Flatwound strings

I've had awesome results with thomastik infeld jazz flats on mine. tried the rotosounds but didn't really like them much. d'addario chromes are quite highly regarded in talkbass circles but i have yet to find them locally.

they're both quite different strings. they're not really subtitutes for one another. the ti is lower tension and adds midrange to your sound imo. i like it on my pbass because it lessens the 'hollow' aspect of a p bass and gets good thump without being too muddy.

not so sure about d'addarios but i've heard they're more similar to traditional flats with the higher tension and thump.

anyway if you find the d'addario chromes, let me know where you get them. i can't seem to find them anywhere in sg.

i think i saw a few at the last swee lee sale at sims.
yup, try sweelee tim1002. i'm pretty sure i saw it there as well.

i've only had 1 experience so far with flatwounds.. am using ernieball. first time i tried it.. man... feels damn weird. like i'm playing on plastic. but i've gotten used to it already, will probably try other brands when this one's dead. which i think will be a long time more. i'll report in again in a few years time.

shall check it out, though the last time i was there, i remembered seeing the chromes for guitar, not bass. My memory's ridiculous tho, *shrug*

kk, thanks for the input all!

i bought a set of daddario chromes from swee lee sims dr a few months back. just out of curiosity. in the end i didnt have any real need for them because i wasn't playing that kind of music.

however i did save the set. i can't use it on my jbass now, because i trimmed them to the 2+2 tuning machine config on my previous bass. the j bass as you know has all 4 tuning machines on the same side. so the g and b strings were too short to be reinstalled.

if you just want to try the feel, maybe you can meet me somewhere where i can sell them to you real cheap. probably just a token sum

i'm intending to install it on my pbass, so i guess the last 2 strings won't fit either.

But i appreciate the generous gesture shinobi! thanks

and yes, i'm getting it out of curiosity as well

when i first tried flats, i was so disappointed with the sound: dead, thumpy and felt like nylon to the fingers. major MEH.

until i discovered bob marley and the wailers, then motown...

yeah my first flats were TI flats. great sounding, can get the upright sound on a fretless. but i sold my purple G&L and it went along with it.

using old rounds now on my jazz, can also achieve the same sound as the flats when u cut the tone off.

my first experience were Fender flats.. it's still on my jazz -) I like'em.. it was a good cheap introduction to flats for me (i didnt wanna spend on TIs just yet)

flats and all that vintagy goodness -)

hey brian, what happens to the growly goodness of a j when you put flatwounds on them? the incubus dude gets nice tone out of his but i'm just wondering what it's like coming from someone who owns gear around my price levels :p

p/s: cherns, the closet section of your blogshop is outdated!

hey Tim,

you actually lose that growl quite a fair bit, but to save it from dredging into dubby mud, my tone is on 10, and i tweak the treble EQ to get just the right amount of bite

but fundamentally, its an all new tone, rather reminicent of James Jameson, or playing palm muted..

i can't get Ben Kenny's tone.. i think it's also how the band plays around him or how he plays around the band, but in most situations, i find my flats getting masked if my band mates have too much drive going on.

it works with my Leeson stuff, although i switched back to rounds on my P recently, more tonal variation

but if i want that nice Fleetwood Mac-ish thump, something more vintage-y or mellow, i'd still pick that Jazz up..

hope that helps -)

hi all,

i was just trying to purchase a set of flatwound 12s.
Walk almost the whole of peninsula (zen, davis, and two other shops).
Walk around bras basah (sweelee,guitar something,ranking).

All don't have... most don't even sell flatwounds at all...
Finally found a pair of 11s at zen guitar though.

Question 1 : Singapore don't sell these strings ?
Question 2 : Does that mean very little jazz/hollowbody guitar players around ? I was thinking of trying to find some fellow jazz muscians to learn more and jam around once I get my chops...

:)

the last time i went ebenex have. but that was more than a month ago

i guess .012's are not as popular as .45's

Latest posts

Back