How do I get a good sound?

For recording guitars, especially with distortion, an amp with a 57 and a cheap interface with mic preamp will sound way better than the most expensive DI.

We can go into details of the quality of preamps and microphones blah blah blah, but that road is a never ending one.

sorry sidetrack a bit, Amir, would really love to hear from you on your setup. especially preamps, A/D converters etc. am looking to upgrade and am being swayed by too much marketing. hoping to get some feedback. thanks dude!!

To record in your bedroom...

You need :
1. Capable Audio Interface.
I recommed Digidesign MBOX, since you will have the most favourable software and it's for real : ProTools.
Do research the manual, forum online to get the best result of it.
Major issues will be Latency especially if you using alot VST plugins for Direct Recording.
2. Good cables, MBOX and other semi-pro Audio Interface utilized with 1/4" unbalanced INSTRUMENT input. So you don't worry to invest on a DI box. You plug in it, play your guitar and record it. You need 1/4" unbalanced cable.
You may go this way : Guitar > your FX Boxes > INST in on your Audio Card.
Premade 1/4" to 1/4" guitar cable easy to get in singapore, don't you?
If you like, you can simultaneously record your Vocal too. Audio Interface minimum will have 2 INPUT and 3 Type of INPUT. Hi-Z (line), Lo-Z (mic) and Instrument. You can go with 2 Inputs, ussualy the type selectable.

4. Good Headphones or Speaker Monitors.
5. Good Computers. I recomend Mac Book or PC Intel Core 2 Duo with minimum 2GB RAM. 7200RPM HDISK. TEXAS Instruments Firewire Chipset (mostly, Audio Intercface required specific chipset)
6. AMPLITUBE is best for Beginer to start record.
You need to Plugin a AUX trax (in ptools) and route it to AUDIO track so you can record it. Please noted, LATENCY will be your big issues since it's A nATIVE system. Means, The Software and whole processing depend on your Computer Specs and Configs. No Dedicated Hardware to Controll it in Native System.
Yo can simulate most favourable AMPS and Stomps in AMplitube.
7. Patient. Step By Step...Don't give up....yes you can....:mrgreen:

Back