Article: $8,000 Development Assistance for bands and artistes

soft

Administrator
Staff member
View attachment 234
A leg-up for the music sector – uncovering and developing more local music

Consumption of music is changing. Consumers may not always go through an entire album to seek out the best songs. Today, it is possible that one good song is all it takes to gain recognition by the public through the airwaves or the Internet.

Recognising this, and to encourage more local music content to be developed, uncovered, and move on to enjoy commercial success, a grant of up to $8,000 under Development Assistance is now given to unsigned bands and artistes to produce a music single and a press kit.

In addition, for artistes and bands that are already signed to music labels, they will get grants of up to 40% of Singapore Spend to produce their Extended Plays (EPs) and albums under Production Assistance. EPs refer to musical recordings that usually contain four or five tracks in a single format.

Click here for details

You can view the page at http://www.soft.com.sg/forum/content.php?283-8-000-Development-Assistance-for-bands-and-artistes

Last edited:
Do take note of this CLAUSE NO. 3.5 --
Grant MDA royalty-free, world-wide licence to use and make copies of the produced content for non-commercial use.

Edit: I wld like to bring this up for discussion. More cons than pros? Thoughts?

Last edited:
Grant MDA royalty-free, world-wide licence to use and make copies of the produced content for non-commercial use.

Edit: I wld like to bring this up for discussion. More cons than pros? Thoughts?

They would deserve it if they have sponsored your production and promoted it :) Good publicity. Future productions won't be under their control :)

I think it is very fair if they want to use the content as a showcase of their effort/grant. The only worry is getting pass the paperwork and 'requirements' for getting the grant.

Definitely. The "requirements" seem to be set in place to target semi-established artistes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi MrBlade,

I've worked at MDA before - trust me, MDA doesn't want your music. They want to help you in fact to promote it. Note the word "non-commercial" use. I would guess that it's something to protect themselves from rogue musicians who turn around and say govt use their music to make money.
I think this is a great thing for local musicians who complain that no one supports them, govt is finally putting their money where their mouth is.

Pier.

Latest posts

Back