Behringer Xenyx Analog mixer with Protools Le 8? help!

Davinea

Hello mates! I have a problem, or rather a confusion. I am trying to do some mixing for my tracks and for that i'm depending on a DAW software, Cubase SX3 and the problem is that it keeps crashing on me because its a crack version or it could be that the Vst plugins i've installed are not working properly. And i have already bought Behringer Xenyx 1622fx Analog console to record my guitar tracks and vocals etc. I should have invested on a Soundcard instead and i kinda regret getting it. Well since the main issue is about DAW software, i was thinking of getting Mbox 2 and use ProTools LE and from what i know, Mbox 2 is a pretty strong audio interface BUT if i were to purchase Mbox 2, i REALLY REALLY do not want my analog mixer to go to waste so somehow i wanna be able to hook it up with Mbox 2 and use it with Protools, although i have a clear understanding that there's no way i can use my mixer as a control surface for Protools because Protools needs dedicated hardwares.. so this thread is about how i can HOOK my xenyx analog mixer with Mbox 2 and use Protools, not as a control surface but maybe for more mix/line inputs.. I'm just researching so i'll really appreciate any advices from you guys! Cheers mates!

main out (L /R) go into the 2 input in mbox 2?

so that means u can control the instruments/vocal using the mixer (or get a good signal out of it..then you can mix later..)
but how good is the preamp /line in from the mixer. but ofcourse u can mix them later.

(for cubase part) look at part where it hang, it will hang at the (filename.dll) move that dll from the vst plugin folder and it should be working....

but do buy original.. you're making money out of something u stole.

main out (L /R) go into the 2 input in mbox 2?

so that means u can control the instruments/vocal using the mixer (or get a good signal out of it..then you can mix later..)
but how good is the preamp /line in from the mixer. but ofcourse u can mix them later.

(for cubase part) look at part where it hang, it will hang at the (filename.dll) move that dll from the vst plugin folder and it should be working....

but do buy original.. you're making money out of something u stole.

Thanks for your reply man! anyways, i could connect my mixer's main outs to mbox2 in, so if i were to do that, i'll be using the mixer as a medium to get all the mic/line inputs right? cause since mbox2 has 2 mic/line inputs ( i assume ), i can just plug say 2 guitar inputs, but if i do what you suggested, i'll be able to just use the mixer as a medium for all the mic/line inputs instead of using the inputs in mbox2? and yea, the preamps are pretty good man. Not the best but its good enough. As for the Cubase part, i'll try that! hopefully it works but i'm tired of using crack man, i rather get an orignal pack. that is why i'm considering Protools. Cheers mate!

I would strongly advise you to not use the mic preamps on your Behringer mixer if you want to get good signal-to-noise ratio when recording. You're better off going through the onboard preamps on the Mbox. Why add that extra layer of preamplification, if you know what I mean. It's better to keep your signal chain as short as possible to reduce signal degradation.

The only reason you would need to use your Behringer mixer is if you need to record more than 2 inputs simultaneously. You would then need to sub-mix all your inputs on the mixer and send it out via the main outputs. Even then it will only be a 2 track mix.

I guess my point is, don't use your Behringer mixer for the sake of using it. Use it when you really need to.

Dont' discount Behringer

Actually, I think the Xenyx is better than an MBox. I understand that Behringer had a bad rep years ago for producing low cost gear which were made in China that sucked but since then I think they've got their game in order, when they brought German quality control to the far east to combat this.

If anything, I remember reading somewhere that the Xenyx range was produced to give the Mackie Onyx a run for their money at a lower cost. In fact I think by looking at their specs, the Xenyx preamps are somewhat better than the Onxy and Mbox preamps with much lower noise floor. \Having used Xenyx pre's, I find them sounding really like the old Mackie VLZ pre's like in the Studio 8 buss mixers i.e. they don't hype your sound but rather gives a workhorse sound that's consistent, natural and rock steady. If what you record doesn't sound good, chances are your room and mics are the first culprits cause the Xenyx can definite work.

Well, it's possible that Behringer finally got their act in order with the new Xenyx series of mixers. After using some of the older Eurodesks, I swore never to touch Behringer mixers unless I absolutely have no other option.

I think the Mackie Onyx preamps are rather decent. I've recorded 16 channel multi-track audio using the firewire expansion card on the Onyx 1640.

Any idea what the the preamps on the Mbox are? Could they be Focusrite? I know Focusrite had some deal with Digidesign or something.

Yeah they used to be Focusrites in the first generation MBoxes based on the now defunct green range I think but since MBox2, digi stopped using them and I think incorporated their own pres.

Acrtually I like the idea of Mackie mixers going completely firewire becoming sort of a mega function audio interface. I think if I ever settle on a home set up that I can bring around an use at live shows also that would be it. But why on earth did they have to make the Onxy firewire interface an add on cost? Crap.

Ohhh those Eurodesks.... I remember hating them sooo badly... But Behringer did improve... Will Uli please offer me a job now heh.

Back