with 50kUSD you can buy LAND in US. you can buy a mansion in Bali with 20-30k. and you pay 400k for something that you have to return in 99 years? and what do you get out of it? CPF benefits? baby bonuses? you're asleep, it's time to wake up..and look into the things in life that actually matter.

1.) Because science is about finding out the truth from evidence that is there, you don't solve a crime by saying that suspect A's fingerprints are missing from the door knob therefore there's a "gap" in the evidence, even though his fingerprints are on the knife

2.) Tons of transitional species have already been discovered, they don't rely on the undiscovered species because there are already tons of discovered species that have been observed to evolve from fossil evidence. If we havent discovered species B and E yet, it doesn't matter when we find it because species F-Z has already been discovered, so you wanna ignore those species only because two havent been discovered yet?

3.) "Creationists believe what they believe in based on faith." thats the problem, faith by definition is to believe without evidence. If you want to have faith in creation thats fine, but don't try to pass it off as science. And there is plenty of evidence for evolution, no scientist has 'assumed' the existence of species B or E and uses it for evidence. the evidence for evolution range from a.) genetics b.) geography c.) fossil evidence

even if evolution is proven to be false tomorrow, It doesn't make creationism true because they still don't have evidence for it. Creationist tend to poke holes in evolution instead of trying to find evidence for creationism, that is simply unscientific

1. is it? really? what about all the missing links? what about the fact that they take certain ideas like mutation and adaptation and blow it out of proportion? what about them not being able to explain what they mean exactly by survival of the fittest? evolution is not science, it's a godless religion. it takes as much faith to believe in it, but you have faith in something that cannot and will not return the sentiment.

2. i see a fish and a bird, i see 2 created creatures. i don't see that the fish evolved into the bird. so if you tell me that is true, naturally i would ask where are the links. moreover this happened over a period of time. unless you tell me evolution happens in sudden bursts (which actually makes more sense), you're still not addressing our concern.

3. don't try to use phrases like your definition of faith to be fact, because it's not. there are plenty of evidence for the possibility of evolution and the same evidences do not discount creationism at all. they do not make creationism false, neither do they make evolution true. i believe God created several species that adapt to suit the changing environment and climate. is that so hard for a God who knows everything past, present and future?

Last edited:
just another of my 0.2 cts - natural selection and genetic variations within a species is not disputed here. Within a species there are variations within certain traits and this is actually required for the species to adapt and survive in different/changing environments and colonize niche habitats.

What is disputed is that random mutation can lead to enough change in a genome over a period of time to enable a species to take on a different trait or characteristic such that is can be distinguished as a distinct separate species. In my view, on the simple math of probability its not possible.

Evolution is of course not a complete theory because its needs more explaining and support. THats where biogenesis and big bang theory etc comes in. and with regards to that, no one has seen the "biological soup" (where amino acids, DNA supposedly originate from). Neither has there been any documented report of anything alive originating from a lightning strike, if you know where im coming from.

i suppose creation was somehow included in this thread because if evolution cannot explain the origin of life then the next best explanation would be a Creator at work?
in that case, any evidence of a Creator would be the evidence we need for creation.

Evolutionists will believe in anything anyone calls science, as long as it has nothing to do with God. the moment they hear the word science, they readily accept the first thing they hear. creation was included because it was the original idea before evolution came about to challenge it, because people didn't want to believe in a God they couldn't see. After all, what their 5 senses can't sense in this physical world isn't real, right?

the evidence of a Creator would be it's creation. if i said i'm a watchmaker, would you demand to see me as a person, or to see the watches i've made. people come up with various excuses just so they don't have to confront the fact that after they die, they're gonna be judged by a very Real higher being. after all who wants to be accountable to somebody they don't know. and yet they refuse to know him, he who gave them life.

Its funny that you laugh at scientists for making hypothesis. Everything you use in your life was made by science. Go laugh at your toothpaste, go laugh at the furtiliser, go laugh at my glasses for making me able to see, go laugh at them saving millions of lives with medicine. The animals on the galapagos have a lot of resemblance to the animals in the mainland and share a lot of genetic commonality with them too. As I saw on TV as well Krakatoa the volcano in Indonesia was repopulated with animals after some time. But how? Driftwood is the only way and the TV show I watched even caught some animals stuck to driftwood while they were on the boat

Evolution is not based on unproven theories. Its as simple as that, its nonsense to even say that because evolution is a scientific theory based on evidence and not unproven faith.

and the primordial soup requires faith? no not really http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/08/090829091049.htm

our point is evolution is not science. it's as much a theory or religion as creationism is. and as do all debates throughout the ages, neither side actually wins. but so far, evolution is losing. as for your transitional species,
predz23 said:
"tiktaalik" is the fish with legs. Homo Habilis, Homo Erectus, Australopithecus afarensis, archeopteryx to name a few.

do read more into it. it's very common for human skulls or monkey skulls (yes, they are similar: creationists admit that) to vary. look at every single human skull and you'll notice that they differ in terms of shape, size, teeth, eye socket sizes. all your transitional species are based on how many skulls they found? unless you're saying you found an entire buried tribe of homo habilis whose skulls have a common factor that differ from us, then it'll be more valid.

