distortion and overdrive stompboxes

brundisium said:
this kind of questions have been posted over, over, over and over again. Doing a search will find lots of info...

if there's nothing wrong in asking, most probably there is also nothing wrong in being sacastic, just like nothing wrong to say, do a search before asking goes a long way!!!

i told u, the search function IS not working. why dont u try doing a search. yeah man, please stop the sacrasm if u are not helping me.

Hi whitebrokenriff,

Maybe I'll share with you 2 of my dist & overdrive buddies - Boss DS-1 & Ibanez TS-7 respectively.

For the DS-1, it sound quite respectable for a distortion pedal. To me, it's kinda thin & don't really cut thru during solo, so I most prob gonna send it for mod (that's my personal take).

As for my Pandan cake-lookalike TS-7, it provides a much fuller & warmer tone for an overdrive pedal (btw, i used the "hot" switch) & i can chunk up a lotta power/barre chords with this mini pedal.

Also, you can combine em' & use it for a much hotter output with high gain, but I shall leave the experts to advise you further.

alright i see.. how about ts-9? how is it different from ts-7? well, i dont mind getting something that can do ac/dc, guns n roses, van halen etc

as for the difference, i do not know.

but 1 thing is for sure, i'd prefer using a dist/overdrive strai8 frm a marshall/mesa tube amp over these lil mini gadgets i haf anyday!!

I believe the TS9 gives more intense distortion than the TS7. I'm not too familiar with the TS specs, but i read somewhere that the Jekyll and Hyde has a TS9 chip in the Hyde section? And the Hyde has awesome gain.

MrE said:
I believe the TS9 gives more intense distortion than the TS7. I'm not too familiar with the TS specs, but i read somewhere that the Jekyll and Hyde has a TS9 chip in the Hyde section? And the Hyde has awesome gain.

no kidding MrE?? i'm not too sure about that, but i prefer the old jh any time over the new ones, its got a way more gain and its a lot fuller and warmer sounding than the new red ones... the red ones IMO sound a lil bit on the thin side...

not the ts9... ts808, actually. but we all know how a good tubescreamer sounds anyway, so... :roll:

whitebrokenriff said:
alright i see.. how about ts-9? how is it different from ts-7? well, i dont mind getting something that can do ac/dc, guns n roses, van halen etc

you might want to get another pedal for that purpose.

TS9 is a very mild overdrive (but I like it that way nonetheless), very bluesy sound. Pair it with Fender Deluxe Reverb, it sounds so good that you can play blues all day long and forget about sex, hehehe.

But I can't imagine you play ac/dc, GnR and van halen with that pedal though. You'll need a heavier distortion.

well, RazrAsh, to be frank i've not tried the old J&H, so i cant say it's better than the old one, but i like the red one for the "bass boost" and "sharp/blunt' switch.

and of course, the colour :twisted:

superficial me.

but i think that a pedal's cosmetic appearance does affect to some extent its popularity (i said some extent, pls note... don't start flaming me for being a shallow gear collector)

:wink:

yeah.. i'm using the red one now anyway, the grey one was my friends one.. but yes, definitely love the sharp blunt switch and the bass boost on/off switch.. uber cool! :D

edo83 said:
detroit: how much for an amp to recreate the same tone from GT2, and to be used outside for gigs? Not that it's stellar like a Fender Bassman or Soldano SLO, but go figure.

For $270 i suppose it's the price now, what amps would you get? No harsh feelings bro, just try not to digress like that.

white: my suggestions to you would be to go try the Digitech Bad Monkey, VS J&H.....the TS9 alone cant cover that much ground from the tones of guitarists you'd mentioned though. Hope that helps

I understand what you're saying dude ... I mean, cause some people may be using really cheap amps, which may be the problem. 270 can't get you much of an amp, but it can still be better than a 90 dollar samick amp etc ... But then again, a pedal can help you in gigs and jams, and even be used with your current 15 watt to help improve it .. So i guess it really depends on the situation you're in ... I'm getting a pedal myself, just not a GT2 cause it's really out of my budget, i'm just looking for a cheap overdrive pedal ...

Distortion is created by a pedal. Overdrive is when, in the old days, blues guys would turn up their amps enough for the speakers to hit a natural overdrive, creating the first "distorted" sounds ever (since the amps back then didn't have it, as the soundw as unheard of). So the pedals now adays will try to recreate one of those sounds. Distortion, to my ears, is more ..'saturated'.

Get the badmonkey, its super warm and creamy, fattens up your RG tone, without compromising on the trebles. Its also cheaper

Latest posts

Back