gibson... Esp...

depends i guess... if u really want a gibson tone stick to a gibson.

build and quality i can't comment... have never tried both.

you should be more specific on the tone you want, coz the gibson les paul and esp eclipse is 2 totally different animals. They only look similar and thats just about where the similarity stops.

From what i've known about the Eclipses compared to gibby les paul, is it has a thinner body,which makes it lighter, a belly contour at the back and thinner neck, and of course it comes stock with EMGs. 2004 models will come with EMGs 81/81 while the newer 2005 models will come with EMG 81/60. In terms of build and quality, i guess they're both up to par. Original ESP's are made in Japan. If you're getting a Gibby, do try out the guitars first tho. Their QC is kinda going down the drain.

I've never seen the model at davis, but american Eclipses has that strange cutaway in order not to get into a lawsuit *again* with gibson. But rest assured tho, its only in the US.

would a gibson LP fitted with emgs produce the same tone as the eclipse w/ emgs? since the PUs are active?
any idea if they which models of the eclipse davis carries? what about the viper series?

i dunno about the tone you'll get from an active EMG in a les paul but i guess its a lil different compared to the eclipse since it has more wood to the body.

Usually people go for ESP bec :-
(1) the funny body shape
(2) the EMG PUs

Tho body shape may be similar, but the sound u get will inevitably vary.

You may wanna head down to SweeLee & Davis respectively to check out their Gibby LPs & ESP Eclipse b4 u make up ur mind.

Btw, what kinda music u play & what kinda sound do u wan to derive from ur axe? Maybe it can help us to filter the choices to ur personal preference.

Lastly, if u r goin for the shape, u might wanna consider PinkSpId3r suggestion on the Tokai LP. Its relatively value for $$.

neuro182 said:
(1) the funny body shape
(2) the EMG PUs

uh...

1) no.
2) no.

usually they go for ESPs because, like any other well-made guitars, well-made guitars are worth going for. besides, you can get funny body shapes and EMG pickups in tons of guitar companies. ESP seems to sponsor a lot of metal bands though, so it seems like a lot of metal guitarists use them. just an observation.

i like the ESP. it's puuurrty. 8O

serialninja said:
neuro182 said:
(1) the funny body shape
(2) the EMG PUs

uh...

1) no.
2) no.

usually they go for ESPs because, like any other well-made guitars, well-made guitars are worth going for. besides, you can get funny body shapes and EMG pickups in tons of guitar companies. ESP seems to sponsor a lot of metal bands though, so it seems like a lot of metal guitarists use them. just an observation.

+1

To each his own.. Different people see things differently I guess.. Imho, u are right in saying most people go for guitars with brand, however, u cant get EMG pickups in most guitars from tons of guitar companies except the Zakk Wylde Gibby/Epi Custom & Kerry King's BC Rich.

ESP EX

moggie_54 said:
neuro182 said:

Rock on.. I love ESP.. :supz:

I personally used ESP EX series b4 (with EMG 81/81s). I love the deep chunky sound of it with distortion.

I left it behind & went ahead w Ibanez RG bec its quite versatile - 24 frets, Lo TRS II floyd rose bridge & a H-S-H pups setting. Currently, I'm super contented with it. Maybe if SweeLee gon' haf another 50% sale, I'll go get the RG350DX (somehow the INFINITY pups jus manage to flirt with my eardrums).

Re: ESP EX

neuro182 said:
moggie_54 said:
neuro182 said:

Rock on.. I love ESP.. :supz:

I personally used ESP EX series b4 (with EMG 81/81s). I love the deep chunky sound of it with distortion.

I left it behind & went ahead w Ibanez RG bec its quite versatile - 24 frets, Lo TRS II floyd rose bridge & a H-S-H pups setting. Currently, I'm super contented with it. Maybe if SweeLee gon' haf another 50% sale, I'll go get the RG350DX (somehow the INFINITY pups jus manage to flirt with my eardrums).

If you're super contented with the RG how come you're still selling it? Lol :lol:

ESP makes great guitars, I love their designs. And they endorse a lot of metal guitarists because they like the look and sound of ESP guitars. Looks to kill and sound to match :D

do all EMG equipped eclipses come with emg81-81 combo? are there any other emg PU configurations available? 81-85, 81-60?

Re: ESP EX

mero said:
If you're super contented with the RG how come you're still selling it? Lol

I'm selling it bec this RG isn't exactly giving me the sound I wanted. Not every RG sound the same. If u noticed, mine is a RG27SP which is not the conventional ones u wld get in the market. I'm looking forward to RG350DX tho.

one way to check out which PU is which on the guitar is by looking at the colour of the letters "EMG" on the pickups itself

Silver - 81
Grey - 60
Gold - 85
Orange - 89

Back