Help : Microphones

Exophagy

I'm having trouble finding a good microphone. I only want the mic to record at home, in my room. (Just acoustic guitar and vocals)

Right now I'm using some Phillips microphone. I don't have much problems with its quality, but the sound that it picks up is VERY soft. You can see some examples on kyleisazebra.imeem.com. I had to increase the volume of all the songs using my computer to the max (without clipping), and they are still quite soft.

Anybody can recommend a decent mic for me to use? I'm not looking for some high-end ownage mic. I just need a mic that can pick up sounds from a reasonable range (my acoustic guitar and face is about 40cm apart so both need to be heard) at a decent volume.

Thanks

how are you connecting your microphone to your computer right now?

a condenser microphone will be good for recording acoustic guitar. it can pick up finer details at soft volume.

you also need to have a pre-amp that has phantom power as most condenser mic require phantom power.

give us a budget so that we can recommend some gears for your set up.

* there are some USB condenser microphone that can be connected directly to the computer via USB. not too expensive too.

http://soft.com.sg/web/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=32936

exo : ok i take it as you're really new so I'll be as simple as I can here.

basically to record , the signal chain goes -

Microphone > Preamp > Soundcard > DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) a.k.a audiorecording softwares like cool edit / adobe audition / cakewalk / cubase etc.

Mic picks up the sound waves

Preamp boosts the mic gain volume (this is the reason why your own recording is soft. it lacks a preamp.)

Soundcard to plug the mic into.

DAW software that sets your computer to record whatever that goes into the soundcard.

-----

2nd part. a Mixer has "EQ/Panning/Preamp/Phantom Power adapter built in"

otherwise most preamps come with phantom power.

now you ask, why need phantom power?

commonly 2 kinds of mics : Dynamic / Condenser.

dynamic doesn't need phantom power.
condensers however needs.

----

3rd part , as james (soft) highlighted, there are USB mics too for people who don't want to buy too many seperate crap.

---

so to highlight your situation what you're doing here is :

El Cheapo Phillips mic > PC 16 bit normal soundcard (Creative probably) > DAW.

you're missing a preamp which explains your soft volume.
but even if you had one. your cheap mic will probably record at lo-fi quality sounding. on top of that , your normal PC soundcard would end up recording making it sound lo fi too.

so now like SOFT recommends a USB mic since you are not interested in doing serious recording or anythin , the connection goes :

Samson (e.g) USB mic > DAW/PC tada.

as it is a "Mic / Preamp / Soundcard (Audio Interface) " all in one.

hope this helps you get a better understanding about everythin.

Is the impedance properly matched if connect mic to computer directly ?
I heard from some guy that if not matched, can get weak signal also. Really?
I am often confused about the impedance matching thing.

impedance ah... i'm not sure how to phrase.

but i know it's something to do with

1) balanced a.k.a XLR , TRS (tip ring sleeve) .. low impedance (Lo Z)
2) unbalanced... high impedance (Hi Z)

for 1) I can't say ALL microphones lo Z , because the cheap karaoke mics are Hi Z, they end with a 1/4jack (like guitar). but most microphones are lo Z.

2) guitar's 1/4jack cables.

so if you get a good mic like sm58 (instead of karaoke) , and use a XLR (from the mic) >> 1/4jack unbalanced + 1/8 (earphone jack) to plug into your soundcard. i believe thats where you'll get an "impedance mismatch".
UNLESS it's

mic > XLR to XLR > mixer/preamp > RCA (red/white cables) OR headphone out > your soundcard.

hope i didn't say this wrong.

the more well versed in theory ones kindly help speak up and ejucate. haha

30¢ worth

Hiaks.... I am not supposed to be confused about this.
Going to have test soon this week on whole lot of op amp stuff, which I am still very blur.
Cham liao...

sm57 not good enough for 40cm away as its a dynamic microphone, not sensitive enough, i recommend you Shure PG81 for instrument recording and i'm sure you can get below S$200 bucks. Other choices: Studio projects, rode or AKG, if you can come out better budget, sm81.

agreed..with a 57 you'd probably end up with an off axis sound on either the vox or guitar.

one ultra cheap option would be the behringer ecm800 condensor. intended as a measurement mic, omni pattern and relatively flat freq response.. it runs around $80 and sounds decent for the price.

i can yet suggest an EVEN cheaper alternative.. but one thing.. i think you guys missed the post where he mentions "he's going with the USB mic" haha.

eh? hijack ah...

i know balanced is usually associate with xlr jacks and unbalanced is usually associated with 1/4" jacks, but i always thought they could be interchangable? its just the signal type after all right?

curious...

i heard about something impedance mis matching can possibly blow your mic if you supply phantom power to it or something... that one not sure myself.

oh sorry miss out the usb part, sorry i'm not sure about the connection for usb microphones and how it works as its not commonly use

yap i know people are using mic -> preamp/interface, but i never come people are using direct mic to computer, is there such a thing?

Back