feedback from bass or amp?

stars

hiya guys got some problems ...

i have a craftsman bass FJ-10 guitar and a Vox t-15 bass amp ... i have this kinda weird problem . c a jazz bass has two tone knobs ... when i turn e second tone knob on my amp will have this weird high pitch whining sound ... like the lousy mikes if u leave it on and never touch. when my vol and 1st tone knob is on its fine ... onli when the second tone knob is on then there is the whining sound

i reached three possible problems

(1) equaliser settings ?
(2) my amp ( i tried it at a jamming studio with a 65 w bass amp but no whining sound when 2nd tone knob is on ... going to checkout another jamming studio with it over e weekend to verify)
(3) my guitar ?

hahaha why u get craftsman damn problematic hahaha . Well most prob is your amp though i have a lousy gay craftsman well no such prob with any amp. Hmmmm could be amp lar

angeldogleslie said:
hahaha why u get craftsman damn problematic hahaha . Well most prob is your amp though i have a lousy gay craftsman well no such prob with any amp. Hmmmm could be amp lar

but both are like brand new le ?? how can like so fast both kaput ? Hmmz if amp is e case ... how is it responsible for a whining sound ?

Bring it back to shop quickly and ask the shop to check it out. Both are still new and the shop should look into it. Don't wait too long or else the shop will not be responsible for further damage.

It's probable that there is some loose connection, a disconnected wire or loose grounding within the wiring of the guitar in relation to that second tone knob.

To troubleshoot, ask your friend to plug in his electric guitar into your bass amp and check for that whining (feedback) sound. If there is no such sound, then your guitar is at fault.

If that is the case, then you'll need to re-solder the wiring. Get the shop to do it. If they should refuse, you can bring it to Mikemann Studios (Mike) to get it re-soldered. He does a good job for my guitars and it doesn't cost a bomb.

If your amp is at fault, Mike can also do a good job in fixing it at a decent cost should the shop refuse to fix it.

IMHO, for something that is so new that is causing problems, the shop should be doing something about it.

8)

BF109E said:
To troubleshoot, ask your friend to plug in his electric guitar into your bass amp and check for that whining (feedback) sound. If there is no such sound, then your guitar is at fault.

8)

will that tear e bass amp e speaker cone ?

Of course not.

You set the volume to a decent level like 3 or 4 on the amp and test it.
Turn the bass down and up the treble. On the electric guitar, turn the volume to 7 or 8 with tone to maximum.

The thing is to test it at different levels, from 1 to about 5 on the amp to see if there is a whining sound from the amp. You don't need to blast it to hear such sounds.

Use you initiative and do things slowly and step by step.

Thanks BF ... hmmz if there is e tone just take it back to e shop rite ?
cos its like brand new set ... neva opened then happy happy brought it home

how do i diagnose whether isit e bass 's fault ? test it with diff amps rite ?

BTW :p how to get to mikemann studios ?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think your bass should be 2 Volume and 1 tone control. The volume controls correspond to the top and bottom pickups, so you can blend the pickups.

The pickups sound different due to the different position, normally the bottom sound very muddy and you have to crank it up more than the top pickup.

Could be you max out the bottom pickup (middle control) and the amp feedback. Can happen if you playing bass facing your amp front directly.

Anyway, directions to my place can be found in my small webby:

www.geocities.com/mikemann88

Regards,
Mike
Mikemann Music Studio

stars said:
Thanks BF ... hmmz if there is e tone just take it back to e shop rite ?
cos its like brand new set ... neva opened then happy happy brought it home

how do i diagnose whether isit e bass 's fault ? test it with diff amps rite ?

BTW :p how to get to mikemann studios ?

You should test everything at the shop before you take it home. That way, you would not have this problem that you are facing with the guitar or amp.

Yes, don't wait any longer...take it back to the shop asap to address the problem as the equipment is brand new and less than a month old.

Bring your bass back to the shop too and test it there with their amps. If there's any fault, you can rectify it straight away with them. Quick! asap!

I believe Mike has posted his phone number and address before in some of the threads. His shop is at the Golden Wall flatted factory along Balestier Road. The flatted factory is about 12 storeys and located behind a BP service station along Balestier Road. I only know bus 145 goes there.

Mike's shop is inside the flatted factory and does not look like a guitar shop if you are looking for one. It looks just like any office but inside you'll find amps, guitars and many second hand PCs as well as a jamming studio.

But go back top the shop first before going to Mike...Quick! Asap!

:roll:

mikemann said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think your bass should be 2 Volume and 1 tone control. The volume controls correspond to the top and bottom pickups, so you can blend the pickups.

The pickups sound different due to the different position, normally the bottom sound very muddy and you have to crank it up more than the top pickup.

Could be you max out the bottom pickup (middle control) and the amp feedback. Can happen if you playing bass facing your amp front directly.

Anyway, directions to my place can be found in my small webby:

www.geocities.com/mikemann88

Regards,
Mike
Mikemann Music Studio

hmmz i m a noob so i m not too sure ... there is like one bigger knob ( volume ) and two smaller tone knobs i think ... e amp's sound is perfect when i adjust the knobs of my volume and first tone ... but on e second tone knob when i adjust it e whining sound is present ... damned weird ...

Yeah, sounds wierd. Just bring it to CityMusic first. they have a tech there I believe. They should help you check it out FOC since you bought it recently. Just call me if you need any service.

Regards,
Mike

mikemann said:
Yeah, sounds wierd. Just bring it to CityMusic first. they have a tech there I believe. They should help you check it out FOC since you bought it recently. Just call me if you need any service.

Regards,
Mike
now tt i recal ... when i tested it on e demo set at their shop ... never had the whining sound , same model bass and amp just tt when i buy i bought e brand new ones not e ones on display ... never occured to me to test em out of e box

Sounds suspiciously like single coil hum thingy to me. If its a jazz-style bass (two long slim kit-kat lookalike pickups), turning down one of the volume knobs will cause the bass to sqeual a bit. Turn up both volumes full it'll be humbucking, thus no squeal. But will still have a bit of hum/hiss/static depending on how clean your power socket ground is, and whether there are any sources of interference nearby the bass/amp/instrument cable eg like computer screen, ship engine, fluorescent light etc.

Back