How to prepare yourself for a gig

sofyan

This is inspired by the other thread on Singapore gigs and about new bands.
I'd like to just say what I think one should do in order to prepare for a gig, I've played quite a number of gigs in the past and each time I learn from a mistake. Ahahhaha, so u can imagine how many bad gigs ive had la. anyway.

Make sure you're in tune!
Wear your strap in such a way so that u are comfortable, don wear it low just cause it looks cool and u will have difficulty playin.
If you wear long sleeve, make sure it doesnt cause and difficulty when ur playing.
You won't always be able to hear yourself or your other bandmates playing, so you gotta be supertight and know which part of the song u are at. U can always follow the drummer. If during your performance u realise ur out of tune, STOP. don't continue cause it'll only be a bad performance.

What else am I forgetting? You guys chip in la :)

if u forget ur solo, just improvise. if ur drummer comes in wrongly, just continue dont stop and dont do obvious signs that u screw up. that time i was at school of rock got 1 band the drummer went off timing and didnt let the lead guitar solo but then they were like lookng at each other talking "what happen why like that?" so a bit unnatural. should continue instead...

Please do not jump around like monkeys if you cannot do it and play in time at the same time...

It makes you look stupid.

Make sure you bring everything you need, picks,adaptor,pedals,STRAP,batteries if u not using adaptors,cables.

If you wanna be extra prepared u can bring some spare strings, ive never done that tho.

And have an extra pick where its convenient. Be it lips, armpits, shirt pocket, pickguard. wherever. ITs very uncool to run back to the amp to get a pick or otherwise bend over and pick up.

AgingYouth said:
Please do not jump around like monkeys if you cannot do it and play in time at the same time...

It makes you look stupid.

this reminds me of the guitarist from one of the better known local bands....

Have backup guitars around (if possible) in case you break the strings on your main guitar.

If you're above 18, whack some beer before going up :smt030

Alcohol, though a vice, helps build confidence :D

satch said:
this reminds me of the guitarist from one of the better known local bands....

who ?

change the batt of ur effects the day before, change strings 3-4 days before. and warm up before going up.

Don't ever stop even if something goes wrong. My school had a performance last time and the vocalist forgot his lyrics. Everyone stopped and they really made a big fool out of themselves! :lol:

hellmurderer said:
Don't ever stop even if something goes wrong. My school had a performance last time and the vocalist forgot his lyrics. Everyone stopped and they really made a big fool out of themselves! :lol:

If you can cover your mistakes then i guess you don't have to stop, but if its something uncoverable like tuning haywire etc my suggestion is u stop and take care of those things first. What the point of carrying on a bad performance. :wink:

i was once the only monkey. i was the only 1 headbanging. n the rest of my band mates like bored unclefuckers. ahhh..memories. Yeah one tip, if u start shaking, move ard, picture the audiences as nothing but trash, or just imagine ur some great guitar/drum/bass/vocal god. Or bttr, slot in english in indian accent, TENSION'S GONE!

BlackMoo said:
Don't paint your face, unless you're clown from slipknot.

i dont think dimmu are clowns, neither are behemoth, neither are emperor, or neither are the other black metal bands.

Once you are prepared for everything, the next thing is just have fun on stage. Wear some war paint if u like, u can even make urself look like a watermelon.

Latest posts

Back