Guitar maintenance help!

NewGuy

I will be away for 6 mths and I dunno will my guitar be ok... so basically I need the following qsn to be answered... any tips and suggestions are more than welcome... Thanks...

Should I leave the strings on or remove them?

Will the protection be enough by just putting the guitar into a warwick rock bag (gig bag)?

Should I leave the bag with guitar upright or flat?

Can I put it in the cupboard?

NewGuy said:
I will be away for 6 mths and I dunno will my guitar be ok... so basically I need the following qsn to be answered... any tips and suggestions are more than welcome... Thanks...

Should I leave the strings on or remove them?

Will the protection be enough by just putting the guitar into a warwick rock bag (gig bag)?

Should I leave the bag with guitar upright or flat?

Can I put it in the cupboard?

what guitar is it?

maybe you can put it at my place and I'll take care of it :D

Popeye: it is an electric guitar... :lol: ... sz320

gilaman: no can do... I can't bring it with me

Noobastank: will taking out be better? What's the difference?

+1 to noobastank.

but imho, best idea will be to leave it with a friend whom u can trust not to bust the instrument, hopefully u have one of those who can play better than u, played longer than u, and have more knowledge than u :D then u toss it to him and pray he is as sensible as he is pro ~.~

DO NOT TAKE THE STRINGS OUT.

Leave them in.

If you must take them out, make sure your neck is as straight as possible.

ditto ShredCow.

leave the strings in-tact. string tension contribute marginally to neck warp, unless you upgrade your gauge & leave it unplayed. the more pressing matter here is temperature change. avoid leaving your guitar is a spot where there's a temperature fluctuation. eg:

*air-con, on-off repeatedly

*near window/ exposed to sunlight, hot/ cold repeatedly

the SZ320 has a significantly thicker neck than an average RG, it's more durable.

Keep whatever (old oxidised one better) strings you have currently on the guitar, in tune. Put it in a bag, keeping it in the cupboard upright could be the best thing to do. Like that less chance of itchy hands foolin with it while you not around.

Do not keep it in a cupboard with dehumidifier installed or used.

When you return, just take out the guitar, do not touch the tuning first. Test the tuning, if it's in tune or slightly out, your guitar is good. Restring it and continue from there.

If the tuning is badly out, don't fret. If you put new strings before you store the guitar, the strings will stretch, which is why I say oxidized ones better. Tune it up properly and test play, see if the action has become higher or any buzzing not there before. If so have to get it fixed.

A guitar is meant to maintain a certain tuning/tension. By destringing it or detuning it, you might need to setup again after prolong period.

:wink: ........do you think my advise sound logical and best.

Another note. Sweaty palms guitar owners always face a possible problem. If they don't use the guitar for a long period of time, the pots become jammed.

This is because of the salt content in the pot shafts after multiple usage. If you use the git often, the shafts won't sit there long enough to siezed up.

I don't think there is a possible preventive measure, as the salt already penetrate the internal shaft, unless you know how to dissmantle the pots to do preventive tasks. If you know how to, there is no issue even if it siezed up, you'd know how to replace.

You might need to replace siezed up pots after prolonged storage.

For most single rod truss rod necks, the truss rod's purpose is to counter string tension. If you remove the strings and leave it for a long time, the neck will probably back bow. This is the reason to keep the strings on. if its a double rod truss rod it doesn't matter that much if the strings are on or off.

newguy, when u going shanghai?
paiseh i haven't asked my colleague abt the guitar-shop filled street
i'll update u tomorrow

Ok... Thanks guys... I know what to do...

U guys are really helpful... haha... thanks

Once I come back I think I will send it for set-up and checking...

stillwater: I will be in shanghai on the 26th of sept... I may go early it depends on the sch...

Latest posts

Back