Epiphone Zakk Wylde (Bull's Eye)

subversion

epiphone_zakk_wylde_lp.jpg

Epiphone Zakk Wylde Les Paul
List: $1,350

There is a sizeable pool of Gibson devotees everywhere (regardless if they own one) who look up to the Epiphone copies simply because the latter brand name was commissioned to propel Gibson’s distinction. Through personal experiences, we often note that many Epiphone solid body makes contain blatant inadequacies (intended or otherwise) which often demerit the manufacturer’s goodwill. This write-up isn’t about rallying Epiphone dissent, instead it attempts to address matters pertaining to a guitar’s forte/ deficiencies which constitute an appreciation process. Ready?

Construction/ fit/ finish
Gibson’s meticulous finish often leaves an auditioning shopper awe-struck due to its organic nature & sheer class. The Zakk Wylde LP in question suffers from a lackluster finish but in due fairness, it wasn’t meant to impress in this department considering the economic philosophy of the brand name. On a similar note, it is clear that the finishing process employs a masking method of sorts as there is a clear demarcation of finished & unfinished areas- if you don’t already know, this LP is one of the very few models to feature a bare neck rear. The issue here is the lack of meticulous completion; there are marks of sloppy lift-offs & smudges in the areas of the headstock & body-neck joint.

Nevertheless, the fittings, be it the woodwork or the hardware, are superb, less the input jack which is a little loose.

Playability/ tone
As stated above, the immediate difference between this LP & others in its family is the bare neck rear. This is definitely a bold departure from the Gibson tradition & a worthy playability enhancement, not being a cosmetic make over per se. It’s an open invitation for non-Epiphone fans to try out this guitar. As this model is an adaptation of a Gibson Custom, the neck profile remains substantially chunky in all registers. Fortunately, the jumbo frets here makes playing effective despite the early onset of lethargy (for most of us, not all).

Ardent Wylde fans will be upset to know that the twin humbuckers featured here are EMG’s passive models, the HZ (H4). The overall voicing predictably departs from the super raunchy tones of a typical active unit. Surprisingly, these are the very darlings of this guitar as they keep excessive top end responses in check while not sounding too generic. The HZ pickups deliver outgoing driven tones very well while manifesting more than adequate bottom end to appease bass-note peddlers out there. The guitar is then detuned intentionally to assess its darker, deeper voicings- it passes with merit.

The overall mass of this guitar is acceptable both sitting down & strapped on but inclines towards the hefty side. Despite the manufacturer’s specification of a mahogany body, it isn’t as massive as its Gibson counterpart, which leaves us wondering whether there is actually a mahagony material beneath that ‘bull’s eye’ finish. There are countless Epiphone LPs which feature alternative body wood types despite the catalogue’s claim of being preferably mahogany, but let’s give this guitar the benefit of the doubt.

Last say
Should you buy a Zakk Wylde guitar? No, you shouldn’t. If you do, you are satiating your personal adoration for the player, whose product association very much dictates the (excessive) price of this guitar. Considering that this guitar is a wholesome player, the correct proposal should be: Should you invest in this guitar?

This reviewer is of the opinion that it is a worthy investment & should be deemed a reputable guitar per se & not because it’s a good product by virtue of the endorser’s backing. Let’s hope that there will be subsequent Epiphone models that feature a maple neck like the one fitted to this LP. It’s contribution to tonal clarity is rather influential.

Buyers who wish for a faithful Epiphone recreation of a Gibson make should not despair with the compromises manifested by the former brand name; it’s primarily about cost cutting.

• Manageable overall mass
• Unfinished neck rear enhances playability
• Well-dressed frets

Dislikes:
• Finishing could have been better
• Not the smoothest knobs on offer

Rating: 8/ 10

looks cool...but i dint expect it to be so ex...how much the the real Gibson version of this btw? Swee Lee sells it?

wow..tt was spot on..

for once i felt luck was on my side. 8)

looks remain to be a commercial front- the manufacturer intends it to appeal to specific target groups, the reason some products are personally unappealing- doesn't mean they are duds.

many good guitars are dismissed as such- good playing/ tone but the looks os it is repulsive.

umm..i have that guitar...i got it from mtv after answering a quiz... its a epiphone les paul custom zakk wylde signature series, bullseye.
btw...that picture there is not real loh...i dunno y..but my guitar is not black and white..mine is black and yellow..i'm not sure how old my guitar is..got it from less than 1 year..but the gibson version at sweelee is also black and yellow one.. it is made in korea and has a sticker that says "100% inspeted and set-up by epiphone USA"...

