Care to share the things we need to have for Home recording studio?

IntrOutro_19

Hi there peeps!!

Im wondering what do i need to have for home recording studio?? For now, i have a Macbook pro, an interface, condenser mic, pop filter. Im using Logic to record and edit. What else do you think i need??

Give me your thoughts and share experience. Currently transforming my room into a recording studio. =)

Blueprintstudios: Bro, u really know your stuffs man. Thanks for the info. So bro, dun mind me asking, what are the things i need now to complete my diystudio?? From your experience, i need your advise coz im not too sure what should i buy first. What are the important things that i need most to kick start???

This is what i have now:
-interface
-Mac Logic
-Condenser Mic

Need some guidance. Thank man for sharing.

introutro : thanks for the compliments. just sharing after all i was once where you were.. nong nong time ago.

what audio interface do you have?
and what condenser mic?
what do you plan to record? (just acoustic? etc)
do you have your own drumset?
what do you aim to achieve from your recording?
do you plan to record just your own personal or for others?
how much is your budget?

-Interface: Zoom USB S2t
-Condenser Mic: Behringer C-1 Cardioid

-I plan to record more than just acoustic.
-I dun have my own drumset. Room too small. Haha. I've been using the software to create it. Heee
-I aim to get a good quality studio recording sound which is good enuf to make demos.
-I plan to record not only just me, also bands, singers etc.

- Maybe about $1k?? I'm not sure. All i know is that when i need to buy that thing(eg. its $1k++), then i'll just save up and buy it. But i plan to do this studio of mine just on a low budget. Don't want to buy too expensive stuffs. Just to get the things i need on a lowest price possible.

-"good quality studio recording sound which is good enuf to make demos." btw you don't sound very ambitious in this line hehe almost contradicting because the term demos usually targets at a "low-end" sound.

$1K range is decent, but I'd like to just share with you that, the idea for google/research/checking reviews etc is so that you don't just blindly save up for something and splurge it because there's always something new / more cost effective for your situation. so you already have a large diaphragm mic. get a few more necessities for mixing (if your room is too small, I'd just recommend headphones then. I personally only use Audio Technica ATHM30s. $60+/- @ hungbros simlimsquare) , a few SM57s for high soundpressurelevel sound recording like snares/percussions/guitar cabs (then again you already have a zoom usb s2t, don't need to mic the cab)

do you intend to just program drums all the way? or actually learn to mikeup record actual drumset? if not, then you pretty much almost have everything you require already for a basic setup.

moderator : could someone move this thread to the relevant?

Hahaha. Yea i think the way i put it is not that ambitious coz i dun wanna buy all the stuffs and stress up. So just need the basics first and mayb in the future, i could upgrade.

I do wanna buy a drumset but I'm living in flat and i actually need the whole room to be soundproof. I'd love to record actual drumset but bcoz of the space im having now is too small.

Anyway bro, u have a studio right??

introutro : it's not practical to soundproof your room cos it's gonna cost loads anyway.

nope i don't have a studio. I do location recording. drums usually I do at the drummer's house if they have one , or their friends, or at jamming studios. then bring home and mix/master.

but I do have an e-drumset that doubles as a dust collecting equipment at the same time haha..

Hahahahahaha!!! Y never use ur e-drumset to record instead of using the real drumset?? Anyway, how to record drums?? It requires a few mics right??

Optional outboards... They don't have to be the best but will certainly make a difference.

- Compressor/Limiter to tame your recordings
- Mic Pres to compliment your mic and give your instruments and voices their colour or character
- Simple 4-8 channel mixer for summing
- "Opened back" mixing headphones
- "Closed back" tracking headphones
- Near-Field monitors

What are the thing you wanna do?
I mean do you encounter thing that you can do but lack of software or equipment....
It is easier to suggest what to do.

Back