Orchestral Recording & Mixing for Surround

gutturalpiss

I figured I'd venture into the orchestral arena as it poses more of a challenge, personally. However, I'm going in totally empty-handed. All the production knowledge and techniques I've gained both formally and informally have been based on recording direct sources, i.e your typical records. Never once have I considered or even thought of recording orchestras/ensembles. I can still apply some of it, but it's a different game entirely IMHO.

If you have experience in this field, especially recording ensembles of traditional instruments (eg. SCO), please do share the following:

A1) Miking techniques you have used
A2) Mics you have used (especially in a budget scenario)
A3) Mixing specifics (where it's not apparent/used for other kinds of records)

I don't do "real" mastering aside from working in-the-box with multi-bands and levellors, so there's no need to talk about that.

Since we're on this topic, let's see where in the sound field you'd like to be with 5.1:

B1) Front of stage:

L-C-R as usual provides the frontal image, captured with a Decca, ORTF, or XY. LS-RS is captured with a crossed pair further back down the hall, and the surround is basically a reinforcement with some solo parts dumped in (spot-miked). Various other techniques exist but generally, the LS-RS mics tend to be at the back of the hall.

B2) Middle of orchestra:

I don't know if this is even sane. But I personally am deploying a similar project. LS-RS is now at the back of the orchestra, instead of the hall. ORTF facing the wall from middle of the stage. Essentially, LS-RS would provide the bulk of the winds, strings, and percussion, while the front would cater to the rest and a little of the overall stereo. With some multi-band tricks, the sections can be mixed separately. I haven't tested this, so shoot if you find this to be dangerous.

According to a survey, percussion coming from the back is irritating. Well, I'd like to move some to L-R and keep some at LS-RS. Would YOU mind timpanis from the back of your head? =P

And yes, if you have interesting links to articles/samples of such records, please share. I'm particularly interested in videos, not tutorials but documentaries. YouTube has failed me.

Last edited:
all sounds good but you still need an interface to capture sound. In your case you may want to look at presonus studio live - it takes 16 ch of mic and is a full digital mixer with compressor, limiter, eq on every channel. The unit can be cascaded to do 32 ch over firewire. I use one unit for both live and recording super value for money.

Uhmm yeah that isn't a problem - had that in the equation already as a constant. But thanks for the note on the PreSonus Studio Live :)

Back