Need advice for my les paul pups

Rohai

hello fellow softies,

recently i purchased a second hand 50s Tribute Lp from a fellow bro here. awesome guitar as he did some upgrades to it. One of the upgrades was the Pickups, he changed it to active pups. its the Seymor Duncan Gus G blackouts . While the sound of it with my dirt pedal is fantastic, i cant say the same for the clean channel. Always has a substantial amount of gain even when im on the clean channel. Tried with diff amps same end result. Is there anything i can do to improve the clean? Tried rolling back the volume knob to 5 still has some gain on it. i used a PRS a couple of yrs back that had EMGs which were active pups as well and i dont remember having the same problem. it had a pretty decent clean sound. Should i consider switching to another active pup since im already on active or should i consider moving back to passive? or is there anything else electronically i can do to help improve the clean sound.

i already changed the 9v batt to a new one in case some of you might say its a symptom of dying batt :)
Should i even consider rewiring it to 18v? but i reckon this will only give it a bigger headroom not sure if it helps with the clean channel.

Any advice from fellow bros here is greatly appreciated.

you tried rolling off the gain from your amp on the clean channel? I had a Edwards equipped with blackouts, never had this problem. In fact, when on high gain, I roll the vol down, I get better cleans on this compared to my other passive pu :p

you tried rolling off the gain from your amp on the clean channel? I had a Edwards equipped with blackouts, never had this problem. In fact, when on high gain, I roll the vol down, I get better cleans on this compared to my other passive pu :p

Really?? Mine even when the gain of the amp is less then half i cant get a decent clean sound..will have some dirt to it..

hi bro :)

this is typical active peculiarity- its preamp is constantly pushing output to induce drive, regardless if you need it or not. you can cure this by lowering the volume of your guitar but the trade-off is your output will sound like you've 'forgotten to switch something on'. this is the reason why active units are not likable when one does cleans. the presumption here is that once a player opts for actives, s/he isn't particular about cleans.

my take- switch to high output passives if you are still into lots of drive/ distortion.

Thanks for the advice Sub. I think you'll remember my guitar when we met at beez a while back. I was considering to switch to high output pasives something like the SD distortion pups.. a question i have is, this set comes with the Blackouts preamps as well. Should i leave them in there and switch to a passive pups or should i consider removing them all together?

my take- remove it. you don't need something that still gets in the way of good cleans :)

yes, i remember your guitar; what you bought is what i own as well, remember?

Back