Hi gain amps

penta-tonic

hi i was wondering with a budget of about 1.8k wat amp can i buy. hoping to get one with the amount of gain similar to a mesa boogie which is kinda outta my budget.

At that budget, you can get a good Peavey tube amp, like TripleX, Ultra tube or 5150 combo 2X12. Peavey amps are known to be pretty gainy too. Good engineering too.

Other than that, you are stuck with Marshall JCM2000 with the next in line choice locally.

actually i was thinking of de 5150 too. was thinking of buying one n chopping it into half cos i want an amp i can actually bring to gigs. anyway do u noe whether swee lee still has it cos i heard its discontinued.

ChanMin said:
dun need to think liaoz. 5150 combo. plus order eurotubes.

Where do you order your tubes from? What kind are they (12Ax7 variants?) and how much gain do they have?

im not another chanmin la. just that de 5150 combo weighs 84pounds which is roughly 38kgs. im not strong n i dun own any mode of transport. furthermore the 5150 head offered only comes with 120 watts which is waaaay overkill for me. i only need about 50 watts.

is there any alternative cos truth is im oso not really sure about chopping de amp into half. maybe another amp.

if you dont have any form of transport i dont think brining any amp except a practice amp out would be feasible, not by public transport at least

if you want something lighter try the xxx 1x12 but its a little more ex

maybe this Triple XXX is for you:

Triple XXX Super 40 EFX
137586.jpg

40W only, very good for home use. just bear with the on-board FX in there (chorus/ flange/ etc.). the default 12" speaker is also impressive, i like it a lot. would you pay $1,600 for it? still availble @ the dealer's...

Heehee..... I have been lugging around amps weighing up to 50Kg for the past 2 years, cuz its part of me work.

Get a Peavey Bandit if you want an amp with versatile tone and awesome power for its size n weight. But one catch, it's purely solid state.

mikemann said:
Heehee..... I have been lugging around amps weighing up to 50Kg for the past 2 years, cuz its part of me work.

Get a Peavey Bandit if you want an amp with versatile tone and awesome power for its size n weight. But one catch, it's purely solid state.

nothing bad about solid state, really. if it's the tone you like, then it's the tone you like, tube or otherwise.

but wouldnt it be possible to bring amp heads out for gigs? i was looking at a laney GH50L head. an amp with 5 gain stages. almost equal to the 6 gain stages the 5150 has. well i dunno. i still have yet to get my ass down to auditioning the amps. been real bz and ill only haf the cash end of may.

well i havent got time to cut my amp yet...

but i definitely will. 60watt all tube head... with all the gain you need. eurotubes came very highly recomended so i ordered em too... bob was a great guy.. i took the standard 5150combo package.
didnt need the ultra gain tubes...as i felt my combo has too much gain...

well when i actually get to do this ...in about 3 weeks time.. i will take pictures and stuff... im very certain my 5150 60 watt head plus matching 2x12 cab will be a sight to behold.

subversion said:
maybe this Triple XXX is for you:

Triple XXX Super 40 EFX
http://images.misupply.com/products/full/Peavey/137586.jpg
40W only, very good for home use. just bear with the on-board FX in there (chorus/ flange/ etc.). the default 12" speaker is also impressive, i like it a lot. would you pay $1,600 for it? still availble @ the dealer's...

i would definitely get this! but i dont like the logo of the girl at the bottom left corner :evil:

Might want to wait as Peavey has recently released some Tube Amps (think is Tube King) as well as the JSX in combo.

the jsx amp sucks unless ure planning on using the ibanez js model with the amp. anyway joe aint famous for anything high gain so im not gonna buy it. dun mind buying the 6505 tho. its a reissue of the infamous 5150.

Latest posts

Back