Ibanez: V-Blade VBT700

subversion

38284_l.jpg

Ibanez V-blade VBT
List: $1,400

Ibanez has reserved the X-series offering to accommodate the more radical guitar design of which the Iceman had been the preferred pick since its inception in the ‘70s. Other notable (former) members in this club include the Rocket Roll V & the Explorer-esque Destroyer. The latter, of course, had been the fancy employee of Edward Van Halen in the band’s ‘Women & Children’ first, till its retirement due to an artistic, but indeed reckless, hacking of the guitar’s tail-end body area.

The V-blade you see here is a current subject of a legal pursuit against the manufacturer (currently removed from the catalogues) but a limited number had made it to these shores. The V outline is indeed an intriguing body design since its debut by Gibson decades ago but had managed to appease fans in droves due to the menacing aura it exudes, particularly appealing to the aggressive musicians better known as ‘metal’ to the rest of us.

Construction/ fit/ finish
Like its Xiphos sibling in this series, the VBT sports a neck-through construction & a wholesome finish from one end to the other. While the essence of it feels synthetic, the guitar does feel full to the touch but isn’t as massive. The Indonesian workmanship illustrates a high degree of conception thus revealing no traces of rudimentary flaws: sharp neck edges & bleeding finishes are thankfully absent.

Particularly appealing is the rosewood fretboard grade here; no dry spots detected.

Rating: 90%

Playability/ tone
The inherent design of the VBT necessitates a strap-on audition but the strap buttons on these guitars are not fitted at the factory, the onus is on the user to do so upon purchasing. The guitar played sitting down isn’t one to adhere to instructions to stay put but if you place one of your laps in between the V’s gap, it would oblige a classical guitar type placement.

The finished neck needs a little getting used to because the lacquer grade isn’t as Gibson appealing, nevertheless it remains playable. The neck profile, while sporting a Wizard II measurement on paper, has a chunky feel; quite an SG-esque affair. The playability plus point is definitely its upper fret access which is virtually unobstructed. Together with the jumbo frets on board, it’s an absolutely enjoyable finger acrobatic platform.

This author would also like to applaud the manufacturer for the inclusion of the Gibraltar Custom bridge, despite being a tune-o-matic variation; it makes its presence felt (similarly in Mike Mushok’s baritone guitar as well as the SZ2020). The bridge unit has a massive base buffer component which dissipates the instrument’s string vibration effectively to the body hence the fine sustain available from this guitar. The other benefit would be the bridge’s ability to be recessed for lower action employment.

All in all, the VBT's ergonomics & non-locking nature would appeal to the 'no-frills & all play' camp.

Moving on to tone, the DiMarzio humbuckers in the VBT are the identical D Activator model residing in the Xiphos but the tonal performance here is rather different. Do note that the clean tones on offer are acceptable but stellar they are not. Driven, both the neck & bridge units are unable to comprehensively capture bottom end chugging. The guitar threatens to be midrange inclined even when plugged into a 12” driver equipped amplifier. Nevertheless, it is heartening to know the pickups retain its rich second order harmonics trigger; it’s simply shred-tastic to say the least.

Tone test equipment:
• Amps: Peavey Triple XXX (1X12)/ Randall RG200/ Roland CUBE 30X

Rating:
• Playability: 90%
• Tone: 75%

Conclusion
The various V designs in the market are especially captivating visually, this VBT included. The guitar has limited sitting-down appeal but let this be the least of your worries as the playability in whole is nothing short of superb. This guitar is also proof enough that, despite having a set of branded humbuckers, tonal appeal would include the overall mass-electronic chemistry & not merely pickups consideration per se. Sensibly, the VBT is not for the proponents of drive-subtlety & sparkling clean jazz tones.

Overall rating: 79%

-Hard case included
-Impressive QC

Dislikes:
-Bass response could have been more appealing

Worthy competitors;
• ESP Std V
• Jackson JS30KV
• Gibson Flying V Faded
• Dean VX

PS: Thanks Adam @ Swee Lee BB showroom, for the review invitation + Ryan for helping out with the set-up & the 2nd opinion :smt023

i really wanted that guitar..

but they shud include a ZR trem too..

like epiphone.they have a string thru and a floyd model..for their gothic V..

the VBT was conceived to be utilitarian, the locking hardware are consigned to the 'more appealing' RGs & the likes.

of course, ibanez isn't obliged to reflect the Epiphone range...

the manufacturer could have done better in that light. thusfar, the ZR bridge is exclusive to the S-models. there seems to be quite a cult following with the ZR...

I remember sam totman had a model like this but with a locking edge bridge? i saw him use it at the concert. Don't think its available though, probably custom made for him.....

ive played this guitar in SL awhile back and i must say subversion is spot on when he says that the bass response could have been better. it is definetly a great guitar with the gain turned up, this guitar really kills. definetly not meant for the non-rock/metal people.

i'm still wondering what makes the DiMarzio D Activator tick- they reside in 2 different guitars (Xiphos/ V-Blade) but marked differences could be heard...

I really never saw this design outside Ibanez. Wonder why they're getting flack for this.

They could have two versions. One with hardtail bridge and the other with ZR tremolo. Because some here like me still prefer the good 'ol hardtail.

OMG... and the other day I was just ranting on Ibanez having a flying V with Wizard-like neck... ARGHZ!!! WHY DO THIS TO ME!!!

hey this guitar is great man...

anywhere i can get it? dont wanna end up buying online...cant find it at the BB showroom

The neck joint on this guitar is a bloody embarrassment for a neck through, feels more like a set neck. Still really nice to play and look at though. Tone wise, it gets totally owned by my IC400. The build quality on the IC400 is also very obviously better.

I have plans to bring a guitar from overseas but I need some advice. Do you hand carry or check in the guitar? The flight luggage compartment is too small for the guitar.

Back