Loop pedal advice needed

backpacker

Hi everyone,

Nowadays my jam sessions are mostly just me on guitar/vocal and my friend on drums. Am thinking of getting a loop pedal that will allow me to do the following during jamming:

1) Play intro and rhythm parts of the song myself as per normal.
2) During the mid-song guitar solo, activate the loop pedal to play a pre-recorded 1st rhythm guitar backing track while I play lead.
3) End of the mid-song guitar solo, deactivate the loop pedal and I resume play the rhythm myself.
4) During the end-song guitar solo, activate the loop pedal to play a pre-recorded 2nd rhythm guitar backing track (different from the 1st) while I play lead.

Is the above possible to execute with ease using the Boss RC-2 or do I need a "better" loop pedal? :)

Hopefully with a looper, my sound will be fuller especially during guitar solos.

Hi everyone,

Nowadays my jam sessions are mostly just me on guitar/vocal and my friend on drums. Am thinking of getting a loop pedal that will allow me to do the following during jamming:

1) Play intro and rhythm parts of the song myself as per normal.
2) During the mid-song guitar solo, activate the loop pedal to play a pre-recorded 1st rhythm guitar backing track while I play lead.
3) End of the mid-song guitar solo, deactivate the loop pedal and I resume play the rhythm myself.
4) During the end-song guitar solo, activate the loop pedal to play a pre-recorded 2nd rhythm guitar backing track (different from the 1st) while I play lead.

Is the above possible to execute with ease using the Boss RC-2 or do I need a "better" loop pedal? :)

Hopefully with a looper, my sound will be fuller especially during guitar solos.

2. Yup, can be done.

3. You'll probably need an external footswitch, but can be done.

3. Cannot be done. The RC-2 only allows you to have one 'bank' selected at any point in time, unless you bend down to switch it manually. I think the RC-20 may be better for you in this respect.

I have the RC-2 and it works for my personal practice sessions, but you should probably get something with more real-time accessibility if you plan to use it for gigs and such.

if wanna switch bank without bending over, using a fs-6 can cycle thru the different banks,

for the rc-2, it will be more practical to use it with the fs-6 footpedal.

Tubescreamer, thanks for the info.

Interestingly, Boss' website states that an optional footswitch is also needed for loop select on the RC20. Am thinking whether pairing up a RC2 with a Boss dual footswitch FS-6 will achieve the same result. i.e. 1 RC2 built-in switch for loop start, 2 FS-6 built-in switches for loop stop and select respectively. Would you know?

PatheinRaindropMoe, didn't see your reply earlier. You have just answered my question. Thks.

Now have to check if cost of RC2+FS6 is higher or lower than RC20+FS5 (single footswitch).

thats what the fs-6 can do and is for, when using with the rc-2

anyway, for cycling of the loop, the fs-6 can only allow the rc-2 to cycle thru in a foward manner and not reverse.

eg, you looped something in bank 1 and when wanna switch over to bank 2, you will step on the fs-6 footswitch(for switching bank) 1 time, it will jump to bank 2. Step another time, it will jump to bank 3 and so on. If you are on bank 8 and you wanna go back to bank 1, you will have to step the footswitch another few more times until it goes back to bank 1 again. So, its more easier and practical to bend over and switch to bank 1 and so on

another thing is that if you have already looped a few loops in different banks, heh, its going to be confusing to use the footswitch on the fs 6 to switch bank coz theres no indication on which bank you are on.

the above 2 are just a minor disadvantage of the rc-2.

the prices aint too sure, but do give sweelee a call and check with them. They shud be open now.

Looked up a local online store,

RC2+FS6=$290+$90=$380
RC20+FS5=$425+$45=$470

Quite a (big) difference of $110.

From what I've read, the RC20 also doesn't indicate which bank I'm on after foot switching and no reverse foot switching as well - same as the RC2. Looks like the RC2 option could be a better deal.

Last edited:
Back