Help me out please! (guitar song)

The-Warlord

I need to record a "solo performance" so if you guys could tell me a song for one guitar that shows of good electric lead skills? I'm no Joe Satriani but I cant find anything decent.....and suggestions?

try stuff by: stevie ray vaughan, yngwie malmsteen, paul gilbert, mark tremonti or even john petrucci. :D if u can dream it u can play it.

hey Warlord,

Are u looking for melodies kinda solo or those shred stuff?
Or isit showmanship that ur talking abt?
Since ur into metal stuff why dont u do a Megadeth or Metallica kinda solo..

just a suggestion...
sorry if i misunderstood u :)

little wing! - the jimi hendrix experience

always with you, always with me - satch

summer song - satch

call of ktulu - u shld know

Hmmmm.... How good are you man? Telling you ain't satch ain't telling a lot...

If you are doing a solo solo, as in you alone playing, no band nothing, try to choose something that has a distinct melodic theme to it. No point shredding like nuts, being very impressive when no one will remember what you played in the end. Moreover, playing something familiar makes people listen to how you handle that tune and what twists are you doing to it.

You could play a simple song and make it rock. "I Love Rock n Roll" is one very recognisable tune. If you can, Van Halen's Eruption is cool but cliché. Heh... or for kicks, try playing a traditional tune like Chan Mali Chan. :lol:

But if its a solo with band backing, try this, if you can do it... Megadeth's Tornado of Souls solo. Marty Friedman absolutely slays on that solo...

IMO, try to stay out of Metallica solos... its been so overdone... I reckon there will be ppl who will immediately write you off.

ShredCow said:
If you are doing a solo solo, as in you alone playing, no band nothing, try to choose something that has a distinct melodic theme to it. No point shredding like nuts, being very impressive when no one will remember what you played in the end. Moreover, playing something familiar makes people listen to how you handle that tune and what twists are you doing to it.

But if its a solo with band backing, try this, if you can do it... Megadeth's Tornado of Souls solo. Marty Friedman absolutely slays on that solo...

Dude, you are a man after my own heart.

1) Yes, play a melody, not some frickin' olympic competition fretboard melting crud.
2) "Tornado of Souls" is in the top 10 best solos of all time. Perfect from start to finish in terms of melody, feel, build up crescendo, climax and resolve. 10/10 In fact, that album (R.I.P.) is essential listening for any metal guitar soloist wannabe.

vernplum said:
Dude, you are a man after my own heart..

Hahaha!!! HELL YEAH!!! Tornado of Souls!!!! First time I heard it, I was dizzy with guitar bliss! I had to hear it again and again! It has EVERYTHING IN A METAL SOLO!!! Except the whammy bar... but hey! Heh, its Marty Friedman!
Even now, when I hear it, I have to grap a guitar and play my heart out!

Why don't anyone make R.I.P quality albums again? Tremendous riffs, finger breaking solos and songs stuffed with attidude, singing abt REAL issues and not some teenage angst ridden crap. Not to forget, incredible melody thru out. :twisted:

Oh yeah, one more suggestion for a solo!

Bad Horsie by Vai.

Who can forget that riff? Plus incredible wah work... its a track meant for solo guitar, need no rhythm guitars... the tapping sections are one of the best pentatonic workouts I have heard, in terms of melody, speed and uniqueness for its time.

My fav solo..(Not in order)
Ozzy - Randy Rhoads
-Mr Crowley
-Revelation Mother earth
Loudness
-Shadows of war

Well I'm not good at all it seems...it is meant to show of my "skills"...I can't do something I wrote my self. Unfortunatly I don't have time to do Tornado of Souls, but its something like that that I had in mind....like the dude said not some olymic guitar competition...I can't play Yngiwe Stuff

The-Warlord said:
Well I'm not good at all it seems...it is meant to show of my "skills"...I can't do something I wrote my self. Unfortunatly I don't have time to do Tornado of Souls, but its something like that that I had in mind....like the dude said not some olymic guitar competition...I can't play Yngiwe Stuff

Hey man, there's no need to play Yngwie stuff! Just play the stuff that you are most comfortable with!

I mean, even if you are playing something like Old Macdonald, if you can pull it off with jest and style, I'm sure the audience will accept it.

Chill! Think of some simple song/tune that everyone can identify with... play it out with conviction and emotion, and I'm sure you will meet your goal. Or why not this... do a wanking solo, then insert a lot of familiar tunes in the middle! Its what many guitarist do in their solos...

Here's some tunes I thought of...
1. The Simpson's Theme. (Really wacky stuff)
2. Batman Theme. (Chromatic stuff... easier than Bumblebee! :) )
3. Super Mario. (Its kind of long, but its really famous!)
4. To Be With You by Mr. Big (Do the song melody, ppl might sing to it!)
5. Some classical tune like Beethoven's 5th Symphony (Kind of classy eh?)

In addition to tunes, you can add in some familiar riffs to make ppl go, Ohhhhhh!
1. Any Metallica song. (Very cliché though)
2. Smells Like Teen Spirit (Too simple but could be used as a "cover" before you start shredding!)
3. Its My Life (Use a wah!)
4. Smooth Criminal (Pretty headbanging riff there...)

So you could play this...
Smells like Teen Spirit
SHREDDDDDDDD!!!
Simpsons Theme
SHREDDDDDDDD!!!
Its my Life
Batman Theme
SHREDDDDDDDD!!!

You get the idea.... :wink:

i highly recomend "always with me always with you" by joe sat.

its simple but sounds very good

or if u hav a fairly good band... can try darkness songs.... if u want to show good lead.... darkness is the band for u... i koe its past christmas... but i cannot forget their christmas song.... it roXZ

Back