For all you fans of Fender Japan...

turtlemuscle - it costs a lot more. (if you get from the truly Offical channels)

i ever inquired about a Korean made Parker. The quote is basically so whooping I could get a Mexican strat were I to order online instead.

i do agree with your comments though... i've never gotten over the probs i got with an ebay-ed Washburn... but then again, it was discontinued...

turtlemuscle: I agree with you on the benefits from buying a guitar from a local dealer, but Fender Japan guitars aren't available here on a large scale as they are in Japan. And I heard that a lawsuit nearly arose from the sales of Fender Japan guitars.

Regarding overseas online stores, it depends where and who you buy from.

Thor666: Yup, I agree with you totally on this. Ebay sucks!

There is a way around dealing with Rakuten or Jap dealers who don't ship overseas. The best way that I can think of is to befriend a Jap expat who has family and friends back in Japan. This person must be trustworthy and honourable, and he must be able to get his family members/friends to buy the guitar and send it to S'pore. All costs must be paid by buyer. Simple, ain't it?

Hi jumbofret,

lawsuit? sound's interesting, do you know what was is about exactly?

hmm... i didn't know what it cost that much more in singapore. maybe i am just ignorant. gotta shop around more.

Yes... I heard that Luther was nearly sued by Swee Lee because he was selling Fender Japan guitars. You see this was affecting Swee Lee's sales for Fender and they were unhappy about it. But meanwhile, this is mere speculation, I hope someone can support this for me.

Me too... He's a very nice guy with good intentions for the local guitar community... I do wish he would get dealership for some of the great brands out there instead of resaling though... Always selling gd stuff and providing good advice, such ppl are really rare in the business.

actually, if i'm not wrong Fender Japan exists only to serve the Japanese market. Because of domestic trade laws in Japan protecting their domestic industries (making US fenders ridiculously expensive), plus the abundance of affordable and superior vintage Fender copies being made by the likes of Greco, Fernandes, ESP etc, Fender USA found it more profitable to set up a local company making affordable vintage reissues catering specifically to the Japanese market (whilst threatening to sue the ass off all the other imitation Fender producers). More detail here: http://www.guitarsjapan.com/fenderinfopage.html

Fender will probably sue anyone who tries to sell Fender Japan anywhere outside of Japan because the MIJ/CIJ fenders were not intended for overseas market at all - it would threaten their MIM products and even (IMHO) their US line because of the sheer value for money of the MIJ / CIJ stuff. I do believe Luther was threatened with a lawsuit, but its not just a Swee Lee thing (tho i can see how it benefits Swee Lee to pursue such an action), i think any Fender dealer in the world would do the same. Except in Japan of course, haha.

Yup, milkmesto. You're absolutely right. But there *IS* a way out... Although it's quite hard... haha

I want to find out as much as I can about Fender Japan guitars at Rakuten and other online guitar stores and try to help ppl here get them... I am in a very unique position to help out, but I am not promising anything now since nothing's confirmed. (I am not a dealer or some guy who works in the guitar line) :wink:

Back