I get it predz23, I get it now. I guess we all know which extreme camp he/she stands in, don't we?

just a quick note. in the past century, the world population rose from about 100, 000 to 6 billion. do you see where i'm coming from? if in the past evolution was so common (seemed to happen almost everyday), when you increase the "gene pool" wouldn't evolution be more frequent?

mutation doesn't promote evolution. survival of the fittest doesn't explain evolution at all. and what do you mean absence of environmental stimulus to favor mutation? look at the rate we're changing the planet; destroying it. should we have at least grown something to account for it?

regarding your post of interpreting whether man descended from monkeys, wouldn't it be more logical to say that God created monkey AND man? rather than believing in theories that make to sense. if monkeys evolved into men, and evolution was based on the survival of the fittest, then why are the unfit still surviving? if there are continuous variation of traits then wouldn't it still be happening now? why did it stop? i mean time is continuous, it doesn't happen in periodic segments, so shouldn't evolution still be going on now?

eh screw this, nobody is gonna convince anybody. I'm just gonna go reply to threads about guitars again. But before I do that remember this: Evolution is not as much as a theory or religion as creationism. Because in science the word "theory" is not used the same way as you would use in everyday life. its used like 'music theory' or mathematical 'theory'. In science its pretty much a fact. and evolution requires NO FAITH, just look at the evidence and understand it. And no evolution is not losing, you THINK its losing. Just read the Greatest Show on Earth, its from a biologist so I think he understands it better than any one of us do.
As for the transitional species, yes there is variation in skulls, some people have eggheads and stuff but there is enough difference through how old the skulls and bones are to classify them as different species. and they also found more than one specimen of the same species. You know what just go watch a documentary about evidence for evolution on youtube, I know these guys are just regular folks making science videos but they've got awesome stuff to check out

And seriously Evolution theory is NOT losing to creationism at the moment, I've got no idea how anybody would think that.

Last edited:
Hi evident,

I think you have misunderstood my post. My post actually casts doubt on the belief of some evolutionists that we are all descended from the same common ancestor. Looks like you are unclear of the mechanisms to which evolution may occur. Here is a quick and classic example of evolution.

Mutation => selection pressure (e.g plague) => mutated beings selected for (survival of the fittest. So happen that the mutated ones are fitter, so they better survive the plague) => after the plague, more mutated beings than original ones => overall change in the gene pool => hence evolution has occured.

Mutation does not promote evolution. This is true because there are more mutations that are known to be harmful, than those known to be beneficial. I would say that mutation is just an opportunity for a new gene or change to the gene pool, hence an opportunity for evolution.

If there is an event or environmental change (selection pressure) that allows the mutated being to have an advantage over the normal beings, the mutated beings will better survive and reproduce and pass their genes to their offsprings, than the normal beings. Hence this is what we meant by "survival of the fittest". I did not say that there will not be any weaker ones left, but there will be much lesser weaker ones left. The gene pool now has less "weaker genes" and more "stronger genes", hence evolution has occured.

Of course, a mutated group of individuals can still prosper and multiply in the absence of a selection pressure, but usually a stimulus, such as the environment, can catalyse the rise of this mutated group of individuals. When I say environmental stimulus, I do not mean environmental problems, I mean selection pressure.

Yes, with 6 billion people on this planet, any little change to the gene pool has the potential for evolution to occur, meaning evolution can be more frequent. To a certain extent, mankind has evolved over time. Humans today are as human as those who lived 2000 years ago, but the composition of the human population has changed over these 2000 years, hence, evolution has taken place. Mankind has evolved, but we are still mankind, and not monkeys or apes or prawns (tribute to district 9) or etc.

Regarding the man-ape-monkey example, yes, different people will interpret this differently. Some have interpreted this as man-ape-monkey are related to a common ancestor. Some have interpreted them as unique organisms sharing very similar traits, that show continuous variation of traits from man to monkey, in layman's term, they are not related by a common ancestor, but different animals with similar traits. I think you have misread the phrase "continuous variation", it doesnt mean perpetually transforming, but I meant: man (short hair), ape (long hair), monkey (even longer hair), get the picture?

