AXL SRO Badwater Series

THOA

An attempt at a review. Never am much of a guitar player but this recent acquisition is a certainly an inspiration enough to warrant for one to be written, so here goes :p:

AS-820-WO_large.png

Axl SRO Badwater Series
List price: $230
Availability: Ranking, Music Theme

Not much is known about AXL guitars; a quick check on the net points to a brief article on Wikipedia, AXL's official website and countless of reviews. Even the list of artistes endorsing the product are far too few, and none of which are household names that can pull them out of the shadows of other well established guitars brand.

With very little mention and its extremely low cost, it is hence forgivable for us to easily delegate the AXl namesake into the "sub-par guitar" category. But should one scrutinies the reviews online, one would realize that the reviews have churned out nothing but positivity, often with the words "value" and "unique" attached to it.

With the introduction of its new Badwater series, AXL aim to further stamp their "value" and "unique" signature.

Cosmetics and physique

Worn, aged, used, chipped, battered and bruised... in other words, relic-ed. This look has somewhat become the new fashion must have for guitars these days. But to replicated the the "perfect" flaws on an axe basically cost many man hours and that, my friends, translates to high prices on the consumer end of the spectrum.

Axl Badwater guitar series attempts to cater the cosmetics to have the aged look without the enormous price tag, and I have to say they did a very good job with it. To start, there are absolutely no lacquer finish to speak off (huge plus point for me). The wooden parts (body and neck) of the made in China piece in this review are especially well done, stressed beyond believe. I have personally gotten the antique brown look, which look like it has been left out to weather over the years. The coolest part is the fire branded AXL logo placed at the headstock, with the headstock itself straying slightly away from Fender's rounded look (the latter design being a turn off for me).

The hardware are also made to look antiqued, as with the pickguard and the back cover, but these, IMO a look a little to fake and unnatural upon close inspection. However, they do complete the look nicely. Any issues with wear and tear will only add on to the beauty of this guitar, which basically makes it all the more road worthy.

Do not be fooled into thinking that this guitar will fall apart at any time. It is in fact a very sturdy piece of equipment, with a solid alder body, sweet C profiled maple neck, and gorgeously darkened-to-look-weathered rosewood fingerboard, which still amazingly retains a superb fret life. Basically none of the aging process affected the playability of this guitar, which I will be touching on next.

Performance

Honestly, I'm not a fan of EMGs active pickups. So the name EMG designed on the stock passive pickups on the guitar immediately switched on the "I-need-to-mod" mentality. After previewing the tone quality with the store's Marshall MG 50, and my own Gearbox software, I was convinced that the stock pickups are worth keeping! The hum on the single coils are inevitable at gain settings, though, so for those who are bothered by that, would probably disagree with me on the previous point. Best to use your own discretion as to cater to your needs at this point.

As said previously, the aged and stress cosmetics have little to know effect on the guitar. I have not yet put this guitar through a really good run, but from the little hours I put in (I had this purchased a day before this review), it has given nothing but quality. No issues with the tuning thus far with the vintage-styled vibrato and tuners. I find it slight hard to adapt to the gauge 9 strings, cos I basically had been using 11s on my other guitar (Ibanez SA 120), but that is the only issue to bring up in terms of playability. Ibanez shred-fans would probably hate the fatter C neck profile (it's definitely no-Wizard), but hell, I think I've become a fan of a C neck profile now ;).

Conclusion

AXL may not be the best of the budget lot, nor is it the most popular (mind you, popular does not necessarily equate best). In fact, very little demand for it has seen the distributors taking in very little stock (I personally found out that they are no longer bringing in anymore of this series after the current stocks are out). But I personally believe that AXL guitars, especially the Badwater series, are serious contender to the beginner-intermediate guitar market. In fact, considering the material used and the inherent tones manifested cos of that, I firmly believe that they far outshine the other, more popular budget brands that falls under the umbrella corp of higher end, well established brands. Some might not mind having a different wood, as the copy of the original is affordable. But a compromise of tone is evitable as such.

One must be aware however that it still has yet to stand through the rigorous test of performance over time. Also, questions about the build quality of its hardware as pointed out by a member of this forum has led me to believe that potential buyers should be highly alert when it comes to the guitar's QC. I'm just lucky mine came pretty fine.

Rating 3 out of 5

Last edited:
I didn't see it there. The only ones available are the SRO Badwaters, and they are not SEs.

