Cheapest + easiest way to record myself?

cool-beans

I'm trying to record myself playing the bass but I'm not sure how to get started. My main aim for doing this is to record my own practice and do some review after that. It's mainly for personal use, so I do not need perfect quality.

Is it possible for me to just get a 1/4 inch to 1/8 inch adapter and plug my bass into my Mac through that? Or must I buy some DI or whatever equipment in order to record?

I'm using a Macbook and I have Garageband, if that info helps.

Well, it IS possible to record from bass>amp>mac.

1) Connect bass>amp using 1/4 inch

2) Amp output>mac's mic input using a converter, depending on your amp's output jack size.

3) You gotta change the input settings in "System Preferences" to "Line in".

MadWerewolfBoy : recording is so funnily addictive, it's like first we dont want to spend a single cent, then later we want to spend minimal but expecting pro results, then later we spend nonstop for the ultimate. and we end up a shitload of gear that keeps dust.

cool-beans : like what kerplunk182 has said, in this case,suggested using the amp + headphone output or line out as a "preamp". go ahead try without preamp first, then see if your mac's inbuilt gain can do anything good before you seek something to boost.

I've got a head with inbuilt preamp and Direct out interface.. So I suppose all I need now is a cable that goes from the XLR to my Mac's audio input jack?

if your preamp's "direct out interface" is XLR. then yes you need an XLR male > 1/4jack male > 1/4to1/8 converter jack male converter > mac audio input.

1) http://tinyurl.com/diyrecording

2) Bass > 1/4inch cable > genzbenz preamp > HEADPHONES OUT > 1/4inch jack to 1/8earphone jack adapter > mac input.

recommended instead of using the XLR out because you don't have an AUDIO INTERFACE with XLR input.

3) nope to have a firewire input/output is an audio interface.
usb/firewire audio interfaces carry computer data. XLR/1/4inch jack carry "audio signals" . totally different.

4) in future when you get an audio interface it would be :
Bass > 1/4inch cable > genzbenz preamp > XLR out > XLR cable > XLR input > audio interface > firewire or USB > mac.

Zoom H2 maybe an option for you, not very cheap but the audio quality you can get is quite decent. It can double as an audio interface too. But you may have to bow down everytime you press record though, as you'll need to position it in front of your amp, and you amp is on the floor. I am using it for acoustic guitar recording and songs idea, and it did a great job.

I would suggest you to record yourself in higher audio quality, it helps boosting your confidence too.

ImNotFish : I think Zoom H4n would be more ideal, because he's got a pretty nice bass preamp! and will be able to utilize the XLR output hehe

ImNotFish : I think Zoom H4n would be more ideal, because he's got a pretty nice bass preamp! and will be able to utilize the XLR output hehe

You're right, H4n would be a better choice :)
I recommend Zoom H2 because its cheaper, and I am using it XD
Thought of getting H4n before for its XLR output and multitrack capability. but since I don't use (don't know how to actually) the other additional functions, and budget constraint, I got myself a H2.

Back