bad things about this guitar

is it worth buying this guitar? i agree..its HELL NO!
this guitar is the same as the normal les paul custom that are available at most guitar shops, just that this one has EMG-HZ pickups..which is slightly better that the gibson usa pickups..in terms of metal playing of course.

it would be much better to buy a lespaul standard and upgrade the pickups at davis..into EMG-81 or 89..it would be cheaper and les paul standard has better playability.and EMG 81 is a better pickup than HZ, in terms of substain and sound penetration.

this guitar has this problem..the toggle knot...when u switch them..the guitar sound would suddenly lose all the distortion..or went muted...its not the 4 volume and tone switch problem..but its a common problem to most epiphone.. even archtops.. dunno how to fix this problem leh..haha..maybe u all can give me the solution.

the action of this guitar might be a bit different from a lespaul standard..lespaul standard is famous for ultra low action..also known as the fretless wonders or something.. but this guitar cannot lower the action too much...if not the buzzing sound will start coming out from the amp..so this guitar's action will be higher than standard..which truly is a disappointment..

tarnish! super easy to get tarnished..the bridge is a good example..i see already i heartpain..i got polish it with the orange colour bottle, gibson one,available at sweelee..around 6 dollars i think..but tarnishing cannot be removed or totally stopped..haaiii....

2hand tapping..
just like other lespaul...cannot do 2 hand tap.. but lucky i got a fender squiet..that one can do..haha..the steve vai's building the church intro...les paul cannot do it man..the sound cannot project..

the looks of this guitar...i would say it looks doesn't look that cool..haha..i prefer the les paul standard..with the "tiger stripes"..haha..

other people's wife always look better than your own wife!hahaha...

the things i like about this guitar...

if u go to a concert with this guitar..it would be damn bloody cool..the looks of it will attract everyone's attention..

PICKUPS!
the extremely raw sound that u get when u play heavy metal songs like children of bodom or arch enemy..

the harmonics is the thing i love man..i'm the type that love to do technical running then end off with a pinch harmonics..haha..some guitars just cannot do it..but this guitar works very well..long substain of the note..

so basically..its the EMG-HZ pickups that keeps me playing this guitar..if not..its quite boring to play..

those metal players that like the things i like...this guitar can deliver the sound u need to blast a concert..but the price is not worth it.. do the customising thing i said earlier..about putting EMG-81 into lespaul standard..better sound penetration and better price..

the active pickups, regardless of the guitar they are in, would tend to propel the inherent preamp character than manifest the guitar's acoustics per se. i wouldn't say there's a 'best' guitar for actives to be in, it's more about feel & sustain more than the wood generics.

I own the Epiphone version. I have got the EMG HZ pickups upgraded to EMG 81 and 85. It is a killer!! The only problem with this axe is it is not well-balanced when you sling it.

Upgraded it for around $300++ for (two pickups) some years back. The difference between EMG HZ and that of 81/85 is the latter delivers a richer output and a more distinguished pinch harmonics.

I have a 99' Gibson Standard Les Paul as well. Apparently, my Gibson doesn't give me this neck dive problem unlike my Epiphone Zakk Wylde.

I think Gibsons are a bit heavier than Epiphones. This might be due to the difference in the wood.

i have this guitar but not the yellow black model.. mine is the camo 1.. man i was really put off by the paint job so i nvr really gave it a shot... untill some1 (literally) put it in my hands... i couldnt put it down... frm the neck and the fretboard all the way to the pups.... seriously.... zakk wylde really knwos how to make a great guitar.... only have 1 complaint though... even though it helps wit the overall tone of the guitar, the neck is really wide n playing fast technical riffs really wears out the freting hand.... and do get a nice comfy strap cuz goin 1 hour wit this thing for a gig WILL kill your shoulder... i use levy n have gotten used to the weight.. all in all a LOVELY guitar... gonna upgrade the pups to actives soon....

yo...
i got tis guitar but nt wif the EMG pups.
changed to bridge: seymour duncan sh4 and neck: seymour duncan sh2N
the tone i like
and changed to grover locking tuners

wat i like:
1) the tone. it just give me a nice clean jazzy tone (neck) the pup just blends well wif the guitar. neck pup wif my krank juz gave me a heavy chuga2
2) design (ok ok i fell in love wif the bullseye when 1st time watch Zakk)
3) the neck, fretboard. suits my fingers well

wat i dun like:
the volume and tone knobs.
guess have to send servicing, a little too loose for my taste

but overall, i'm still loving it

wyldeboon i think you are rather funny.cant imagine someone play jazz with the zakk wylde guitar.just imagine eric clapton uses that to play "wonderful tonight".seroiusly,are you joking?

Back