phrasing

ShAd3

Hey, anyone can shed some light on the above subject? Issit the way u play the notes to express the mood of the song when improvising ? abit blur, sorry. :oops:

yupz; it's the idea of expressing a phrase/a fragment of melody; n in my opinion, also involves other aspects, such as how to play the phrase rhythmically, ahead of time, or behind, which notes to emphasize (play loud, or repeat etc), dynamics etc etc.

like in jazz, notice how each musician plays the melody so differently, each expressing their own interpretation of the melody; they also each have their own style of phrasing when they solo; some tend to play behind, while others play slightly ahead (pushing)

in the general sense, phrasing would more of refer to the shape u create for a phrase I guess; think of a string instrument, say violin; when it plays a phrase, one can hear the shape distinctively, in terms of loud/soft, choice of tone, whether it's legato, staccato etc

hope this helps

Regards,
KJ

guitarists with SHIOK phrasings in my opinion.. would be..

Neil Zaza
Blues Saraceno
Andy Timmons
Paul Gilbert
Lee Ritenour
Tuck Andress

Oh, I kinda get the idea of what u all mean. Thanks for the input... However.. How do i go by practising phrasing ? Actually i've not touched jazz music before.. Is there anything i shud start with listening ? Any recommendations ? TIA :D

There's millions of things you can do to practice phrasing. I agree alot with _KJ as to what it actually is, but to add to that, I try to think of it (not saying I'm necessarily good at it) as similar to talking as well.

When we talk, we don't say one constant stream of words with no breaks or breaths. We break down what we say into sentences and phrases with pauses in between. When I try to home in on improving phrasing, 1 thing I do is that I become conscious of counting a certain number of notes - say, 3, then 6, then 3, then 4, then 12, etc... and playing short bursts of notes and being aware of ending my 'phrases' on a strong note (i.e. a chord tone) and add some vibrato.

That's something you can try for starters.

OIc. So phrasing is somewhat like talking thru the guitar huh ? Juz like a singer sings the notes out ? I kinda get what u mean vernplum. And thanks for the tip abt the number of notes thingy. Didnt thought of playing like that before. :oops:

vernplum said:
There's millions of things you can do to practice phrasing. I agree alot with _KJ as to what it actually is, but to add to that, I try to think of it (not saying I'm necessarily good at it) as similar to talking as well.

When we talk, we don't say one constant stream of words with no breaks or breaths. We break down what we say into sentences and phrases with pauses in between. When I try to home in on improving phrasing, 1 thing I do is that I become conscious of counting a certain number of notes - say, 3, then 6, then 3, then 4, then 12, etc... and playing short bursts of notes and being aware of ending my 'phrases' on a strong note (i.e. a chord tone) and add some vibrato.

That's something you can try for starters.

And you say you know only one chord. -.-

its just the movement man..and i dunno if you guys agree with me on this.. but i feel.. that every guitarist .. have their own phrasings.

Back