Body wood

from what i heard from my friend who has a guitar made by jeffrey yong, jeffrey said that it's all about how you treat the wood. any wood, cheap or expensive, when treated correctly, can sound good. i remember seeing bamboo guitars. and zachary guitar has one that is made from ikea furniture!

Just something to note from my experience with building 2 custom instruments with Jeff Yong. He provides some really expensive "exotic" timber to some really high end acoustic guitar builders in the US. These "exotic" wood include Monkeypod and Amboyna. You know what's the local name for these woods? Monkeypod = Rain Tree & Amboyna = Angsana.

And his source of these woods? Not from some special rainforest, but downed trees from the road side which he bought from the guys maintaining them. Same trees that line our roads in Singapore. These angsana and rain tree wood sell for more than your big leaf maple, etc in most instances too.

Also, highly prized macassar ebony? That's from Indonesia mostly, and Malaysia too.

I do give Jeff credit for being experimental. really! at least he can convince us by building such good guitars. The process of building a guitar is tough but experimenting with tonewoods that have never been used before is really taking a huge risk. Lots of people these days are extremely anal with regards to specifications.

For average consumers, we'd all be like "eeeee, you sure or not?" . I guess it's all a matter of impression? Time might change a person's view on things though.

Anyway, people don't often succeed the first time. But if you keep trying and learning from your mistakes, you'll eventually succeed.

On the US wood thing... For PRS, they usually use African Mahogany, Brazilian or Indian Rosewood soo... they're not from US are they?

Alright, point noted. Well that is true but IMO, I don't see how hardware can alter the tone that much. To be fair in this "experiment", we have to find someone who owns an Epiphone with quite a bit of cash to upgrade all his hardware to match a Gibson. Of course when I'm referring to a fair experiment, the same pickups have to be used.

Why would it not alter tone much? An aluminum tune-o-matic bridge would sound different from a steel one. Both have different densities and would resonate differently. Consequently, the nut would be a factor as well. The bridge and the nuts are the strings point of contact with the guitar and how they resonate under vibration would determine what sort of sound that is produced.

i agree with dodgethis, i attempted this after my o levels too, and it was freaking hard. my dad has a workshop too, even scalloping the fretboard is freaking hard stuff

If you really want to make your own guitar and it's your first time, just remember that haste makes waste.

Just my 2 cents worth.

huh, talking about private wood stock for electrick guitar? o_O

wood for electric guitars affects the end sound we hear the least amongs all other acoustic instruments. with all variables the same, if you compare two guitars with same specs less the wood on a clean amp, one may be able to differentiate them due to the slight differences. but if you're not comparing electric guitars side by side on a clean channel, then i would say just go for anything you feel works, read the wood tone decription on warmoth, feel good about it, believe in it, go for it.

in actual fact, we might not even be able to tell the subtle differences between alder, ash and bass wood on a guitar fitted with high output pickups because of the pickup's strong tonal signatures. what we will be able to tell is the guitar's natural frequency and dead frequencies. natural frequencies will tend to sustain for very long, while dead frequencies will die off fast. it's hard to guess which wood has what kinda resonance because different trees have different resonating properties, even trees of the same kind in the same area.

Last edited:
ahahaha. you guys are really debating about this. but my reason of posting the thread is simple, knowing where is a good place or website to buy woods. again i said im an avid guitar player who has cash to spare, time to waste. but i wont spend it on the guitar. why? i already got a good guitar at hand. i just wanna expand my knowledge and know the hard work put into by guitar makers/luthiers. its like cars. yes you can buy a good sexy audi r8 or a ferrari but would you make your own car if you had the money and the time? something that YOU can personalise and be proud about at the end of the day. first attempt is always the hardest. but there is always a first time. so i'm not making it sound easy. other people can do it. why not we try it? they also failed before in order to succeed. thats my attitude on this project. sound crappy nevermind. as long i happy and proud of what i did okay alr! so thank you guys for the website and the type of woods to take in mind.

You call that negativity, I call it reality. People always think 'How hard can it be?' and it more than often turns out to be 'ambitious but rubbish'. People like to set false expectations when it comes to getting to their outcome and how easy it would be. And of course, reality gives them a swift kick in the nuts and they give up at the first sign of difficulty.

if you love what you do, you will not give up easily. like maths to me. i hate it so i suck at it. but 4 years of loving made me to a solid student at maths. i love the guitar. ever since the first day i touched it. so i wont give up so easily. its not the first sign of difficulty that a person fails. now the world revolves around money. no money we mati.

Back