BC Rich: NT Warbeast

subversion

BC%20WARBEAST.jpg

BC Rich: Warbeast
List: $295

There is no other guitar manufacturer that has made prickly designed guitars more acceptable to the mainstream masses than BC Rich- don’t let others tell you different. If you are familiar with what this manufacturer has to offer, the Warlock design is a testimony of all things sinister, this side of the Flying-V. However, the guitar featured here isn’t the Warlock; it’s the later addition known to the world as the Warbeast.

Construction/ fit/ finish
The Warbeast isn’t exactly a fresh design in the BC Rich collection, as the name implies, it’s a hybrid of the Warlock & Beast models. The infusion here is merely the incorporation of the former’s lower body horns with the latter’s upper body horns (note the extended intrusions), neck & headstock outline.

As this guitar hails from the manufacturer’s NT series, it is aimed squarely at the entry-level angst-ridden players or the seasoned chaps with a mid-life urge to own a rebel-grade guitar. Whatever the reasons, do expect a top-of-the-line offering here. While the guitar in whole is well put together, there is a finish compromise- red stains were sighted over at the headstock’s flip-side & the neck-to-body bolt area. While this does not affect the instrument’s tonal performance, it shows how much care & concern it received over at the manufacturing plant. Nevertheless, unlike other dodgy, entry-level wares, there were no construction, fitting & electronics issue to render it a sheer misallocation of funds. The minor complaint here are the control knobs- these could have been smoother in operation.

Rating: 80%

Playability/ tone
If you have not cradled the Beast model in a sitting position, you’re not privy to how the upper body horns claw into your thigh due to its more extensive outline. As this Warbeast inherits the Beast’s upper half body design, such a caustic account is replicated here. The bass side upper body horn digs into your chest for the same reason so if you are not one to endure such a harrowing episode, steer clear of this guitar. Despite its thorny outline from head to toe, the guitar is not adverse to balance both in the sitting down & strapped on positions. The tuners over at the headstock has got to be 6 of the best economical units in use as they remain responsive & hold tuning rather well. This could also be due to the well-cut nut in part. In this light, the Warbeast is impressive.

Moving on to tone, the clean experience is rather bland. It seems that the plastic covers here have prevented a more inviting voicing in the upper frequencies. However, let’s not kid ourselves by believing that we should buy this guitar for its clean offerings. On the driven front, the pickups once again quelled some expectations pertaining to extreme responses; this pair sound very restrained even with the amp’s drive cranked to the max. Harmonics are suppressed & limited to intense pinching techniques.

Tone test equipment:
• Amp: Marshall Zakk Wylde MG15 MSII

Rating: 70%

Final say
For a guitar in this price bracket, we would reserve our expectations when quality is concerned but the Warbeast here isn’t a dud in this aspect. It’s worth the asking price for people who are out to prove their worth by holding a deviant design. Nevertheless, the Warbeast’s Achilles heel is its humbuckers; we’d expect at least a whopping dose of all-out distortion response, a restrained pair is really undeserving in this instrument. If you wish to embrace this guitar be sure to fortify your distortion’s performance with pedal enforcements because pickup swap for a guitar of this ilk isn’t a wise move in light of the cost involved (pickups + service charges would add up to about half of the list price…). If you can live with these short-comings, the Warbeast is a fantastic guitar for your extremist practices.

Final rating: 74%

Product availability:
• Davis GMC

• Overall construction
• Responsive tuners

Dislikes:
• Finish stains
• Restrained pickups (drive-wise)
• Stiff knobs

Worthy competitors:
• Ibanez : GRG121
• LTD: EX-50
• SX: Pirate PEG-3

Most agathis guitars I've tried are wayyy too light for their own good, thus sounding thin even when the bass and mids have been boosted via equalization..
That's just my opinion though!

it's most probably the pickups/ amps. light guitars can sound commanding in the lower frequencies, my hollow Ibanez AF105 can pull that off with a suitable amp.

B.C. Rich guitars are one of my favourites, currently holding on to two of them.

The Warbeast would sound like any other B.C. Rich in that range of prices. Cheap too. Dude, your review is really good. Very cool.

I just wonder when B.C. Rich is going to massively release their "Zombie". That guitar intrigues me. Just cause i love weird guitar shapes.

The Warbeast would sound like any other B.C. Rich in that range of prices. Cheap too. Dude, your review is really good. Very cool.

thanks for reading :cool:

the Warbeast here has a little different tonal voicing in comparison to the rest of its siblings in this price bracket namely attributable to the covered pickups- less 'sharp' sounding treble.

when it comes to musical instruments, fierce factor should be secondary, tone/ playability comes first. if you can have both in the asking price- better.

when it comes to musical instruments, fierce factor should be secondary, tone/ playability comes first. if you can have both in the asking price- better.

would it be economical to get this guitar...and install dimarzio tonezones for neck dimebuckers for the bridge?

In the extreme music business, it is undeniable that image plays a big factor. So a fierce-looking guitar that fits an artist's or band's image would be more important.

Corpse-painted or spike-wearing musicians with a Les Paul just don't cut it, image-wise, though. Hence, the Warbeast is spawned for them.

I feel that the Broad Dynamic Sonically Matched (BDSM) pickups that come with the Warbeast are not very nice. I'm thinking of replacing with EMG-81 for bridge and EMG-85 for neck, what are your views on this?

In the extreme music business, it is undeniable that image plays a big factor. So a fierce-looking guitar that fits an artist's or band's image would be more important.

Corpse-painted or spike-wearing musicians with a Les Paul just don't cut it, image-wise, though. Hence, the Warbeast is spawned for them.

Ahakz, gez u never seen Nergal (Behemoth) playing ESP Eclipse which the shape is the same as Gibson Les Paul...and it fitted him so well and he still look fierce

it's what works for the individual. Marduk's Morgan Harkansson plays a Fender Strat- a proof that any guitar would cut it if you intend it to:

morgan+marduk+1.jpg

would it be economical to get this guitar...and install dimarzio tonezones for neck dimebuckers for the bridge?

the cost of the DiMarzio pickups & the replacement service charge would cost you nearly as much as the guitar itself. however, if you can source some used DiMarzios, it would be good. also, do give this guitar a try because its body protrusions would not be everyone's cup of tea.

I feel that the Broad Dynamic Sonically Matched (BDSM) pickups that come with the Warbeast are not very nice. I'm thinking of replacing with EMG-81 for bridge and EMG-85 for neck, what are your views on this?

active pickups are domineering units, they would overpower the guitar's inherent nuances/ acoustics. if this is your intention, getting them would only serve you better.

uh... im kind of new to this guitar customizing stuff, can you explain in layman's terms please? i asked about the pickups cause i heard that EMGs were better than BDSM... that true?

i plan to use the guitar for overdrive, is installing the 81/85s better than the BDSM (default pickups installed) in that sense? you know, can't have a warbeast sounding too clean... destroys its image.

also you mentioned something about active/passive pickups, and inherent nuances/acoustics. would you please explain what are active and passive pickups, and inherent nuances/acoustics? sorry, i think this may fit into the Rookie Zone rather than Guitar Reviews... please move this if it is inappropriately placed.

once again thanks for trying to help me out.. really appreciated.

Latest posts

Back