new cymbals.

vinyl

recently bought new cymbals. bought de paiste 101 cymbals. regretted buying cause i found that de crash isnt quite good. any comments?? :D

vinyl said:
recently bought new cymbals. bought de paiste 101 cymbals. regretted buying cause i found that de crash isnt quite good. any comments?? :D

Return it, get a refund or get another cymbal. :p

If you bought the 101s in replacement of your stock factory cymbals that came with your kit, then bad choice, because the 101s are equally bad or even worse. Stick to B8s, B8pros or XS20 for your beginner cymbals needs.

Anyway, return it for a full refund or store credit if you can, otherwise, just live with it, and upgrade to professional cymbals when you can.

If you're going to perform with them, then yeah, it's a bad choice.

But if it's just for practice, then it doesn't matter.

Seriously, since when did drummers become so equipment conscious? To me, different drum woods and differences in cymbal sounds (talking bout high end cymbals here) are more like wine tasting. I.e. it's just a lot of BS + marketing schemes.

It doesn't matter what kind of wood your drum has or what kind of cymbal you got. What matters is what you can do with your limbs. I once saw a drummer rip it out on a swingstar with zbt cymbals. At that point, who cares about the sound (it still sounded sweet by the way, the tuning was real good)? Just by looking at this hands fly around the kit, and hearing the crazy polyrhythmic grooves was just too much for me.

Unless you're really big and got endorsed, then we'll talk about equipment. If you can't even get your playing right, you're not really in a position to talk about the sound quality of your equipment... yet... as I am...

Funkifized said:
If you're going to perform with them, then yeah, it's a bad choice.

But if it's just for practice, then it doesn't matter.

Seriously, since when did drummers become so equipment conscious? To me, different drum woods and differences in cymbal sounds (talking bout high end cymbals here) are more like wine tasting. I.e. it's just a lot of BS + marketing schemes.

It doesn't matter what kind of wood your drum has or what kind of cymbal you got. What matters is what you can do with your limbs. I once saw a drummer rip it out on a swingstar with zbt cymbals. At that point, who cares about the sound (it still sounded sweet by the way, the tuning was real good)? Just by looking at this hands fly around the kit, and hearing the crazy polyrhythmic grooves was just too much for me.

Unless you're really big and got endorsed, then we'll talk about equipment. If you can't even get your playing right, you're not really in a position to talk about the sound quality of your equipment... yet... as I am...

I think IMO, personally,

U are contradicting ur own words. :wink:

Face it man.. U want to perform in a gig, U will choose cymbals that can give U the projections and the cutting.. Ain't dat equipment concious?

In recording studio, ur crappy Ride sounds so bad, U wished u had laxative for breakfast.. Ain't that equipment concious?

As a drummer, be it beginner, intermmediate or advance, one must know the difference between the good, the bad and the ugly. If not, its better for U to live in Siberia. :wink:

Drums hardware; (Cymbals, stands, hardware) are all interconnected. U choose to play the bad quality, u get heartache..

Well yes you have a point, but I feel that drummers should concentrate more on getting their stuff right... coz in places like the pearl drummers' forum... all they ever talk about is gear! So shallow, isn't it? What happened to the drumming...?

huh? i think u are wrong!! u've been frequently too much on the "Show Your Kits" sub forum!!! :p :p do check out the General Discussions and u'll learn more than just what're good stuffs! recently a guy post a heel toe double pedal video and some tips to play better with our feet! also, the drummers there do talk bout how to play grooves and they share their solos for comments so that they themselves can improve and we who've heard it can be inspired!

Funkifized said:
Well yes you have a point, but I feel that drummers should concentrate more on getting their stuff right... coz in places like the pearl drummers' forum... all they ever talk about is gear! So shallow, isn't it? What happened to the drumming...?

How to drum properly, when all the equipments dat U a r using are f*** up? I mean seriously. When U go to a jammin session, first thing a drummer look out for is the drum condition. The stands, cymbals, pedals, etc. If its up to our standard, of course we'll feel happy. If its crap, want to hit the crash its like hitting a pot!!

Now, isn't that somehow equipment concious?

I'm sorry if I've offended U or anything, but ur words are still contradicting.

i once read this very inspiring line on "THE COMPLETE IDIOT'S GUIDE TO DRUMMING"

"When you buy a top quality, beautiful-looking, sweet-sounding, $20,000 drumset, you would definitely want to sit down and play on it so much more than if you had a horrid untunable $80 kit."

