CAD M179 or Oktava Mk-012

qwerty2292

Hi guys,

First thread for me, so be nice! haha.

Anyways, I'm thinking of getting a pair of mics for general purpose use, but mainly acoustic purposes (guitar, group vocals) A great plus if they work well in miking an upright piano (personal experience welcome!) I am aware that one's a LDC and the other a SDC, but when reading reviews, they seem to have overlapping uses.

Just to clarify things, if I'm getting the M179, it's two M179s, and if the MK-012, the MK-012 MSP2 set. Both are about the same price ($600 plus).

The problem: Both mics seem to have very good reviews in their own right.

CAD M179:
+ve variable pickup patterns, + slightyslightly cheaper, + probably would fair better on vocals,
-ve my friend tells me it's expensive in Singapore (comparing to overseas prices), so not worth it buying it locally

Oktava Mk-012:
+ve can change the capsules, + can be modded in the future
-ve capsules cost more $$. LOL
Maybe, could someone tell me if the modded ones are worth the extra $$, or which capsules would be a good buy? (thinking of adding the omni and the fig8 patterns to the cardioid one)

I don't know, seems to be a stalemate for me between the two, but I'm leaning towards the Mk-012s simply because I have LDCs within reach (eg. friends). Opinions anyone?

Thanks.

On CAD M179 seem to be more linear than Oktava Mk-102 on spec. I work on lower model GXL 300. Ok for most of the work.
If you wanna mod(on electronics) than go for Oktava. Note pencil mic is good for capturing overall sound(easier to do A-B,X-Y...configuration kind of capturing), and large diaphragm good at up close( but take note SPL of the mic can handle).

Hello, you could try Superlux S241s ordered from the US. They are really cheap and good. I believe its US$135 each, so a pair goes for less than USD 300. With the exchange rate so weak now it is even cheaper.

Each one also comes with a carrying case, pop filter and shock mount.

On other forums some people say this a value for money "sm81 killer".

I have made a recording of a string quartet using these mics, so you can check out how it sounds here: http://www.nicksmusicbox.com/?p=24

This was recorded using ORTF.

Slight bass boost has been applied.

Hey, thanks a bunch. Ya, i think I'll be wanting the versatility of the pencil mics, so I should be going for the Oktavas. Headed over to Hung Brothers the other day, they were really quite helpful

Hmm, yup okay, I'll have a look at the S241s. The recording sounds good though, just a bit dry, but I suppose that's not that easy to fix. I'm a violinist myself with experience recording it and I know the tones of the strings are not easy to capture well. Thanks!

Oktava Mk-012 will better cos, it allow you to change capsule. For larger setting, I used do to A-B micing with omni.

Back