Fake Strats

MrE

Hi anyone experienced or heard of fake fender strats? complete with fender decals and all? How to tell if a strat might be fake?

i bought a fake strat once, but I was lucky the dealer refunded me back the whole sum of money. bad experience. Strats are very easily mod-able and fakes are everywhere. I've seen a few so called "Fender Custom Shop" or "original" relic-ed guitars around, and realise they were just bullshit coz some minor details just gave them away. I shan't mention which shop, but I suggest when dealing with Strats or Teles, its best to check every detail, take out the neck to check the neck slot, the pickguard and check the body and wiring and pickups.

then the shop has no right 2 deal 2nd hand. and its quite bull shitty lor. the second hand shops like GC and G77 definitely will know if its a fake. unless its cash converters lah!!!

Damn, you were lucky to get refunded, repulse... was it in Singapore or overseas?

There's a guy selling a sunburst "fender strat" on yahoo auctions, but the curved "stratocaster" decal on the headstock looks abit misplaced.. i checked some online pics of older fender headstocks, even checked a fender book at the library. This curved decal is mostly on 70's strats right? The sharp notch at the headstock should be dead centre of the curved word "stratocaster", if i'm not wrong. And if it was a 70's version, the headstock should be the big one.

i'm not sure, any strat experts wanna give a second opinion? The seller says he doesn't noe where or when it was made. Sounds abit dodgy to me :roll:

Take a look guys
http://page.auctions.shopping.yahoo.com/sg/auction/88938811?aucview=0x13

tt one confirm scam one la. the headstock aint a fender strat headstock. Dun waste ur time with this fella. And ya ur right abt this decal thingy, usually u'll see this type of decals on big headstocks, not small

Thanks a bunch dudes, i had a funny feeling abt the headstock, but i thot maybe just the perspective of the photo. :?

Thumbs up to everyone who spotted it too 8)

My observation:

1) headstock looks funny, shape don't look exacting to a strat, but he took the pic at an angle

2) String tree, never knew fender used these kind of string tree. Also 2 instead of one normally

3) the machine head looks like low grade type, but at that angle cannot really tell

4) the headstock label is also funny, not conventional. curved text and the word stratocaster is in funny font size

5) the bridge looks like a copy bridge, fender used stamped metal as saddle normally, not cast block

6) stock is pearloid pickguard???

This is made in comparison of recent models. Any comments??

Should expose the bugger. Ask him to read the serial number from the head stock rear.

Cannot really judge unless see the actual guitar than can tell on the built and comment further. But the above suspects is enough to put it on a highly probable fake.

Heehee :lol: :lol: wait you see a Made In china stamped behind???!!! 8O 8O

That headstock looks weird.... Summore he selling for 500 and the bid all so low and all confirm he wanna make a quick buck .... Time to PM this asshole.

he "seems" credible enuf... judging from his positive sales indicator ...

could he have been conned by his frens ?

no way the neck could be 70s vintage ... the lacquer looks damned weird ... i got a vintage bass from 70s and the neck lacquer is like near tree trunk kinda colour

i'm not trying to cover up for the shops but i just don't wan to start rumours and conflicts. ALL I CAN SAY IS, you gotta be careful even in the reputable stores like G77 and GC, you may think they know their stuff well, but they themselves may be conned by the ppl who sold them the guitars or who knows, they could've assembled the fake strat themselves. I know you guys wana know which shop sold me the fake strat, but I think the shop has given me what i wanted, which is a refund, thats all i need, I don't need to start a publicity strife on it. main point is, BE VERY CAREFUL, even with reputable shops, esp. 2nd hand shops.

Well i did ask him where the guitar is made, how old it is etc, but he said not sure cos he got from his fren. Then i still felt suspicious so i asked him, is it authentic?

He said "cannot confirm" :roll:

what kinda answer is that man...

anyway careful, he's selling another guitar on the same auction. "Epiphone Les Paul Custom"... with only one vol and one tone knob, and pickup selector in the SG position. Haha, good luck to the ppl who kenna con by his "Fender".

Maybe it's ethical to drop those bidders a note to tell them it's fake? what do you all think? it's not too late... auction ends in 7 days

repulse87 said:
i'm not trying to cover up for the shops but i just don't wan to start rumours and conflicts. ALL I CAN SAY IS, you gotta be careful even in the reputable stores like G77 and GC, you may think they know their stuff well, but they themselves may be conned by the ppl who sold them the guitars or who knows, they could've assembled the fake strat themselves. I know you guys wana know which shop sold me the fake strat, but I think the shop has given me what i wanted, which is a refund, thats all i need, I don't need to start a publicity strife on it. main point is, BE VERY CAREFUL, even with reputable shops, esp. 2nd hand shops.

all be frank and i m not bashing shops

of all guitar shops , G77 has a pretty experienced shop dude in charge ( uncle dennis) who can properly recognise wads real or not ( i might be abit bias here) but i m sure with his years of experience in the business he knows his stuff. seriosully ... he can give a lot of advice and details about guitars of all ages.

if there is a "shop" to beware i would say its ash _ e i _ _ music ... somewhere in excelsior. he dosent really " cheat "but takes advatage of people not in the know.

e.g of claims tt could land him( ashXXXXX) in a small claims tribunal

1) my santa fe guitars are higher quality than most other recognized brands such as squier , ibanez
2) dont go for all the low -end models of other companies , they are usually made of poor quality wood
3) we manufacture our own gear as we own the factory ( this is a blatant lie)

come on people .

if there are people out there who needs to be blasted for their blatant cheating and conniving to make a quick buck out of the general public ...

dun hesistate . SPread the word . these culprits deserve to be publicly shamed.

as a forum is a venue for free speech , all statements made here are of a person's personal opinion and not aired in the public to attack , defame or malinger anyone .

in simple terms , you technically free from getting sued .

Latest posts

Back