I saw this guitar at byleft. They have a few but selling at $250. I have to say that it really looked awesome though I didn't try it the last time was there. Since Ranking has it, I may have a try on it when there.

So THOA, how's the pickup? I mean the tonal sound. I like my guitar 'heavy'. Does the humbucker produce such sound?

Tetra Bro, last I saw at Ranking they are left with this design:

axl_badwater_crackel.jpg

The antique brown look can be found at Music Theme, but last time I check that's the only one left.

I know about ByLeft. I'm surprised about the price too, but I didn't ask whether they have discount. The price I listed in the review is what Ranking/Music Theme is selling it for. With Ranking, it's the price before discount, though.

As for the pickups, I really have no complains about it, considering the entire guitar cost me slightly more than 200. The humbucker is quite high output, tone a bit on the bright side, but that's something expected on an alder bodied guitar. On a driven Marshall, can be a bit too trebly and messy on the higher frets. But nothing that cannot be fixed with a bit of tweaking on the amp's eq and the tone knob on the guitar. I can chug ok with it, especially on the lower frets.

IF I ever consider changing pickups, yes I MIGHT consider changing the humbucker for something warmer. Am probably will after I get sick of the tone. I definitely am changing the strings, not liking the stock ones, the gauge a bit too thin for me. Pick up height need to adjust a bit to suit my taste also also.

But as of now it's nothing that I will die playing with. I had worse stock pickups on my Ibanez SA, heh.

Last edited:
Hmm.

Tried this guitar myself at Ranking and I have to say that the only complaints I can possibly have is that the hardware (tuning machines, bridge saddles) definitely need upgrading:

Tuners kept slipping (perhaps a screwdriver to tighten them will suffice?) and I'm not confident since just by doing blues bends I could throw the guitar out of tune, that the tremolo will stay in tune either.

Another gripe: why can't it come stock with 22-frets???

I didn't try the other guitar(s) they have in stock. My bad. Should have done so for a more fair review.

I am having no problems with the tuners and trem on mine for now. Stays in tune pretty ok. Like I said in the final bit, the guitar has yet to stand the test of frequent heavy usage. All impressions come from early stages of play.

I do realise however, that the QC may not be stringent as it is may be on certain more established brands. So I would say a thorough check on the guitar would be encouraged.

With that in mind perhaps I did some edits to my original review, in lieu of your experience with the guitar. Thank you for sharing. :)

As for the 22-frets, not sure if the website can provide the answer: http://www.axlguitars.com

Actually, for low-end guitars with tremolos, some actually stay in tune pretty well with a hardtail bridge. If you don't use a tremolo, you can add two high-tension springs to the back, effectively 'hardtailing' the bridge temporarily. I did that with my Ibanez. You can do that with pretty much any electric that has a Fender-style, non-locking tremolo.

I made a check on my Axl recently and I found that it has been installed with four springs; three brand new stock springs and one old tarnished springs.

I suspect the extra spring was fitted in during the guitar's set up before display at Ranking.

Took the opportunity to swap the three newer springs with the three springs on my Ibanez (which are as old and tarnshed as the extra spring). Did not have as much tension as before, but the four springs still do their job in giving it that pretty decent fight back tension when whammying.

The tuners on my guitar are pretty tight, which I actually prefer, cos I know that there's no problem of it running out of tune because of loose tuners. I'm not too sure about its tuning ratio, though. Will need to check again on that.

I have one of these, the brown relic-ed one. I got it from Musictheme at a very nice price, of which I shall not divulge!

It was upon Mr. Crawldaddy's enthusiastic recommendations that I first got to know of the AXL Badwaters range.

When I first set eyes on it, first thing that came to mind was that this is a great guitar to mod.
And mod it I did! I changed the pups, the electronics, the knobs, the tuner heads, the nut, the saddles, everything upgraded!

Except for the damned bridge. I still haven't found a replacement for it due to it's uncommon screw placements.

To be honest, after the mods, it plays like a dream. It's really the ideal guitar for mods, since it's so damned cheap.

The inlays have started to fall off though. And I'm probably getting them replaced.

For those who are keen to get one of these, please please please for goodness sake give it a good, through test. The first one that I tried had a totally mis-aligned neck. So there're a few lemons, but if you find a nice one, it's really a keeper.

not sure bout ranking but tymc has got one of them: the non-distressed SSS strat. tried it just now when collecting my guitar. played quite awesome, though i would definitely change pups

Latest posts

Back