Laney VC50

ShredCow

Need some help here ppl! 8)

I want to get the above amp :twisted: ... any of you guys know where can I get it? And whats the price like?

Thanks!

I used to own one of these and I must say, in the end, I wasn't super impressed with it. Depends what kind of music you want to play I guess - I was playing in a Hard Rock/Metal Led Zeppelin-style band and the crunch on the amp wasn't really giving me what I needed. My co-guitarist's Marshall Jubilee used to blow it away all the time.

For overdriven leads it was okay, but you had to turn it up really, really loud to get anything decent out of it.

Apart from those gripes, it was reasonably versatile, but I wouldn't want to own a Laney again (it was expensive too - Ib ought mine for 650 pounds sterling about 5 or 6 years ago - that's SGD $1950 - I believe they are still listed at roughly that price). Also, the thing was back-breakingly heavy - over 45Kg. try lugging that to your practice room every week...

Oh ho ho ho!!!!
Now that sucks! :(

I want the tone of Freak Kitchen's Mattias Ia Elkund... he says he uses that amp... so I thought of trying it out...

btw man, i thought the marshall silver jubilee amps are more for blues?

Mattias Eklund uses a Laney VH100 head (I know because he has a video on cover of this month's Guitarist Magazine - incidentally the best guitar mag on the planet).

The Marshall amp I refer to was a 30th Anniversary combo (actually, I'm not sur eif it was called something Jubilee - it wasn't mine)... anyway, it was waaaaayyy metal - trust me... :)

Yap, he uses that head... but its really big and for home use, I'd kill my neighbours! :lol:

In his webby, www.freakguitar.com, he puts there that he's trying out the VC50... I thought that would be a smaller alternative....

Any tips on how to get his tone?

And I have to get this months guitar mag!!

Even with the VC50 you'd kill you neighbours since a 50 watt amp is only a bit less loud than a 100W.

If you want the same tone as him you could always get the same gear as him, and use some kind of power soak, like THD Hot Plates, Weber Mass Attenuator or Marshall Power Brake. I've never used one myself - I intend to try one in future, but I heard these give good results.

Even with the VC50 you'd kill you neighbours since a 50 watt amp is only a bit less loud than a 100W.

If you want the same tone as him you could always get the same gear as him, and use some kind of power soak, like THD Hot Plates, Weber Mass Attenuator or Marshall Power Brake. I've never used one myself - I intend to try one in future, but I heard these give good results.

An Attenuator would be good if you intend to use the VC 50 in the bedroom. I personally use the hotplate for my 40 watt amp as it was

1) Too loud for bedroom level playing

2) I want to achieve tube saturation(overdrive) from my amp.

You'll be able to attain tube overdrive easily at bedroom level volumes i.e the hotplate acts like a master volume of your amp.

With the hotplate set to high level of attennuation, the headroom will be reduced noticebly but if your room is not very big, it'll still bring you the smile. :D

You can get the hotplate locally at JMguitars.

That sounds very cool guys....

I'm trying to get Mattias' own signature guitar... 27 frets whoo hoooo!!! I hope I can save up enough soon! :)

Thanks for the advise... I'd look up these attenuators... how much do they cost?

BTW, any amps out there capture the same tone as Mattais?

Back