Need help to clear my doubts on POT and CAP.

zyang

Hi everyone !

I have a few doubts on potentiometer and capacitor.

I know that there are many different kind of pots on the market. (linear,audio,reverse audio etc.)

Is it true that 500k pot will give a warmer tone compared to a 250k pot ? And am i right to assume that all pots are variable resistor ?

If i roll my tone pot to 0 , all 500k of resistance will be in used and the end result will give me a very warm/dark tone since the current is being blocked by the resistance ?
Another thing is that, can someone help me relate the current and the frequencies? Cause if i were to say that the current is being blocked by the resistor, the outcome of the tone will be dark/warm. But why is it that when the current is being blocked, the frequencies will change ?

And am i right to assume that when the tone pot is at 0 , the resistance is at it's max and when the tone pot is at 10,the resistance is at it's minimum?

I saw quite a number of people saying that 500k pot gives a warmer tone while 250k pot gives a more brighter sound. But what i've read says otherwise. So what's your conclusion ?

Linear and Audio Taper : Which is more suitable for Tone and volume ? Personally i prefer Linear Taper cause the resistance is more balanced out and it is easier for me to control the knob. But why is it that people prefer Audio Taper on certain knob ? Please help me clear my doubt !!

Capacitor :
What i've read online is that capacitor can store charges. But what is it for ?
Is it true that the higher the capacitance produce a darker sound ?
And i know that the capacitor must go along with the pot, but will changing the capacitor significantly increase the tone pot usability ? Like if i roll a little bit of my tone pot , the changes is hear-able ?

Thanks a lot to anyone who can answer my questions.

So cheers !! :)

500K = Brighter tone
250K = Warmer tone
This is the reason why humbuckers are usually used with 500K. If 250Ks are used, it might be too dull or dark sounding. Same goes for Single coils. They are usually used with 250Ks because 500Ks might be too bright.
BUT it is all personal preference.

Linear audio
This is your preference as well. Different guitar brands use different types of pots for volume and tone. It depends what kind of roll off you want.

Capacitors
Yes, they store the charges. Im not too sure about what the purpose is for but you are right, a higher capacitor value will yield a darker tone. For the rolling off part, it depends on the capacitor AND tone pot you are using. This will affect the changes you hear as you roll off the knob.

Thats all i know. Take my information with a pinch of salt, im not an expert haha :)

Cheers!

500K = Brighter tone
250K = Warmer tone
This is the reason why humbuckers are usually used with 500K. If 250Ks are used, it might be too dull or dark sounding. Same goes for Single coils. They are usually used with 250Ks because 500Ks might be too bright.
BUT it is all personal preference.

Linear audio
This is your preference as well. Different guitar brands use different types of pots for volume and tone. It depends what kind of roll off you want.

Capacitors
Yes, they store the charges. Im not too sure about what the purpose is for but you are right, a higher capacitor value will yield a darker tone. For the rolling off part, it depends on the capacitor AND tone pot you are using. This will affect the changes you hear as you roll off the knob.

Thats all i know. Take my information with a pinch of salt, im not an expert haha :)

Cheers!

Thanks a lot for your pinch of salt.
It's very useful and clear lots of my doubts !

Cheers !! :)

Back