Booster

GuitarNoob

Hey, I was wondering, how do you use distortion pedals as boosters, before or after amp distortion, how much gain on the pedal and the amp etc, would like to learn more 8)

Distortion pedals as boosters? Thats like adding an extra gain stage... a pure booster is something that boosts volume. Throwing a distortion pedal before a distorted amp only adds more gain, not so much on volume.

So as an gain booster... its usually used before amp so its guitar to booster to amp.

Usually, the pedal is set with little distortion, but lots of level. Then tweak your amp's gain appropriately...

The mistake most newbies make is that they throw max distortion on pedal, and max gain on amp... get lots of noise, then say that the pedal and amp are horrible things.

Its always, minimal pedal gain and max pedal volume/level. Then don't set the amp's gain too high,... tweak around to find an acceptable gain level with minimal noise.

So you would prob have something like a crunch to chugga chugga mode with the distortion pedal as a booster. Or a rhythm to a lead mode... although, unless you are the only guitarist, you wouldn't be able to cut thru much without some help from a vol boost or major tone altering...

Hope that helps.

GuitarNoob said:
Hey, I was wondering, how do you use distortion pedals as boosters, before or after amp distortion, how much gain on the pedal and the amp etc, would like to learn more 8)

quite hard to put the amp dist before the pedal, unless you have 2 input and a line selector ~

Wat's ur setup ?

sometimes i put my sd-1 before my wah, to boost wah presence when using high gain. Got dat kinda ... "quacking" sound... jimi hendrix (although he puts a fuzz 1st) kinda thing.
But u'll notice wah sound not very clear with distortion after, this overdrive boost before the wah ... "amplifies" the wah ... SHIOK ~!

Yeah, thanks Shredcrow, now I can use my Ds-1 as booster and not have noise coming out frm my amp =). What abt delay? Should I put it b4 the amp or thru the efx loop?

Latest posts

Back