know the fretbaord.

He just means to nkow every note on every fret across every string.It may sound tedious, but it will be very helpful as you develop in your playing. Why A to G? Becos there's no H :lol: But know also the sharps and flats. Just so no one can go 'play a b#' and you go 'what the....???'

Say the first string... play it open it is E.
1st fret(one semitone up) = F
2nd = F#
3rd = G
4th = G#
5th = A
6th = A#
7th = B
8th = C
9th = C#
10th = D
11th = D#
12th = back to E again...

notice, B and E have no sharps.. take a look at the piano.. notice sometimes they have 2 black keys and 3 black keys? that explains the lack of the sharp.

Oh. if you can, find on a mag or the web or somewhere to learn some basic music theory, like All the notes in athe musical scale, plus the sharps and flats. There're are only 12 notes altogether. Usually such articles will tell you about intervals and things like that. Cos it's all laid out the same way on the fretboard e.g, 5th fret E string is an A, the 6th fret is A#/Bb, then B, and one fret above B is C, no B# (cos there's no such thing). It's best if you can get a teacher to guide you. All these theories are very relevant to whatever instrument (melodic ones) you play. Those 'weird chords' that you come across aren't done at random. These theories apply.

But before I confuse you further, just need to learn the notes and their intervallic relations for a start.

Hmm

(1) Search Yahoo for guitar scales & they do haf some applets/images where they tell u all the notes across the fretboard.

(2) Learn manually.

I'm an ear player and yes, before performances, I do practice blindfolded. Not a joke, its my style. Thats why I know each note not just by the fret, but by ear as well. and yah, even the solos. LOL . very hard. but you wanna learn don't ya? Worth a try.

I guess it's a matter of getting used to. But still, i'd still lose my orientation after removing the blindfold.

Draw, print a list of fretboard notes, and memorize them everyday. Helps if you play chords along while doing that.

draye said:
blindfolded? how do you know what string you're picking? 8O

lol. centrepoint got a blind man. busking. using RG + smoke on the water backing track with some Jukebox like thingy. then he solo, shred. lol

Newbie said:
draye said:
blindfolded? how do you know what string you're picking? 8O

lol. centrepoint got a blind man. busking. using RG + smoke on the water backing track with some Jukebox like thingy. then he solo, shred. lol

seen him b4, gave him money, respect man \m/

once ur one wit ur guitar n the music u play, u dont need to look at the fretboard to play. take angus young frm ac/dc for example, he runs around the stage, does the duckwalk or spins on the ground, while rippin solos out. he is one wit the guitar. ok, im just kiddin bout 'being one' wit the guitar but its kinda metaphoric.

Latest posts

Back