Eh i'm only just quoting, but he does have a point.

POV

I wanna practise at home with a rhythm traveller....muffled... so its more for my stroking and timing so the cheaper the better.

But I do agree that a pro drummer can make any kit sound good, thats why they are endorsed. They make their cymbals, drums etc sound good.

But I the price that I pay is more for the durability and good hardware. Cymbals are aqquired as I go along. Some cymbals are just not to my taste, like for example a Zildjian 18' medium thin. My god its so loud, but it makes good practice for control and also for ballads.

But hee Vio with 20K, I buy a 6 pc with a whole collection of skins and cymbals. But again, I need to practise to make the kit sound good. I had a studio associate whose drummer brought in his 15K DW maple custom for recording, he was told to bring it back. Not that the drumset wasnt good (it was a beauty), but it just didnt sound good in that particular studio. His heart was broken boy hahah

Here is my defination of a playable drumset
Shells are not warped or chipped. Lugs are all in place. The shell are all glued together properly , responsive to tuning. A 12" tom is a 12" tom not 12.3" . Tom racks wont shift as you play them. I know some of you will add to this... hahahah

Darren

There's a difference between practicing and playing.

"No playing when practicing and no practicing when playing".

During practicing, U are to rectify and identify ur weak points and to work on it. Shell urself in a bubble and concentrate on that ur weak points. (rudiments, stroking,etc)

When playing, there i no time to think abt practicing. Its just going out there and WHACK the hell out of those drums.. :wink:

There's a difference between practicing and playing.

"No playing when practicing and no practicing when playing".

During practicing, U are to rectify and identify ur weak points and to work on it. Shell urself in a bubble and concentrate on that ur weak points. (rudiments, stroking,etc)

When playing, there i no time to think abt practicing. Its just going out there and WHACK the hell out of those drums.. :wink:

Oh building on Darren's post... :p

I've ben reading so much about the Pearl Reference Series int he magazines. I'd so love to check them out. haha

oops... this is so offtopic. :roll:

Pearl

Hey Vio
You never check them out at the pearl website? They have a short video clip on it. Dennis and Omar regurgitating " This the best drumset i have ever player on" line...

You think Swee Lee will bring in a sample? I think one snare can buy two of their export series. hahahha

Omar Hakim did a clinic on the Reference Drum in Malaysia in June. Funny he never drop by here.

I asked the price from Bentley Music and they quoted me RM$14000 for a standard 5 piece set. They sold 2 sets already! 8O

Must.... save.... $$$$$.... :lol:

Actually Funkifized does have a point too. I can kinda understand how he feels because I have encountered drummers who'd talk and talk about gear all day. But when it comes to actually playing the drums.... let's just say knowing all about drum gear doesn't mean he is good drummer haha.

Wah lau $RM 14,000 for a Pearl Reference drumkit? Eh guys, wanna share money buy Toto quick pick together or not? hahahahaa!

interesting argument out being too equipment concious. its true some of us (me included) have spent money on equipment we dun need but want. honestly if u got the cash and it makes u feel happy buy it man. we're here to enjoy urselves at the the end of the day. if u come on with the attitude hey i'm better than u, let u see my double stroke. i feel thats being shallow. u wanna spend time researching and talking and discussing equipment, i say why the hell not. alot of awesome drummers i know, know their equipment and wat suits their playing. if some of the more inexperienced players want to know discussing is a good way to get some info. so pls Funkifized lighten up to alot of guys its a hobby not a career.

Ok ok... i guess i was kinda pissed off these few days coz EVERYTHING my drummer friends ever talk about it gear....

Sorry if I offended anyone. :(

Still, I feel that equipment is secondary to what is more important... making music on and with the drums.

God, this sounds like a penis size debate! :D

No need for debate lah.. I also feel dat sometimes I over-sensitive too.
Especially with the sound engineer that has fear of China cymbals...

I hope that with the opening of the New Drum Resources, all drummers regardless of age and level can drop down and share their playing experiences and tips.. :wink: :lol:

shred5 said:
I hope that with the opening of the New Drum Resources, all drummers regardless of age and level can drop down and share their playing experiences and tips.. :wink: :lol:

Yay. :D

Latest posts

Back