Yup, time is continuous, evolution is still occuring, it hasnt stopped. Like I said, I have no issue with evolution explaining how a race is being changed over time, but I do not concur with evolutionists that we are all from the same common ancestor because of evolution. Notice that I believe that evolution is only reasonable to a limited extent.

I have delibratedly avoided mentioning God, divine being, pan gu, nu wa, or jade emperor, because I do not want to mix religion with science. Some of you rightly mentioned that one could reconcile religion and science without any contradiction, but I feel that mixing religion and science in a public forum discussion is not very wise (may offend people), hence my omission of "God created the world" or similar statements.

But yup, I do believe that God created both man and monkeys as separate beings since the beginning of time. But I do not discount the possibility that evolution has brought about some changes to humanity since the creation.

Last edited:
Hi ymmak, I happen to have a similar stance on evolution that you have - species can an will mutate but for one species to evolve into everything that we have today requires a faith in the theory that I simply do not have till now. I'm no scientist but living in a society where people challenge evolutionism with creationism, one's gotta find out for himself what to believe and I've read books on theories, videos advocating creationism... to be honest, both sides drive a hard bargain and it does take "faith" of some sort to believe either side.

I'll see if I have time to post up what I've learnt over the past few years and let you guys read - purely for information's sake, not to convince anyone about anything :) have a fruitful discussioN! BTW, the posts have been very enlightening/interesting/captivating :D Five stars! hehehe

eh screw this, nobody is gonna convince anybody. I'm just gonna go reply to threads about guitars again. But before I do that remember this: Evolution is not as much as a theory or religion as creationism. Because in science the word "theory" is not used the same way as you would use in everyday life. its used like 'music theory' or mathematical 'theory'. In science its pretty much a fact. and evolution requires NO FAITH, just look at the evidence and understand it. And no evolution is not losing, you THINK its losing. Just read the Greatest Show on Earth, its from a biologist so I think he understands it better than any one of us do.
As for the transitional species, yes there is variation in skulls, some people have eggheads and stuff but there is enough difference through how old the skulls and bones are to classify them as different species. and they also found more than one specimen of the same species. You know what just go watch a documentary about evidence for evolution on youtube, I know these guys are just regular folks making science videos but they've got awesome stuff to check out

And seriously Evolution theory is NOT losing to creationism at the moment, I've got no idea how anybody would think that.

not dissing you, but it looks like you're taking the evolutionist way out of the argument. so far no one has really addressed my genuine concerns...even on other forums. everyone just keeps either avoiding it or going ad hominem on me. it's fine if you want out though, i'm not in this discussion to convince anyone. i'm not stating creationist viewpoints and trying to convince people, i'm here to help you examine your belief. Socrates once said that "An unexamined life is not worth living." this has been an interesting discussion. it's a music forum after all. :D.

Let me jump in on the bandwagon.

First Off, I'm For Evolution, I believe there is more then enough evidence to go around in the scientific community; but the controversy surrounding the subject matter in question has caused much of the facts to be skewed, mutilated and in the end very much different from the facts. This misconception are bred on both sides of the argument, by the people who don't believe in it, and couldn't care less then to understand it and by people who do believe in it but have a incomplete understanding of the theory and thus a misrepresented argument. I not going to try and explain what evolution is but I came across this small article a while back that i think summarizes on what evolution is NOT very well. Here goes:

ARTICLE:

Evolution
#1 Evolution is not a theory that explains the origin of the universe,
that field of study is referred to as Cosmology and it is a field of
study not covered by Charles Darwin’s, The Origin Of Species.

#2 Evolution is not a theory that describes the first origination of
life on this planet, that field of study is called Abiogenisis. While
Darwin might have remarked his feelings about the theory in a letter to
a colleague, it is not part of the scope of evolution, which by
definition describes the change in species over time and natural
selection.

#3 Evolution is not inherently atheistic, the theory describes nothing
regarding the existence of god, it is a scientific theory confining
itself to prediction and observation of the natural world.

#4 The theory of evolution does not say, “humans came from monkeys”.
The theory shows clear evidence supporting the hypothesis that at some
point around 6 million years ago, humans, the great apes and primates
diverged from a common ancestor.

#5 The theory of evolution does not say dogs come from frogs, a rock
will turn into a duck or as some former TV personalities like to claim,
will produce a half crocodile, half duck (crocoduck).

#6 Evolutionary theory is the best supported scientific hypothesis we
have for describing the diversity of life on Earth. It is not a
religion, a belief system, a faith or any other ambiguous religious
term sometimes attached to it.

Back