I have an old guitar at home...

geon

I have an old guitar at home. it is a YAMAHA G-231 II . I think its around 20 years already.

Currently two strings have snapped.

I do not know whether or not i should buy a new set of strings or buy a new guitar instead. Im trying to learn guitar.

Thanks for all your advice.

geon, before all the other guitar expert come in and give you their professional advise. me advise you to get some new strings and learn the guitar until

1. the guitar breaks into half
2. the guitar is preventing you from becoming a better player
3. the guitar require constant repair which amount more than the cost to get a new one.

acutally, i am in a similar situation as you. except my subject in question is a car. :lol:

soft said:
1. the guitar breaks into half
2. the guitar is preventing you from becoming a better player
3. the guitar require constant repair which amount more than the cost to get a new one.

*clap clap clap*

+1

Try restoring it to playable conditions first, then if after a month or two, you find yourself more interested, get a new one :D . Think of it as a demo guitar.

Keep it. And if you want to move on to Folk/Electric guitar, I'd advise you not to sell it, unless you really really can't afford a new one or it's really not playable.

hehe. everyone here very sensible. ya, i think so too, don't get new one yet. just change to new strings and try using. take it as incentive, if got progress, then later can reward yourself get new one! but if still can use, no need waste money lah! :wink:

vintage leh, if u want for a few more decades, ur guitar might go up in price. But for now, keep it. Its good to have a old guitar. I played my dad's 28 years old acoustic guitar(age is i guess one, but somewhere there) and never once i smash it so i can get a new one.

Re: vintage?

geon said:
so i keep it? if i change the string is it still considered vintage? :p

Haha if you didn't change the strings for 20-odd years I doubt anyone would trust that you kept it in good condition...

go buy guitar polish, go do a setup, polish your rusted metal parts polish til you can see yourself in the reflection and buy lots of guitar picks

So soft..... If I play better on someone else's guitar than my own, my guitar is preventing me from becoming a better player? And I messaged you about changing my username you didn't reply me.. :(

If I'm not wrong, that's a classical guitar and made in japan. Much better than what you'll find for the same price today. Contrary to popular belief, a classical guitar is actually the hardest to start on due to the big neck and high action. However, due to the nylon strings, its not so tough on the finger tips.

Im using a G-55A given to me by my aunt who used it when she was a teenager
Not sure how old it is exactly but its definitely older then me(17 years)
was the very first guitar i played on, though its real old, it still feels good to play with :wink:

Latest posts

Back