Intro: Joyc

somebody said:
drum game machines are spastic..

Hi joyc,

abt drum machine ( ive nv tried em b4 so iam in no position to comment).
I do agree on a mentor, it helps u to play certain beat/ and correct way of playing that certain groove etc.
Book are useful when you have acheived a basic standard of drumming n books will help u advanced further..
My personal experience, no matter who you ask, hw experienced the teacher is, most of them will tell you the same thing, practice practice practice! practice your strokes esp ure rudiments..trust me it does helps a lot...perhaps you wun feel the difference but when you play on a real set you will feel the diff. you can start off trying dble strokes or pararidle
Play with feel, this is very important...

If u decide on lessons...get one to one lesson instead of a whole class...
If you have frens playing in bands, go watch their jamming session (actually i do learn a lot by looking at diff drummers play/diff types of music)
Experiement n try...
:wink:

I say every way of learning drums is good.
Group lessons, private lessons?
Sure, private lessons are better but can prevent you from buying that dream kit. Teacher? Self-taught? Teachers can teach you a lot especially when you just started.

Just keep listening to the drums when any song is playing, whether live or not and try to copy and experiment.

Rudiments, books...some say you don't need to be able to read to be good (Buddy Rich couldn't read I heard) but lots of ppl say that you need to learn your rudiments (need to be able to read to learn them).

Just keep practising. It's better with music and esp. when you play in a band.

on drum game machine: i've played those stuff for fun long time ago. it is definitely way way different from playing a real drumset. At least at that time, i did have access to a drum set in school and that totally threw me off. Nice to play though if wanna vent your anger :wink:

Yes, i do feel the need for a one-to-one instructor, that's why i'm looking for one. Money isn't the real obstacle to buying that drum kit, becoz i'm working and can save up for it.. it's space. Home's too cluttered, plus when youi live in flats, no neighbors will appreciate it. believe me, i tried bringing my trumpet home to practice last time. Even with a mute on, the neighbours and even my own family will screaming at me to cut it out. :roll: I'm sure everyone has that problem. So someone suggested the drumpads. which i will check out, or i'll just keep whacking the pillows till i can figure out a better solution.

Paradiddles and rudiments, interesting... i shall have to check that out too. so much to explore, that's great!

i managed to d/l a LTE clip, that's really is good. everyone shld check it out.

Thanks Ambidextrous, for the recommendation for replugged. bugis village will be a great help, a stone's throw away from work, which means i can crawl there for lessons without hurrying.

Cheers everyone! Keep rockin!

___

BTW, for all who love jazz music, check out Harry's lineup. I'm impressed everytime they bring in all these singers from overseas.

RIMG0165.jpg

manged to get this into my room after swtiching to a double-decked bed.
share the room with my elder bro.
so far so good.
havent had coffee with any officers yet so far. haha.

\m/

kool! are those white pads the drum pads everyone's been talking about?

p.s. Replugged.com's charging $90/4 sessions of 30 mins each for indivisual lessons. is that reasonable?

oh no no.
those are just pieces of tape i stuck on my toms.
if you're looking for rings to contain the awful sounding vibrations of ur toms or snare, get E-Rings.
pretty cheap.
can get em at swee lee or most music outlets.
yeap.

90 dollars for 4 half an hour lessons?
dats pretty expensive to me.
hah. there are free basic lessons around if you're looking for some.

Back