Goodness, Gracious Me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

claire_p86

PRC Operated Steamboat Serves Cockroaches!
Not only was STOMPer Kohan disgusted to find two cockroaches in a steamboat pot at this restaurant, he was also appalled that the staff did not apologise for the incident but commented that it was normal to find cockroaches in food.

Instead of expressing remorse for what happened, the restaurant staff told Kohan and his friends that it was not a big deal. They also insisted that the group pay for their meal in full.

getFullSizePhoto.do

===============================================================

Local Films With Rotten English Sent To Cannes: Telling World We Can't Speak Properly!
A STOMPer wonders why Jack Neo's movies always have titles that are grammatically incorrect and says that the broken English used is a disgrace to Singapore when local films are showcased overseas.

In particular, the sender refers to Jack Neo’s recent and past works such as ‘Where got Ghost?’ or ‘I not Stupid’.

Such movie titles are embarrassing as they give off the impression that Singaporeans cannot use proper English.

Furthermore, these films also contradict the media emphasis on proper English usage by misleading young people into thinking that such broken grammar is acceptable.

In an email, the STOMPer says:

“The Speak Good English movement has brought a lot of changes to our English based nation.

“One of the main reasons for this would be because of the emphasis on the use of proper English in the media.

“For example, the usage of Singlish in the sitcom, Phua Chu Kang, was decreased.

“However, movies produced by Jack Neo are always made in Singlish. For example, ‘Money No Enough’, ‘I Not Stupid’, and the upcoming ‘Where got Ghost?’.

“I would like to know if the MDA can do anything about this because such titles affect the young greatly.

“The problem of these titles can easily be fixed by modifying or adding a few words to make them sound more proper.

“These are locally produced movies that represent Singapore and Singaporean culture.

“What impression would it make if such movies are sent to Cannes?

“Are we saying that Singaporeans don’t use proper English?

“I hope some action will be taken accordingly.”

getMediumSizePhoto.do

Watching Mark Lee in the National Day parade the other day - I've always wondered why dialects like Hokkien and such, which are valid languages with real historical and geographical importance and significance, are banned on television while improperly spoken English, delivered in its always cringe-worthy form of Singlish, is displayed unabashedly in front of the whole world, on National Day no less.

I mean, Singlish is fine when spoken casually in our daily lives, and it actually serves a purpose, to facilitate communication between people who do not speak or understand English very well ie. Chinese educated people or people with low education, or for people who are just simply lazy to speak good, intelligible English.

But on television, with the possibility of people of other nationalities watching?

What will they think of us? Us who seemingly do not seem to care if others (non-Singaporeans) do not understand us?

Back to the National Day parade segment on the brief history of Singapore - hell, even Suhaimi Yusoff speaks much, much better English but he still is very funny and entertaining to watch.

So, you don't need to speak Singlish to be 'funny', right?

Yes, I know Mark Lee is playing the 'Ah Beng' character and thus speaking as such but hey - don't tell me his acting versatility is so limited that he has to play Ah Beng every single time? Tsk tsk.. he doesn't even need to play Ah Beng. He is just conveniently being himself.

I truly find it pathetic.

ps You don't have to agree with me. I just personally find it a ludicrous contradiction. ;)

Normal? Hmmm......I didn't know PRC foreign talents got their "talents" from eating cockroaches? Oh, well.....PAP doesn't seem to mind. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back