Gibson Customshop 1958 hotrod reissue, 1/6 prototype

squirrel

Hello all, I'm new to the site but I shall do my review of a guitar that I picked up a couple of days back.
P1020625.jpg

Now this piece for starters has

Carved flame maple top
Solid, non-weight relieved mahogany back
Suingle-ply cream binding on top
Thin toggleswitch washer and jackplate
Nickel hardware
ABR-1 bridge, lightweight aluminium stopbar
1-piece mahogany neck with long neck tenon
22 fret rosewood fingerboard
Acrylic trapezoid inlays (accurate shape and colour)
Single-ply cream binding
Early '50 rounded neck profile
24 3/4" scale length, 1 11/16" nut width
Holly headstock veneer
Vintage tulip tuners
BurstBucker 1 (R) and 2 (T) pickups
CTS pots and bumble bee capacitors
2 volume, 2 tone, 3-way selector switch
Vintage Reissue .010 strings
Cherry Red finish underscored by translucent flames
Brushed Chrome pickguard with engraved HOD ROD logo
Brushed chrome truss rod cover with engraved "58"
Heat oxidized pick-up covers

This baby is heavy as shit and has the fattest neck I've ever played on any Gibson in my life, I know there are softies out here who have played their fare share of Gibsons but so have I. So this is entirely my opinion.
Quality control on this piece is just plain excellent, for those of you who say that Gibson has poor QC, you probably bought a standard or just don't like Gibsons at all. Ok to be fare sometimes the QC is a little shoddy when they mass produce things but being a prototype I guess they picked all the best parts for this.
There are 150 of the limited production models around but this ISN'T ONE OF THEM. Only 6 prototype models were produced and released out as a lucky draw prize.
Like a typical les paul with a 50's neck profile, sometimes it is hard to play when you sling it low and the upper frets are a pain to reach but the tone of this guitar compensates for it all.
Typical low action settings and I must admit that she sounds like a 59 reissue, only that the 59 has a matt finish.

Overall I'd give this piece an 8/10, I've played better Guitars but this one just stands out amongst the rest.

I don't really know where you can get another one of the prototypes but there are 150 more limited edition ones out there on ebay and well somewhere in someones basement or attic.

Latest posts

Back