Is a squier strat worth modifying?

hobbes

I have a 300$ squire strat that i wanna fix new pickups and some mods like changing pickguards and stuff. Will it be worth the money/investment? or should i just save for a fender strat?

If your guitar feels good to play, and the general condition is still good, sure can.

Changing pickguard and electronics will not affect your guitar in anyway, so its fine to do so.

Even if you upgrade the tuning machine heads, its reccomended. All these are within the norm to hop up a guitar. You might even be keeping that guitar for a long time too. So upgrading parts is as natural as buying a new guitar.

Unless you are doing something major like fitting floyd rose or something, then have to consider. as some of these fix will cost as much or much more than the worth of the guitar itself.

But some people keep their guitars for life, so it's a personal preference. Do note that by upgrading parts, it often does not increase the resale value of your guitar.

no.

it's a squier. unless it's an 80s squier it's not worth your time or money. good pickups in lousy tonewood just makes the dullness of the wood come out more clearly and you'll still end up sounding like a jerk. you're probably better off saving your money and getting a guitar with some good tonewood like basswood or alder, or mahogany, or even agathis (which are some of the most commonly used tonewoods available).

you could do well getting an epiphone (mahogany) or fender mexi tele/strat (agathis or alder) and upgrading the pickups, but don't waste your money and time upgrading a non-vintage squier.

IF you are using an 80s squier though, don't replace the pickups!! keep it stock, you can sell it for a ton!! (and they're great guitars)

Dhalif will be coming in with guns blazing to defend squiers soon :lol:

Hmm, actually sometimes you can turn an otherwise below average squier into something much better, i'm referring to "inferior" batches. Stuff like pickguards are a personal touch, but i still do feel pickups play an important role in guitars like these. For example EMGs, actives, in a way people describe them as totally insensitive to whatever woods they might be in. So, if you put them into an otherwise inferior instrument, they have the possibility of sounding that much better. After all, many custom exotic wood guitars have EMGs in them, somehow they add a touch of class as well. As for the passives, unless the body wood is in totally bad shape, i feel they would play a big part in overall tone as well. I certainly enjoyed transforming my Aria LP copy from a below average instrument into something i really enjoy playing with. It's evolution in the process, as you grow as a musician, your guitar grows with you :D

Well, these are just my thoughts.

Ultimately, only do it if you feel a strong connection with your instrument. If you plan on selling the guitar in the future, and the mods you want are expensive, don't waste the money.

you should just get a new guitar... cause fender has an all new touch, comfort and tone... And wood afftects the sound characteristics... So no matter how you change the pickups, there'll be a same 'sprecialty' to the sound... unless you bother all the way to change the body and neck, but that goes equivilent to buying a new guitar... However, if you feel that the squier has just the right 'thing' for you, keep it, modify it...

think about it.... HOW MANY PEOPLE would go up the stage with a frikkin squier? no one! thats the problem with singapore..... ha ha ha must ibanez lah jackson la fender la tom anderson la.. kfc la mcdonalds la all that brand shit la..but then if you go up with a squier.. alone.. and it sounds so good it puts the ibanez-es the fenders the whatever to shame.. den u check out the face on those simi lanjaos.. HA HA HA...

urs is 300 dollar squier right? u know how much is mine? 50 dollars.

hi bro...
as mike mention, if u like the feel of the guitar just go and mod it...
feel is important man...its personal.

i`ve been using, jackson, ibanez...but at times i prefer my squire ...
or my old cheapo bc rich strat...

If you love the feel of the squier , just do what you think it is right , follow your heart . I have a Squier strat too , I just change the bridge pick up to a seymour duncan half stack and with a DS-1 it sounds good to me which is enough . As long as you are happy playing with it , that is what matters

Cheers and DS-1 rocks
purplehaze3691

seriously.. you should just keep the guitar.. and mod it as and when u feel like it..nothing wrong with a squier man.. like purplehaz said..

so yah.. HOO AH! squier army...

dhalif said:
think about it.... HOW MANY PEOPLE would go up the stage with a frikkin squier? no one! thats the problem with singapore..... ha ha ha must ibanez lah jackson la fender la tom anderson la.. kfc la mcdonalds la all that brand shit la..but then if you go up with a squier.. alone.. and it sounds so good it puts the ibanez-es the fenders the whatever to shame.. den u check out the face on those simi lanjaos.. HA HA HA...
urs is 300 dollar squier right? u know how much is mine? 50 dollars.
i respect this attitude man! :smt023

i can probably relate this to expensive modification on your existing cheap car? if you think its worth, go ahead. personally i wouldn't.

we all know people go for brand.. dont lie u ! ... and squier players doesnt sound like a jerk. maybe they sound bad but dont sound like a jerk u know u know... we need not be jerks because we play squiers ha ha ha..

As much as I love my Ibanez.. I love my Aria Pro more...

*Hugs his Aria Pro II*

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

HOW MANY PEOPLE would go up the stage with a frikkin squier? no one! thats the problem with singapore.....

Me :D I don't feel any shame playing a so called "lesser" instrument. It's always the player, not the guitar :wink:

Cavett said:
As much as I love my Ibanez.. I love my Aria Pro more...

*Hugs his Aria Pro II*

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

early aria pro ii series?

aria pro ii early is the PRO guitars leh. big things on ebay nowadays. :p

Latest posts

Back