Gibson 50s tribute 2016 or PRS SE custom 24?

kzy

HI Guys, need some help to narrow down my decision!
which will you go for? both are very good guitars. just 1 is made in USA and the other is Korea made.

PRS might be slightly cheaper than the gibson.

Thanks!

i'm concern on the built quality. Gibson tribute is a entry level and not really sure on the built quality of it. i am considering on which is "worth" to get with the quality.

Thx!

I own a Gibson Tribute model & PRS SE.

Both guitars are good for the money. Yes, Gibson tributes are the more affordable models but they are worthy considerations. Majority of the selections are satin finished & this is the primary annoyance amongst owners- dents easily. However, the Gibson label commands a decent re-sale price if you are thinking of moving on in time to come.

The SE selections are recently Indonesian but I have to say, this is one of the best bang-for-buck models out there. I still hold the Korean versions in due respect but the Indonesian ones are worth the trouble. I own the Singlecut model.

hi, imho, if you're deciding on a PRS SE custom 24, check out a used USA PRS S2 satin custom 24.
It's almost the same price as a new PRS SE custom 24.
No worries about build quality for a PRS S2 USA model.

I have reservations on the quality of Gibs but if you're happy with them, go right ahead.
I personally would pick the PRS S2 satin as I prefer the a rounder radius (10" for PRS, 12" for Gib), satin finish neck (I've got sweaty hands, so dont like gloss necks) & 24 frets for the PRS.

Last edited:
I own a Gibson Tribute model & PRS SE.

Both guitars are good for the money. Yes, Gibson tributes are the more affordable models but they are worthy considerations. Majority of the selections are satin finished & this is the primary annoyance amongst owners- dents easily. However, the Gibson label commands a decent re-sale price if you are thinking of moving on in time to come.

The SE selections are recently Indonesian but I have to say, this is one of the best bang-for-buck models out there. I still hold the Korean versions in due respect but the Indonesian ones are worth the trouble. I own the Singlecut model.

There are two series I believe.

The PRS SE is still made in Korea.

The PRS SE Standards are made in Indonesia and are more affordable than the normal SEs. However, there are usually less options such as colour, and lack of maple tops on some standard models as compared the the equivalent model from the Korean SE range.

Personally I am biased towards PRS, but I do not like their stock pickups. Maybe you could get an SE and swap out for duncans, dimarzios or bareknuckles.

But honestly, PRS and Gibson are so different in looks and even sound that they aren't really a close comparison to people who are picky. If they are close substitutes to you, go and try as many of both models as you can and pick the nicest playing/nicest sounding/nicest looking one, regardless of price.

Latest posts

Back