General Election 2011: Some reminders...

subversion

polling-station.gif

dear friends, this saturday, may 7th, is polling day. i think many of us here are going to the polls to exercise our rights. hope the following reminders will make our polling experience incident-free- if there are people who will get into trouble with the law because they choose to be ignorant & kick up a petty fuss, then they are not SOFTies... hopefully this will be the case. the info shared here are general info, they are NOT confidential (so the authorities cannot go hunting for my posterior to be burnt at the stake, they can skewer pig posteriors at their BBQ pits instead), most of them (if not all) are re-iterated by Pierre Png on TV. in any case, i am election trained & will be on duty this saturday while you chaps are sitting comfortably at home, in front of your respective 60" LCD TVs, waiting for the election results with potato chips & fizzy drinks in hand. it is rather unfortunate this time that i have to follow the ballot box from the collection center, to the polling premises & finally to its counting center. it will be more than 16 hours of work which i can do without.

1. Please bring the following, crucial items to the polling center: your NRIC + POLLING CARD (that white card sent to you via snail mail).

there were previous incidences where folks forget/ lost their polling card, you will then be given an alternative accompanying document (on the spot) & redirected to an additional station before re-joining the main queue so don't complain if you are delayed. oh, please cut up the polling card as indicated & distribute them to your respective family members. we had people who didn't do so the last time round because they were afraid to 'tamper' with national documents... he he...
animal-smiley-4887.gif

2. No handphone/ electronic devices to be used once you join the queue. please remove earphones as well regardless if your music player is not in use or if they are for hands-free telephone conversation. i don't think the police need to instruct you to do so.

3. No pets/ children are to accompany voters/ allowed in the premises.

yes... we did have cases where people insisted they had no baby sitters at home while they go to the polls but they were there with their spouses... gee... how intelligent was that? if your doggies need to come with you, they are denied entry as well. tie them up at some distant lamp posts/ trees. don't ask if you can bring your pet hamster/ parrots/ cats/ pythons instead.

4. Bags or the likes will be subjected to inspection.

the aunties who drag their trollies to the polling station because they want to vote first before they do their morning marketing, will affirm this procedure. try NOT to bring bags... try.

5. Polling officers will attend to wheel-chair bound individuals/ folks in need.

please be informed that Polling Officers will attend to this need & family members CANNOT accompany them through the exercise.

6. Serial number on ballot paper

as depicted on TV, when Pierre Png was casting his vote, we can clearly see that his slip of paper had a serial number. EVERY GE Day, there will be people contesting this saying the authorities are tracking their votes so their votes are not secret any more. the primary reason for the numbers to be there is on account of authenticity- the papers without these numbers are unauthorized slips (ie. they were not issued by the GE dept & are considered non-authentic) & will be subjected to investigation.

i will try to address other queries here (if you have any) if they are not confidential, of course... happy voting, it only takes a while. but for those on duty, it takes forever... darn.
star-wars-smiley-5493.gif

Last edited:

6. Serial number on ballot paper

as depicted on TV, when Pierre Png was casting his vote, we can clearly see that his slip of paper had a serial number. EVERY GE Day, there will be people contesting this saying the authorities are tracking their votes so their votes are not secret any more. the primary reason for the numbers to be there is on account of authenticity- the papers wi...​

tks subversion for the timely reminder. *thumbs-up*

BTW, whats the secondary reason (if any)?
I'm one of those paranoid skeptics :p that believes votes are being tracked.
Even when I voted in the Lift Upg Prgm! Big brothers' watchin...​

hey subversion

I have a 9 month pregnant sister + 2 year old boy + 2 x 75 year old parents. Can i drive into the poll centre?

I have a 9 month pregnant sister + 2 year old boy + 2 x 75 year old parents. Can i drive into the poll centre?

you can drive in to alight your passengers but you can't park there. i would like to suggest you arrange for a meeting point after voting, this gives you time to return to your vehicle while they wait. also, since you are the most able in the group, you should baby-sit the 2-year old boy & let the rest cast their votes first. when they are done, then let them return you the favour. please alert the officers if your elderly family members cannot endure the regular queue (eg: can't stand too long), they will be given the wheelchair treatment/ given express queue.

tks subversion for the timely reminder. *thumbs-up*

BTW, whats the secondary reason (if any)?
I'm one of those paranoid skeptics :p that believes votes are being tracked.
Even when I voted in the Lift Upg Prgm! Big brothers' watchin...

during my army times, one Maj told us that no party will take the big risk just to track who never vote for them.
risks including reputation tarnished internationally.
subjected to other more serious issue such as election result revoked since certain rules are breached.
the party may be ejected as a whole for breaching election rules.

so vote without fear, no human is watching

Latest posts

Back