Mini Review: Dimarzio Humbucker From Hell

ShredCow

Here's a small review of the Dimarzio HFH... later will do up something good then post on the Reviews site or something. ;)

I love it. ;) Its not blistering lah, like the name implies but its supposed to be a single coil tone in a humbucking package.

Its DAMN clean and clear... very very good for arpeggios. Tight bass, it never gets muddy! On clean, its very single coil sounding, clear and sparkling. On distorted, its just got this great clarity going on. It DOES sound single coil-ish but fatter. Only thing I wish for, is for it to be slightly more powerful.

Dimarzio Humbucker From Hell Clip

Vaiyen said:
so would you say it'll get you close to the Malmsteen lead tone?

I have no idea... not a malmsteem fan here, don't listen to him much and I don't really like his tone. ;)

I rather like his lead tone. It's cleanish and organic. Just that his rhythm....arrghhh
Metal rhythm should never be played with single-coils IMO.

the Humbucker fr Hell is a very good pickup indeed, it has one of the best split tone in the Dimarzio offering, but i like it only in the neck 8)

I really love the clarity and tight bass of the HFH... the fact that it sounds like a single coil but not one, also makes it into my like book. ;)

Anyway, this is just a clip of an upcoming jam piece done with MrRhoads! May it rocks your socks when its out. 8)

Vaiyen said:
I rather like his lead tone. It's cleanish and organic. Just that his rhythm....arrghhh

Haha, couldn't agree more. But there's this twang on the lower notes that humbuckers just can't get :)

Vaiyen said:
Does SD Hot rails count? :lol:
Lol, nice clip there.

yup single coil tone indeed...imo best partner with paf pro...

Daniel in your opinion how does this pickup diff from the breed neck?
any set up change done to compliment this pu?

btw nice clip...

stillwater said:
Does it match your X2N in terms of output? or do u get a "jump" in output everything u switch?

I had to lower my X2N even more. Note, the X2N output is 510mA and the HFH is just 220mA!

So I lowered my X2N and the HFH is quite high, but the volume is balanced when on distortion. On clean, the HFH is much more cutting due to its high treble.

When I get my Tonezone, the pup heights wouldn't be so extreme. ;)

penguin said:
yup single coil tone indeed...imo best partner with paf pro...

Daniel in your opinion how does this pickup diff from the breed neck?
any set up change done to compliment this pu?

btw nice clip...

I didn't change my setup in anyway for this clip... IMO, the Breed neck is definately stronger and thicker with a huge midrange to it. However, its BEST suited for guitars with basswood/alder/ash/maple woods as the Breed neck is a pretty dark sounding pup; on my guitar, i had to lower the bass side because it would get muddy easily.

All in all, the Breed neck is much warmer sounding, I could easily do jazz with it. With the HFH, funk is more accessible and bright swing jazz, but I had to turn my 250k tone down quite a bit for some mellow jazz.

GuitarNoob said:
Care to sell me your X2N after you change to tonezone? =)

I'm sorry man... My friend booked my X2N a long time back... ;)

You sure a want an X2N? Heh... I mean... its EXTREME. And yes, it can do funk. 8)

Latest posts

Back