Concert review ? Mr Big

christoh

sml-band-MR-BIG-039.jpg

I HAVE a confession to make: Your Abang was sceptical of Mr Big’s concert at Fort Canning Park on Sunday. Oh yes,loveI know that as musicians bassist Billy Sheehan, guitarist Paul Gilbert and drummer Pat Torpey all extraordinarily gifted players, but nothing short of stunning would sway me.

Plus, Fort Canning is always unpredictable. Sometimes the sound is good, othertimes it’s crap. Similarly, the lighting is in equal parts great and grotty. And Mr Big didn’t have anything new on offer – this would be a nostalgia show like how – dare we say it – Air Supply concerts are nostalgia shows.

The stage setup – the barest minimum requirement, it seemed – didn’t assuage my doubt. But then, the band came on and as the Black Eyed Peas would say, I had a feeling that the night was going to be a good night. Here’s why:

love

Reason #1: The band.

sml-billy-and-Eric-MR-BIG-015-300x237.jpg
Billy and Paul drill home the message

I’m talking about duelling guitar and bass solos – at one point with drills, at another, with doubled-necked instruments – and great harmony singing,loveand the fact that the band looked like they were really enjoying themselveslovemore than made up forloveany lack in the staging.

love

Reason #2: The crowd.

sml-paul-MR-BIG-023-200x300.jpg
Paul Gilbert strikes a pose

Speaking of crowd, it seemed like more than half of those present couldn’t have been more than 10 years oldlovewhen Mr Big first burst on thelovescene back in 1988. But they gave as good as they got, responding to singer Eric Martin’s calls on cue.

love

Reason #3: Mr Big’s ability to surprise. love

sml-billy-MR-BIG-007-300x240.jpg
Billy Sheehan strikes a pose

Frankly, I get a little bored by long guitar, bass and drum solos. But Their version of the song It’s For You, that old John Lennon and Paul McCartney number, first given to Cilla Black in 1964, then borrowed by Three Dog Night in 1970, copied by Mr Big in 2009, with Sheehan, Gilbert and Torpey doing the three-part harmonies brilliantly. Thanks guys, definitely the highlight of the night.love

love

Reason #4: To Be With You.

sml-pat-MR-BIG-016-300x228.jpg
Pat Torpey strikes a pose – actually no, he’s just looking at the lights

Even though I can’t listen to this song now without thinking of Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band byloveTheloveBeatleslove(thanks for that insight, Billy), and even though I’ve heard that song mauled to death at karaoke clubs, the liveloveversion was pure and simple and it worked.

love

Reason #5: Mr Big keep their promises.

sml-eric-MR-BIG-017-200x300.jpg
Eric Martin definitely striking a pose

When I spoke to Billy, he said that the show would have great music, that it would a great singalong and that everybody would have a good time. Guess what, we did.

What can I say: Went there a sceptic, went home a believer. Anyway, here are more pictures, hope you enjoy them as much as I enjoyed taking them.

sml-paul-MR-BIG-013.jpg
Now we know why Paul always needs to wear ear mufflers

sml-eric-MR-BIG-0321.jpg
“Hands up all those who want another song”

sml-billy-pat-eric-MR-BIG-005.jpg
M&Ms mysteriously appeared over Eric’s head the moment Billy started singing

More...

did they do this trick..
i saw a vid....
paul gib use this drill and pick his guitar strings damn fast..

^ That's part of " Daddy, Brother, Lover, Little boy (The Electric Drill Song)"

Chris> It was nice meeting you!

Back