drumskins

kahuna

does it make a diffrence if i use the stock skins they gave for my tama swingstar and the remo ebony pinstripe and ambassador coated

hi kahuna i'm not here to reply to ur question but instead to ask u some questions :D
i'm planning to get a swingstar and wish to ask u how good swingstar is.
or is there something not up to a standard?
haha thanks. :D

first of all i'm new here and i'll just like to share my view. i'm working for Swee Lee in the warehouse department and from what i know there is no swingstar in stock. i suggest you get a Pearl Forum and really tune it. A tuned forum should be enough if you're just starting and as you progress on. A Pearl Master will do

the swing star is not bad i like it alot equal to a forum $100 cheaper with that $100 can spend on cymbals,the toms can position better

mels said:
first of all i'm new here and i'll just like to share my view. i'm working for Swee Lee in the warehouse department and from what i know there is no swingstar in stock. i suggest you get a Pearl Forum and really tune it. A tuned forum should be enough if you're just starting and as you progress on. A Pearl Master will do

a pearl master will do?...unless u guys brought in the reference series or something, then what wont the pearl master do? its already one of the best drums u guyz have. not to mention 1000s more expensive.

sorry jux gotta say it.
cheers and welcome to soft.

PS: maybe u typo master for forum. :lol:

kahuna said:
does it make a diffrence if i use the stock skins they gave for my tama swingstar and the remo ebony pinstripe and ambassador coated

yeap there is a difference.

im guessing the stock skins are 1 plies self made by tama.

the pinstripes got that ring thingy which kills abit of the higher overtones.not to mention its already ebony...so that head is gonna produce a very dark sound.

try to experiment the various types of drumheads that is available on the market. Read reviews from the manufacturer themselves or fellow softies and other forums. Go to remo or evans websites to read their product range for drumheads.

yea i would say get the forum instead of the tama.For a begginers kit i would say forum hands down.

kahuna said:

Hi Kahuna, from my experiences, for Tama Swingstar and other beginner/student model sets like Pearl Forum, Tama Stagestar, Yamaha Stage Custom etc, their shell are mahogany plies which naturally produce low and dry tone. In my opinion, the best is to get single-ply head on your toms and kick(Remo Ambassador or Evans G1) to get prominent attacking tone(highs). If you put on double-ply skins like Pinstripe/G2, it'll sound abit muddy. Anyways, it's better for you to try different skins to suit your taste :D

hey ahpek...can you like post a thread on how u tune drums...then maybe we get James to sticky it?

alot of people asking for tuning stuff...(me too)...

-----------------------------------

U said 1 plies for stagestar...im getting too much of the higher overtone...rings well but got that high HIGH overtone...was thinking of putting pinstripes/G2s...

PS: my tuning skills are crab so maybe thatt explains it... :D

Cheers... :D

PSS: please refrain from referring to drum tuning bible...i just cant uderstand it :(

edd said:
hi kahuna i'm not here to reply to ur question but instead to ask u some questions :D
i'm planning to get a swingstar and wish to ask u how good swingstar is.
or is there something not up to a standard?
haha thanks. :D

Bro, u got enuff cash for a superstar? Coz if you have, then place your bet on a Superstar.... I myself owns a swingstar and it has serve me well... Heard from ppl all over about how good a superstar is but if u're on a budget, then the swingstar is a kit good enuff for a gig I'd say... If u're into rock, then the swingstar is just the right kit due to its boombastic resonance... It offers a powerful feel which is the key feature of this kit. 1 drawback is the cymbals it comes with sucks. Upgrade to an Istanbul... And yeah, u can change the tom heads to a better one.... I use Remo, not bad... But, if u're into recording, then get a more high-end kit. Other than the above points which I've mentioned, get ready to fly with a Tama Swingstar~~~ :twisted:

Frummer said:
hey ahpek...can you like post a thread on how u tune drums...then maybe we get James to sticky it?

alot of people asking for tuning stuff...(me too)...

-----------------------------------

U said 1 plies for stagestar...im getting too much of the higher overtone...rings well but got that high HIGH overtone...was thinking of putting pinstripes/G2s...

PS: my tuning skills are crab so maybe thatt explains it... :D

Cheers... :D

PSS: please refrain from referring to drum tuning bible...i just cant uderstand it :(

Yo frummer, yep, i understand your situation. For me, i'm speaking more on the live performance set up with bands. Different from home set-up where most of the time practice/play alone.
Tell you what, i'll demo on our next jam-xchange, that's a promise :D I dunno how to put into writing. Maybe you could post after i showed you how..

hey Yoshiki! :D thanks so much for ur advices. i'm stil pondering on what to get, tama swingstar, pearl forum or pearl forum. budget wise u see? :D

and for cymbals, was thinking of either zildjian zxt or istanbul samatyas :?

edd said:
hey Yoshiki! :D thanks so much for ur advices. i'm stil pondering on what to get, tama swingstar, pearl forum or pearl forum. budget wise u see? :D

and for cymbals, was thinking of either zildjian zxt or istanbul samatyas :?

hey...SAMATYAS dont get the ZXTs...really...i'll have a whole arming supporting me on this 1...( or maybe not )...

the zxt trashformer is one heck of a cymbal tho.. i just got it and i kicks.. haha. ive tried the normal crashes and rides from zxt.. and yea i can understand ur concern, kinda sounds very ordinary. but its quite nice.. not like its some crap scrap metal. :lol:

Never buy the zbt, zxt, zht from zildjian. You will be better off saving a bit more many to buy good quality cymbals like the A's and K's. They will serve you much longer.

Latest posts

Back