Getting a new guitar!

november

alright, hi guys. im looking for a new electric guitar and would definitely like some advices and recs from you all.

im new into this electric guitar thing, played it for less than 5 times. had been playing an acoustic for more than a year now, however.

i would like to play more of hard rock/metalcore, influences like a7x, bfmv, gnr.

My budget is slightly <450dollars for the guitar, and im leaning towards the squier or a schecter.

What do you think? Does my budget allow? Should I get something of entry level since im relatively new in this field, or a second handed medium range one, or even a starter pack? Any other guitars to intro are also welcome :)

Reli great to have more seasoned players' opinions and thanks so much. rock on!

yup, guitar alone, as mentioned :)

how much does an average practice amps cost, btw? is it common to have packaged deals in local scene?

and pedals can wait till i get more familiarised with the guitar, i guess.

P/S: omg, ure actually from roadkill? I'd seen your hand of blood cover (at was it dxo?) more than once some time back and I have to say the screams good!

Last edited:
if you dont mind used guitars, med level range would be nice..
japan fenders? or have you considered custom built your own stratocaster?

For a $450 price range, custom built guitars are out. The guitar neck and body alone will cost you around $400 or more, depending on the quality. Pickups, tuners, electronics etc are not included yet. Not forgetting installation, set up charges etc. In your case, Squier, Schecter or Ibanez GIO will suit your budget.

Ryanz if there is a will, there will always be a way..

Tairaa what i mean is build your own not buy custom shop fenders
i been wanting to get a fender but.. but.. but.. hehe u know i know lah
still learning stage by trial & error, so i ask the seniors here for directions & guides too...

Maybe my expecction is too high but I"m eager to know where to custom built a guitar with $450. ;)

Last edited:
actually you can get an Ibanez SA120 for 450.
thats how much i got mine for.. but don't take my word for it.
go down to swee lee, try them out, and maybe if something catches your eye you can ask for a discount..nicely ;)

Maybe my expecction is too high but I"m eager to know where to custom built a guitar with $450. ;)

can... buy a very crappy guitar for less than 100. take the neck and body

buy pickups under 20bucks from the buy/sell section. those ppl discard from their squires/tgm or something

buy all the electronics and pots under 50bucks.

buy cheap hardware from buy/sell. 50bucks.

go to artfriend buy paint 20bucks.

total = 240bucks.

still can send for setup. :mrgreen:

there u go, ur own custom guitar. hahahhah

haha i made mistakes too, its not easy
& i do respect them who's been in it for many years..

also agree with your break down of cost, depend on quality
of course i had to spend more than that initially due to my stupidity..

pls think before you post, it may be mis interpreted as not an intelligent respond.
this is 1 of the reasons, why matured members i met who visit the forum are not into posting...

pls think before you post, it may be mis interpreted as not an intelligent respond.
this is 1 of the reasons, why matured members i met who visit the forum are not into posting...

hahah relax. i was joking.. :)

in fact i'm trying to prove ur statement isnt wrong..

dudelove: Yes, this is a way depending on your requirement. Since the TS specified Squier, Schecter etc, I think its better to go in that direction.

no worries dudelove, i learn a lot from ryanz other technical postings too..
i was refering to ryanz on the cost break down, yes good parts may cost more but not to that extend
you must also realise you own expensive guitars which not many here can afford even at their deathbed.
coming from your statement is like putting down entry level parts & guitars which imho isnt a nice thing to do

For that budget, Squier california series should not be a problem. I personally like Squiers because most of those I've tried were impressive. That budget can get you a second-hand mid-level Ibanez like the SA120 and SA160, but I've heard bad things about the SA160 though, particularly about the QC.

eieio: No hard feelings but I'm not putting down entry level parts. I have thought of building my own custom guitar too. After checking out the prices, I feel that I can actually get a mid range guitar. What I said about the price range of $450 is based on my research of parts.

Go for a Squier if you like it. Squiers are good, entry level guitars, relatively cheap and sounds good as a practice guitar. Swap a few parts and you can make your Squier sound like a beast.

I currently use a Squier Strat California, so if you want to test it out drop me a PM yea? ;3 I'll be more than willing to let to give it a try

Firstly for getting any guitar , you have to know what kind of tone you want.
Bassy , bright etc.. and singlecoils or humbuckers. Theres no better or lousier here it depends on your own ears perference. Schecter guitars are definately worth it to me. If your getting one do consider one with Mahogany body and EMG pickups (my perfered guitar tone). You can also get LTD guitars they are well built as well. For LTD's you can get them at Davis guitars. I dont think you really want to get a squire though nothing overly great about them.

Back