instrumentals: what do you picture in them?

fenderrules

hi guys, im kinda sick, and nothing is better than some warm drink.....and a soothing instrumental to go with it =)

lets make a compilation of the different personalities, emotions and mind pictures that instrumentals portray. it doesnt have to be just a guitar instrumental, but it can also be stuff like some easy listening music, jazz, funk....anything which is doesnt have vocals in it. it can be more than one song.

i suggest that this be stickied too, as im sure you all wanna share what you like as music and art.

ill start first with the famous G3

eric johnson - manhattan: a beautiful song to listen to, when going back home, when sitting back on your big armchair, getting away from all the hustle and bustle of city life. after all, it is about a city, and i feel that the soothing chord intro portrays the sun setting in the city and getting ready for the gentle night life. this sets a relaxing mood as the song sways among the streets, wine bars, hotel entrances and not forgetting the people coming back from work, loosening their ties and smoking the occasional cigarette (lol sorry if that startled you), some parts of the song also takes you into the wine bars itself and lets you visualize a jazz band playing to the beat. soloing parts take you on the manhattan "helicopter" or 3/4 birds eye view of the city....flying by some business buildings and some apartments with their lights on. theres the occasional "i got the blues" mood, as well as....well...lets just say you'll be sleeping at the end of the song..cuz all you wanna do is RELAX.

steve vai (my guitar hero) - the crying machine: this out-of-this-world instrumental by vai has proven itself to saying that shredding isnt everything. it takes you on a ride thru a mystical land, where everyone releases their troubles into their "crying machine devices" and cries along to the sound of the machines making the noises ala vai depending on the troubles depressed people have. harmonics and whammy bar tricks in the song express how exhausted and tired people are. lol, i shouldnt even be writing too much cuz this instrumental is indescribable.

joe satriani - midnight: is it me, or am i starting to think about the medieval ages when listening to this one? satriani's tapping technique on midnight is truly amazing as this one sits you down and lets each note bring inner power to the soul. chanting comes to mind when heard with the slight drums and cymbals and clapping of hands. the "ritual of inner healing" is visualized and you'll find yourself levitating in the air by gentle blue rays of lights. somehow, this song also takes me into those remote places like those american wood forests and theres a gentle fire burning, with a man playing a tune on one of those nostalgic musical instruments as he takes you away in a dream....from the start.

yups....these are my mind pictures of G3. cant wait to see what the rest of you creative mind musicians have to say about your favourite instrumental.

cheers! ;)

another fav of mine is Joe Santriani's Summer Song...
makes you fell happy.. :D :D :D
not to forget..Cromox's I don't belong here

Santana's El Farol. And anything from Steve Vai's the seventh album. I'm not really into Steve Vai's fast stuffs but more into his ability to use textural guitar work. Even in some of his fast guitar pieces, the notes are put together so that it creates a certain texture when play fast repeatedly. That's what I like about Steve Vai.

Pat Metheny Group - Last Train Home..
Everytime I hear it makes me feel liek going back to Singapore haha. Theres this very...hopeful yet moody (?) quality about it haha. Cant be explained adequatly in words.

I picture various things from these various songs ..

Eric Clapton: Homeboy, Dixie (FRom Homeboy soundtrack album).

Steve Morse: Ghostwind (High Tension Wires), User Friendly (Coast to Coast)

George Benson / Chet Atkins: Breezin (Sails)

Jose Feliciano: Affirmation, La Entrada Del Bilbao (misc)

Mark Knopfler: Going Home (Live - Alchemy)

Steve Vai: The audience is listening (Passion & Warfare)

Joe Satriani: Surfing with the Alien

Tommy Emanuel: The entire duet album with his brother.

Ry Cooder: Soundtracks for Crossroads & Streets of fire.

SRV: Lenny

FGL: Majulah Singapura :wink:

Triptych - Siam Shade
Gives me some happy feeling. Lol.

Glasgow Kiss - John Petrucci
Reminds me of Star Ocean 3, and I kinda like that instrumental.

Haha, been away for quite awhile.....

Triptych gives me the sonic the hedgehog feel

Glassglow kiss gives me the feeling of being in Ireland

And Joe Sat's searching gives me the alienated feel

Latest posts

Back