My beef with Coated Strings

ShredCow

Guys,
I need some opinions here... for those of you who have switched to coated strings or vice versa, did you note the following bad things abt coated strings?

1) Harmonics are muffled and harder to produce
2) Not as bright as normal strings
3) Sustain is shorter (3rd party observation)

I find myself starting to veer away from coated strings (currently using DR Red Devils) despite the longer string life and overall consistant tone thru out the strings' life. Mainly because of the harmonics thing... can't seem to pull off those 2nd - 3rd fret harmonics as easily as I used to.

Whats your take on it?

>> 1) Harmonics are muffled and harder to produce
Yep.

>> 2) Not as bright as normal strings
Yes again. However I don't really need too much brightness on my strat so that part is ok.

>> 3) Sustain is shorter (3rd party observation)
Didn't notice it.

What I dislike a lot about the DR longlife is the way the coat starts to peel on the treble strings... they peel at the frets and become exposed, leaving that part of the string prone to rust.

My E string broke after a month and subsequently I'm on Rotosounds now. Seeing how long it lasts for me.

Eh.... isn't a month long without breakage good? I mean... if you play a hell lot lah... I have to change my Red Devils by 3-4 weeks because I play everyday for a couple of hours.

hmm my other strings usually last for about 1 month and a half.

how long before u break normal strings then? :wink: $18 every 3-4 weeks is quite hefty for strings man... it would sound more logical to get 2 sets normal strings at $7+ each and still save a bit.

I'd use the coateds if i have performances or important events in that month, otherwise I'll just stick to the normal uncoateds. The feel is roughly the same, just the coateds being more slippery and consistent. Sustain is noticeably shorter and harmonics are harder, though not THAT hard to produce, and yeah they sound darker, though not THAT dark too. Just slightly.

i've no such problems with coated sets, at least with the DRs. anyway, black metal doesn't require too much harmonics/ sustain. it's attack, attack & more attack.

thor666 said:
hmm my other strings usually last for about 1 month and a half.

how long before u break normal strings then? :wink: $18 every 3-4 weeks is quite hefty for strings man... it would sound more logical to get 2 sets normal strings at $7+ each and still save a bit.

Hahaha... well, I just play too much lah... ;)

If its normal strings, I would expect it to last about 2 weeks and in that 2 weeks, I'll have rust and the usual irritating things that make playing harder. But hell, at 7.50 a pack for DR normal... Maybe I should revert... :roll:

subversion said:
i've no such problems with coated sets, at least with the DRs. anyway, black metal doesn't require too much harmonics/ sustain. it's attack, attack & more attack.

Thats true.... I'm just missing the harmonics part right now... missing it a lot!

BlackMoo said:
I'd use the coateds if i have performances or important events in that month, otherwise I'll just stick to the normal uncoateds.

Hmmm.... Maybe I'll do the opposite of that, use coated when I got no performances. Well, when I ORD, i'll be working so heh... less time to practice. :(

ShredCow said:
If its normal strings, I would expect it to last about 2 weeks and in that 2 weeks, I'll have rust and the usual irritating things that make playing harder.
I use a string cleaner before and after playing, and I haven't seen rust on my dean markleys so far (a few weeks now). Earlier my Fender bullets rusted in 2 - 3 weeks without string coating. Not sure which one I use (it's at home, got to look) but it coats the string and you can feel it's a little slippery after that, but no change in the tone or brightness.

i also have the same feel for 1) & 2).
to me the feel also change quite abit after few weeks..maybe due to dirt and sweat not wipe off properly. im also considering whether to use back norm strings yeah :roll:
im going ns soon..less time to practice :(

preventing strings from rusting is simple actually. for rusting to occur it has to be exposed to air, right? presence of water(sweat) will accelerate this process of rusting. solution. simple. juz wipe ur strings wif a towel after u play and keep them in ur gig bag or hard case. dont leave it on the guitar stand. DEFINITELY lengthens ur string life. trust me. it works.

anyways back to the topic. coated strings generally last longer than norm strings rite? if it were me id use coated strings and take care of it. when theres a performance, ill juz change it since u guys complain abt shorter sustain n harder to make harmonics n stuff.

juz my 2 cents.

Well guys, I do coat my normal strings (last time lah) with DR stringlife and yeah, the strings last for abt 2 weeks before I feel it dying. I usually endure for another week if there's no impt performance.

And yeah, i do wipe down my strings after playing.

In anycase, I think I will revert back to uncoated strings... I just can't accept the lack of harmonic response and that "muted" tone.

hey howz the DR polymer coating? Some say it leaves residue on the fretboard bt i tried it. Pretty good. Ofcourse i didnt risk anything so i put cloth underneath the strings. I still think itz a gd solution though many say itz a waste of money.

It works schred. Pretty well too. I was skeptical at first but now I'm a believer.

Doesn't seem to stain my rosewood fretboard at all...

I usually apply a bit on my Floyd's saddles to help with the stirng life there and its working wonderfully... nothing's broken so far! Amazing!

Only grip is that the applicator sponge isn't very good, sometimes a lot comes out and its a good waste; it ain't cheap.

Back